Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2120210 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Messages From The Heartland
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:00:38 am »
After reading some of the wonderful diaries, blogs and journals here, I felt inspired to give it a try. It's not easy though. I'm staring at a blank screen and I really don't know where to start.

My name is David and I live in Indianapolis, Indiana U.S.A. With the exception of 1 1/2 years in Plantation (Fort Lauderdale) Florida, I have lived in Indiana my entire life. I am often surprised how little non Hoosiers know about our state, so maybe I should begin by telling you about Indiana.

Indiana is small. Except for Hawaii, Indiana is the smallest state west of the Appalachian Mountains, neatly tucked between Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky. If you were to look at a map of Indiana, you would probably notice that it vaguely resembles a boot, with its toe pointing to the west. The Ohio River runs the full length of our southern border with Kentucky, and Lake Michigan just barely touches the northwestern corner of the state. Indiana is full of intense natural beauty. But the beauty here is also very quiet. We don't have any mountains, nor do we have any oceans or beaches. Indiana is hot and humid in the summer, and it is cold and snowy in the wintertime. The beauty of my state is found far from its interstates and highways. Indiana's beauty is in the smell of magnolias after a soft spring rain, and in the lonely howl of a coyote. It will be found in an old covered bridge spanning a babbling creek hidden deep in the woods. It can be found in the gentle rolling hills of southern Indiana or in the rustic brilliance of autumn; the foliage ablaze in crimson, yellow, deep orange and every imaginable hue in between. The beauty of Indiana is found in its simplicity; the sound of horse hooves clapping the road as it pulls an Amish buggy, the smell of fresh apple butter simmering over an open fire, the soft sands along the shores of Lake Michigan, an old paddle wheel riverboat gently plowing down the Ohio or Wabash river, or in the shimmering Indianapolis skyline late at night.

Indiana is nicknamed the "Crossroads of America" and for a good reason. 2/3 of America's population live within a one day drive of our little state, and America's interstates and highways stretch across Indiana like a giant spider web. Most out of staters, when driving through Indiana, seem to speed across the Hoosier state as if they were competing in the Indianapolis 500. I have often wondered why. I think they are trying to get out of Indiana as fast as they possibly can. I suppose I can't blame them. We have no Disney Worlds or palm fringed beaches here. With the exception of Indianapolis, things move much slower here and Hoosiers are staunchly proud of their little state.

What is a Hoosier? Simply put, a Hoosier (pronounced WHO-sher) is someone who lives in Indiana. Ask any Hoosier how we earned the moniker and you will likely hear as many theories as there are Hoosiers. Every Hoosier has his or her own explanation, but in reality, nobody really knows for sure. The most plausible explanation though (at least in this Hoosier's opinion) is probably due to Samuel Hoosier, who preferred hiring Indiana men rather than Kentuckians to strengthen the levees and canals along the Ohio River. Eventually they became known as "Hoosier's Men", and later simply "Hoosiers". Ask a another Hoosier though, and you'll probably get another answer.

I am 44 years old (just barely) and I enjoy music, movies, spending time with friends and family, and basketball. Basketball is almost a religion here in Indiana, and like most Hoosiers, I spend many hours cheering on the Indiana Pacers or our much beloved I.U. (Indiana Unviersity) Go Big Red!  :D  I have played the cello, violin and piano since I was a child, and I belong to an amateur chamber orchestra here in Indianapolis. I  have loved classical and baroque music all my life. Country music is very popular in Indiana and being the good Hoosier I am, I love it too. I also love Classic Rock (Boston, Eagles, REO Speedwagon, Kansas and Styx just to name a few).

My mother passed away from Leukemia September 22, 2003 and I still have a difficult time dealing with her death. I suppose it really doesn't matter how old you are; it's always painful when a parent dies. My father is still alive. He has Parkinson's disease. He is coping with the disease pretty well. He still tries to play golf when he can, and he loves to go to the country club and play poker with his friends. I sometimes worry he will be passing away soon. I have one sister, one niece, one nephew, one great niece and one great nephew. My family has had a difficult time accepting my homosexuality though, and my sister, niece and nephew have made the decision to live their lives separate from me. Homosexuality can be a hard pill to swallow for many Hoosiers.

I am nearly 1/3 Native American. My mother was Oglala Lakota and Louisiana French. She taught me many things about my fellow Lakota people and the great Sioux Nation. I am also part Choctaw. I am currently learning how to speak Lakota. It is a very difficult language. My father is Dutch/English. My grandfather taught me many things about Holland. I spoke fluent Dutch as a child, but soon after grandpa died, we stopped speaking it. Unfortunately I have forgotten much of it, but I do have many fond memories of my grandfather and of the many stories he told us about the old country. He taught me "it isn't Dutch" to complain or brag. I try very hard to remember his lessons every day.

I am an animal lover. I have a 2 1/2 year old Golden Retriever named Cody, a black and white cat named Oreo and two gold fish named Jesse and Taco. I am blessed with many friends, and friends stop by day and night. Sometimes I get irritated because it seems I never have any quiet time for myself. But I always try to remember how miserable it would be if I didn't have so many wonderful friends. When I remind myself of this, the noise and chaos that so often fills my home suddenly sounds like music and I am grateful for it.

