Author Topic: Brokeback humor that I don't find funny...is it just me?  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Brokeback humor that I don't find funny...is it just me?
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:21:29 pm »
From Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/business/healthcare/feeds/ap/2006/11/15/ap3179266.html

"Nevada's senators - both winning leadership posts in opposite parties - pledged Wednesday to stay close on issues of mutual interest, but not too close.

"He and I just like each other, and I think we set a good example here in the Senate," Majority Leader-elect Harry Reid said of colleague John Ensign, who was chosen Wednesday by Senate Republicans to head their campaign fundraising operation.

"He's a Republican, I'm a Democrat, we work together on issues that are important to the state of Nevada. And I wish other people had the same nonaggression pact we have," Reid told reporters. "It's not a 'Brokeback Mountain' situation," he added, referring to last year's film about two gay cowboy lovers.
..."
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Brokeback humor that I don't find funny...is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:25:07 pm »
From Dear Abby a few days earlier...(I like her advice here.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucda/20061108/lf_ucda/gaybashingbysinglemenisnotproofofmanliness

DEAR ABBY: When I go to parties or functions, I often hear subtle or direct gay-bashing. The source is never married people. Married people talk about their kids. No, it is usually single men, often ones who are ex-jocks.

I have also observed this behavior in different social settings and non-professional athletic competitions. The source is always single men.

I'm single and live with my girlfriend. After a divorce and two kids, I don't feel the need to justify that I'm a single man who likes women. (I didn't feel that way before I was married, either.)

I have never challenged these single men who put down gay people, so I don't know what's going on in their heads. I can only theorize that they "bash" gays in order to prove to the rest of us that they are heterosexual males.

Could you please explain to these people that others do not think they are gay just because they're single? Today, men and women stay single longer, and sometimes, by preference or fate -- never marry. Could you inform your readers what is going on out in the world -- at least the ones in this Midwestern city -- and suggest a retort? Perhaps when someone starts with a gay joke, the standard reply should be ...? -- SINGLE AND OFFENDED IN KANSAS CITY, MO.

DEAR OFFENDED: I agree with your theory that men who tell gay "jokes" are probably insecure on some level about their own masculinity. And the most deeply closeted or insecure can be the most vocal in an effort to hide their own leanings and fit in.

One way to discourage such comments when you hear them would be to reply, "I don't find that particularly funny. Why do you think it's funny?" Then let them try to explain. Or, you might say, "You might think that's funny -- but has it occurred to you that someone here might have a gay relative and be hurt by that kind of humor?" I'll bet the thought that they could be surrounded by people who think they are tasteless, insecure or not too bright has never occurred to them.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
I don't find Reid's comment funny, either. It reminds me of the jokes last winter... there was a homophobic edge to many of them. And many of the jokes were told by people who I had hoped weren't homophobic... Democratic activists, NPR reporters, and so forth.

At the time, I brushed it off, thinking that it was just cool that this little movie was getting so much attention. But now it just makes me sad.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 02:45:21 pm »
"He and I just like each other, and I think we set a good example here in the Senate."
"He's a Republican, I'm a Democrat, we work together on issues that are important to the state of Nevada. And I wish other people had the same nonaggression pact we have."

^ Yes, it says a lot about his insecurity that he has to qualify the perfectly neutral (and refreshing) statement above by adding a "We're not gay" clause to it.

:-\

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:26:12 pm »
Brokeback Mountain has been added to the vernacular language - really in both positive and negative ways.  Culturally, I cannot think of any other phenomenon like this that has taken hold so quickly and so pervasively.  Maybe some anthropologists or sociologists have some examples?

I'm trying to look at it as when it's used with the negative connotations, I have one more opportunity that I might not otherwise have to wave my rainbow flag.  ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:48:53 pm »
^ Yes, it says a lot about his insecurity that he has to qualify the perfectly neutral (and refreshing) statement above by adding a "We're not gay" clause to it.

Although it might also be a sign that American politics (maybe that should just read politics in general) has so many minds that belong in playgrounds that even the slightest hint of endorsing something gay will result in namecalling, ever-so-witty headlines and political savagery of the worst sort.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear politicians laughing and pointing at some political opponent and questioning the colour of his or her underwear while yelling "Stinky Britches".*

I realise that there must be some country more mature in their political leadership, but I've never been there.

*As a slight off-topic an Australian politician once said in parliament/congress "The Right honourable gentleman is such a wimp he has to get out of the shower to take a leak."  :-\ wow, the finest minds are leading us.
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 09:46:01 am »
Here's a rather funny site that pokes fun at the Brokeback jokes:

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/2006/03/brokeback.html

The Time spoof in particular will appeal to people who don't consider Ronnie Reagan a sacred cow.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:23:24 pm »
Spoofs of anything make me want to curl up and die. Unless i don't like them to begin with. Obviouslty, BBM does not fall into the category of things I don't lie.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 07:13:07 am »
Brokeback Mountain has been added to the vernacular language - really in both positive and negative ways.  Culturally, I cannot think of any other phenomenon like this that has taken hold so quickly and so pervasively.

I talked to my best friend at the monastery yesterday and he said that he read somewhere that this Brokeback Mountain "thing?" is being called a dividing point in our culture. i.e., Before Brokeback, After Brokeback.  Incredible!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 01:51:38 pm »
I talked to my best friend at the monastery yesterday and he said that he read somewhere that this Brokeback Mountain "thing?" is being called a dividing point in our culture. i.e., Before Brokeback, After Brokeback.  Incredible!

Do you think he could remember anything at all about where he read that?  I'd love to find it and post it here!  I know that I certainly divide my own life into B.B. and A.B.!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."