Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162197 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2870 on: July 18, 2008, 01:15:43 am »
I know about the switch but I was told I didn't need a box. Because I have a HD tv and the cable screws into the back of things (TV, DVD, etc). So everyone is getting a box now, and that's why they are making DVDs without a tuner? That doesn't make much sense, does it?

I feel like such a dingbat! :laugh:

It used to be I had the upper edge 20 years ago when VCRs were new. Everyone called me to come over and hook them up because I was so good at it. But now... :-\

it is insane...I dont' know WHAT is going on...things seem like they are getting MUCH more complicated instead of easier. I mean, you bought a VCR you hooked it up and boom...there you were.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2871 on: July 18, 2008, 01:18:49 am »
it is insane...I dont' know WHAT is going on...things seem like they are getting MUCH more complicated instead of easier. I mean, you bought a VCR you hooked it up and boom...there you were.

YES!!! :laugh:

It's not like that anymore! Did you click on the link and look at the list? Nearly half of those damn things don't have a tuner. And I have no idea what the OTHER half is talking about. I'm in big trouble I guess. Alex is staying out of it. I think he's enjoying my confusion! >:( ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2872 on: July 21, 2008, 12:03:59 am »
Alex and I just came back from gassing up the car. I decided to do it tonight so I wouldn't have to face the lines tomorrow during rush hour. On the way back we saw a dead raccoon laying in the middle of the street. So I decided to pull over and get him off the road. To make a long story short, the damn thing wasn't dead. He bit me. Twice. Damn that hurt like HELL. Anyway, I placed him over in the grassy area just off of the shoulder, and I'm hoping he will be okay. Maybe he was just stunned because I didn't see any blood on the road. I'm not sure about the blood though because it was dark, but my car's headlights were shining on it. God, that scared the crap out of me when he reached up and bit me like that! LOL

injest

« Reply #2873 on: July 21, 2008, 12:08:42 am »
Alex and I just came back from gassing up the car. I decided to do it tonight so I wouldn't have to face the lines tomorrow during rush hour. On the way back we saw a dead raccoon laying in the middle of the street. So I decided to pull over and get him off the road. To make a long story short, the damn thing wasn't dead. He bit me. Twice. Damn that hurt like HELL. Anyway, I placed him over in the grassy area just off of the shoulder, and I'm hoping he will be okay. Maybe he was just stunned because I didn't see any blood on the road. I'm not sure about the blood though because it was dark, but my car's headlights were shining on it. God, that scared the crap out of me when he reached up and bit me like that! LOL

DAVID! you are going to the doctor in the morning. That raccoon may have had rabies. Seriously, I am not joking. Go to the doctor in the morning. You can die from that. In fact you need to go now to the emergency room. Wild animal bites are not something to mess with.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2874 on: July 21, 2008, 12:12:40 am »
No, he doesn't have rabies Jess. He wasn't foaming at the mouth. I think he was just very stunned. It was obvious a car clipped him.

injest

« Reply #2875 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:31 am »
No, he doesn't have rabies Jess. He wasn't foaming at the mouth. I think he was just very stunned. It was obvious a car clipped him.

David I am not joking. Animals can carry rabies for weeks before they show symptoms. It is EXTREMELY important for you to go to the doctor as soon as possible. The vaccine is very effective but if you wait til you have symptoms it is almost always fatal. Dont play around with this....

look, call your doctors answering service...see what they say.

pnwDUDE

« Reply #2876 on: July 21, 2008, 01:37:08 am »
On a 20 year average, two people die a year in the US from rabies. Some years, there are zero deaths, and rabies transmission to humans is very rare. Bats are the number one rabies carrier. Skunk bites are second. I couldn't find any incidents of rabie exposure by a raccoon in the us. CDC believes no dogs in the US carry the rabies virus. Medical experts say wash the bite and get stitches if severe enough, but the chance of getting rabies is next to nothing.

Of course Jess does worry, and I believe the last death from rabies was in Texas, but it was a small child getting bitten by a bat, and the initial symptoms were mis-diagnosed. I think you will be ok David.

Brad

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2877 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:50 am »

You really need to go to the Dr and have that checked. Seriously, it doesn't have to be foaming atthe mouth.
It's probably ok but still, don't take chances!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2878 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:39 pm »
Thanks for the concern everyone. I am fine. :D

I did get some shots last night and it really hurt. He gave one to me right in the bite area in my hand. OUCH! I received two more in my arm. Anyway, the Indiana DNR was notified, and they went out to find the raccoon, and they found him exactly where I told them I left him. He must have passed away just after I moved him off the road.   :'(  :'(  Either that, or they ended up killing him themselves (  >:( ) because I found out from a friend the animal must be killed in order for it to be tested. That really makes me very mad and sad. I expect to hear something from my doctor soon to find out if I must start the series of rabies shots. God, I sure do hope not. At least they don't give them in the stomach anymore like they did when I was a little kid.

He bit me much deeper than I had realized. When it happened it felt like a couple of light nips, but later after inspecting it thoroughly, he managed to bite way down deep, in the part of my hand between the base of my index finger and my thumb. That's where he got me. It's a bit swollen, and it hurts when I type with that hand. But I'll be okay.

Thanks for your posts of concern! :D

injest

« Reply #2879 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:53 am »
{{{{David}}}}