That is enough for now. We Hoosiers have a tendency to ramble on and on. Feel free to post anytime you want. I always enjoy reading new posts and messages.

I guess I will post some more tomorrow. Have a great day friend!  :D

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:50:04 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:13:31 am »
Hi David.  I enjoyed your post, learned a few things too.  i'll check for more tomorrow. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:43:24 am »
Hi David.  I enjoyed your post, learned a few things too.  i'll check for more tomorrow. :)

Thanks for your encouraging words Dev!

I will post some more tomorrow.  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:54:37 am »
Hey! Cikala Kimimila here...  ;)

I love how you describe Indiana, you really make it come alive, I knew you also had that writer's gift!

You wrote:

It can be found in an old covered bridge spanning a babbling creek deep in the woods.

I wonder, this is also featured in the Bridges of Madison County (a film which, by the way, has a LOT in common with BBM), but that movie wasn't filmed in Indiana, was it?

My other question is:
Why are the bridges covered?

Enneh... je weet het he, je Nederlands is hardstikke goed en wordt binnenkort nog beter want dan gaan we in het Nederlands e-mailen!

Love, Mel
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 07:01:01 am by mvansand76 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:39:54 pm »

Enneh... je weet het he, je Nederlands is hardstikke goed en wordt binnenkort nog beter want dan gaan we in het Nederlands e-mailen!

Love, Mel

hmm... daar zullen we nog over nadenken!

I'm really not sure where "Bridges of Madison County" was filmed. I believe it took place in Iowa, but I don't know where it was actually filmed. The covered bridges in the movie look exactly the same as our covered bridges here.

Why are they covered. That's another good question Melissa. I have wondered about this too. We still have many covered bridges here and most of them can be found between Indianapolis and Terre Haute, Indiana. Parke County Indiana touts itself as the "Covered Bridge Capital of the World". There are many covered bridges in Parke County. Most of the covered bridges here in Indiana were built between 1850 - 1900 (which is considered old in this part of the country). The bridges are now protected as historical landmarks and they will be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

Scott6373

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:41:52 pm »
Hiya David.  Enjoyed your post.  Hope to read more somtime.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:02:24 pm »
David,

That was a very nice and descriptive post. Enjoyed reading it very much!

I have been through Indianna several times We used to go to Chicago alot. Lots of farm land.   . But once several years ago, I went to see a relative graduate from Notre Dame in SouthBend. That was quite an event. Such a beautiful university.

I was wondering about the covered bridges too. Do you think they covered them so the horses or cattle wouldnt be afraid to cross over the water? Thats what I always thought anyways.

Geri
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »
hmm... daar zullen we nog over nadenken!

I'm really not sure where "Bridges of Madison County" was filmed. I believe it took place in Iowa, but I don't know where it was actually filmed. The covered bridges in the movie look exactly the same as our covered bridges here.

Why are they covered. That's another good question Melissa. I have wondered about this too. We still have many covered bridges here and most of them can be found between Indianapolis and Terre Haute, Indiana. Parke County Indiana touts itself as the "Covered Bridge Capital of the World". There are many covered bridges in Parke County. Most of the covered bridges here in Indiana were built between 1850 - 1900 (which is considered old in this part of the country). The bridges are now protected as historical landmarks and they will be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

Hiya! I see you're online.... I have found something on covered bridges on wikipedia:

Covered bridges are generally considered old-fashioned, and appeal to tourists, but the purpose is twofold: (1) covered bridges appear similar to barns and it is easier to transport cattle across them without startling them, and (2) to build a structure for weather protection over the working part of the bridge. A bridge built entirely out of wood, without any protective coating, may last 10 to 15 years. Builders discovered that if the bridge's underpinnings were protected with a roof, the bridge could stand for 70, or even 80 years. The existing covered bridges have been renovated using concrete footings and steel trusses to hold additional weight and to replace the original support timbers.Some covered bridges, such as the one in Newton Falls, Ohio and Elizabethton, Tennessee, also feature an integrated covered walkway.

Interesting huh?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 04:04:18 pm »
Melissa and Geri -

You both figured it out! Now that I think about it, it does make perfect sense. Animals are often frightened of moving water.

Another strange Indiana oddity is the round barn. Actually they could be seen in many parts of the country, but Indiana became famous for them. Most of them are gone now. There was a round barn down the road from my childhood home. It was painted white. They tore the barn down more than 20 years ago.

The animal stalls were located in the middle of the barn, so the farmer could move around the animals more easily, saving him time when feeding and tending to them. The round barn proved to be far less practical than originally thought and soon they stopped building them. Most of the round barns here in Indiana were either painted white or dark red. I always thought they looked a little bit like a circus tent.

I haven't thought about round barns in years. I suppose our little discussion about covered bridges triggered my memory.  :D

A round barn in Medora (Jackson County) Indiana
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 10:07:41 pm by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:05:27 pm »
Hiya David.  Enjoyed your post.  Hope to read more somtime.

Thanks for the compliments Scott! I hope you do come back sometime and post your thoughts.