Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2162090 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2860 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:59 pm »
Have you ever seen that movie before Jess? It's pretty funny. :laugh:

no I never have!

tell me if you see it come on again and I will peek at it...as long as it is not too scary!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2861 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:27 am »
no I never have!

tell me if you see it come on again and I will peek at it...as long as it is not too scary!

No, it's not scary at all Jess. It's a comedy! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2862 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:44 am »
DVD Misery!

My DVD recorder is broken and I've been shopping for a new one. But it's getting very confusing because I've found out many of the DVD recorders for sale do not have TV tuners built into them!

Huh?

Does anyone know why they are doing this? Even 25 years ago the VCRs had TV tuners built into them. Why are they stopping it now? Here's a link which will help illustrate what I am talking about. Notice how many recorders do not have TV tuners....

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/DVD-recorders/sem/rpsm/c/1/catOid/-12876/N/20012866+20012872+20012876/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

It's all very confusing. I simply need a DVD player which will allow me to screw a cable cord into the back of it! It used to be such a simple thing to go out and buy a new VCR or DVD player. >:(  But not anymore, I guess.  :-\

And what is a SDTV tuner? Or a SD/ATSC tuner? Or a iLink connection? ???

I'd really like to find a DVD recorder which also includes a VCR, like my old machine. Fortunately my DVD recorder still plays DVDs, but it doesn't record anymore. It says "internal system error" when I push the record button. I bought the extended service contract when I purchased the machine, and it stopped working about a month after the contract expired. Go figure! :laugh:

injest

« Reply #2863 on: July 18, 2008, 12:30:49 am »
I feel you man! The guy at Best Buy wanted me to buy a new tv!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2864 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:08 am »
I feel you man! The guy at Best Buy wanted me to buy a new tv!!

Just because you needed a new DVD player?

I have a Best Buy story to tell you Jess. When I was living in Evansville, my friend Keith walked in there to buy a new tv set. When he was offered the extended service contract and declined it, the salesman told him he couldn't sell the tv to Keith unless he also bought the contract. After a few minutes of arguing, Keith started to walk out the door and told the salesman he was going over to Target and buy it. And he did! He bought the very same TV, no pressure, and if I remember correctly I think Keith said it was $15.00 cheaper. :laugh:

Isn't that awful? They wouldn't sell him a tv unless he bought the service contract! Jeez. ::)  I'm all in favor of service contracts, but hells bells, customers shouldn't be pressured like that. I don't trust Best Buy anymore. When I bought this computer they encouraged me to spend an extra $10.00 and join the "Reward Zone". The saleman told me if I joined it, I would receive a gift certificate for approximately $160.00 in the mail. Well, I never received it. When I called Best Buy about it, they said it was sent out in the mail several months ago, and if I didn't receive it they couldn't send me another one. It was against company policies! >:(

There was something awfully screwy with that deal Jess! I just don't trust them anymore. I do most of my electronics shopping at Circuit City now. :D

injest

« Reply #2865 on: July 18, 2008, 12:56:25 am »
dang that Best Buy!

they think just cause they have those little bug cars they think they are cool!

>:( >:( >:(

hey! Dana says you need to go to Radio Shack and get a 'RF modulater' and hook it up to the tv on one side and the DVD on the other....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2866 on: July 18, 2008, 01:01:18 am »
dang that Best Buy!

they think just cause they have those little bug cars they think they are cool!

>:( >:( >:(

hey! Dana says you need to go to Radio Shack and get a 'RF modulater' and hook it up to the tv on one side and the DVD on the other....

Which? The DVD I have now (will that make it record?) or the DVD I will be purchasing? Which one Jess?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2867 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:28 am »
Ask Dana why they are suddenly doing this Jess. Why? It used to be you could buy one of these machines, screw in the cable cord and the damn thing worked! It was simple. Now, they have all these different things, and half of them don't even have a tv tuner in them! I don't get it. Do most people have cable boxes all of a sudden? I mean, what's the deal here? I don't understand it. Even a couple of years ago when I bought this DVD recorder that just recently broke, I didn't even have to pay attention to anything like that. I just saw it, bought it, brought it home and attached it. They've just suddenly started doing this within the past couple of years. Why are they doing it? ???

What's an RF modulater?

injest

« Reply #2868 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:33 am »
it is for the new one,

I think it is because of the switch next year from analog to digital....you know about that, right?? when they are gonna stop broadcasting like they used to and going all digital so you need that little box. I suspect that in a couple of years everything will have the tuners built back in again..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2869 on: July 18, 2008, 01:12:41 am »
it is for the new one,

I think it is because of the switch next year from analog to digital....you know about that, right?? when they are gonna stop broadcasting like they used to and going all digital so you need that little box. I suspect that in a couple of years everything will have the tuners built back in again..

I know about the switch but I was told I didn't need a box. Because I have a HD tv and the cable screws into the back of things (TV, DVD, etc). So everyone is getting a box now, and that's why they are making DVDs without a tuner? That doesn't make much sense, does it?

I feel like such a dingbat! :laugh:

It used to be I had the upper edge 20 years ago when VCRs were new. Everyone called me to come over and hook them up because I was so good at it. But now... :-\