Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 538362 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1330 on: January 13, 2007, 04:34:22 pm »
Some more thoughts about Wayne and his bizarre behaviour:

I think it was DavidinHartford who memorably described Ellery as 'the Mayor of Queer Laramie' (or something similar). His marriage to Ennis and now the prospect of a 'reception' would no doubt be the biggest event in queer Laramie's social calendar, if not the only one. Naturally, everyone who knows Ellery and Ennis would be clamouring to be there. When he was the bartender, Wayne was a relatively significant figure in that community, and perhaps now that he has lost his job and possibly is about to lose access to the bar itself, he is anxious to hold onto whatever links he is able to maintain. Probably his only friends are those in the gay community, even though he seems to be going out of his way to antagonise them all.

It is interesting to remember that Wayne was in fact the very first gay man (apart from Jack) that Ennis ever met and talked to, on the day he went into the bar at the start of 'Taking Chances'. Ennis didn't like him very much even then, of course. 

It was Leslie who described Ellery as "Mayor of Queerville" - and, yes, it's a great line, isnt' it?  Yep, I certainly agree with your thoughts about Wayne and his panic at being left on the outside looking in at the only life he has.  How sad.  Yes, it is interesting to note that Wayne was the first gay man he met in Laramie - and also interesting to remember that Wayne (and Bill)  wondered if Ennis was a straight man out to cause trouble in the bar.

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1331 on: January 13, 2007, 04:50:04 pm »
  And to be fair, maybe Ennis isn't quite as forgiving of Wayne as everyone else  because of the Bill fiasco and Wayne's involvement there - Ennis got another punch in the face from Bill because of it.  But Wayne did finally come clean about it.  

Can you remind me of the details about this? Thanks Marie.

PS Great covers Milli!!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1332 on: January 13, 2007, 05:02:11 pm »
yes, today I was gadding about doing OTHER THINGS, like shopping, exercising, and... formatting another novel, which those on my friends list have been notified about.  All discussion of the "Romance" story mentioned in my LJ, however, will have to be conducted on the LJ community I set up for it.

and now for the moment you have all been waiting for - or not!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/200601.html  "18.  Pookie's Punishment"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1333 on: January 13, 2007, 05:57:19 pm »
I'm confused - and I hope I'm not the only one!

Why does Lauren get to be the one who creates the guest list for E & E's reception? Didn't Ellery say to Wayne in Ch. 17 that it was up to Ennis to decide who gets invited, and it seemed pretty clear from that chapter that Wayne would NOT be invited. So how come Simon believes he can order Lauren to put Wayne back on the list? What's it got to do with either of them?

Someone please tell me what it is I'm not getting here.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1334 on: January 13, 2007, 06:04:44 pm »
Way back in "The Red Stallion", Wes made an agreement with Lauren to plan, in conjunction with Edna, a reception for Ennis and Ellery, subject to the happy couple agreeing to hold the party.  Lauren's responsibility is to recommend guests from the bar, and Edna's to recommend guests from the Sheriff's department.

As formal receptions go, these lists are not the invitee list, but the recommended invitee list, and yes, Ennis and Ellery get the final say on who really gets to come.  But if Lauren leaves Wayne off the recommendation list then it says something.  And Simon, from his vantage point, does not know that Ennis had already said he did not want Wayne to come.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1335 on: January 13, 2007, 06:12:06 pm »
Can you remind me of the details about this? Thanks Marie.

PS Great covers Milli!!

Sure, Jo.  Chapters 38 and 40 from "Looking for Answers."  A brief summary - There is a warrant out for Bill's arrest.  Wayne, who is still the bartender at the bar, is aware of this and has been told that he should call Ellery or the sheriff if he sees Bill.  Wayne show up at Ellery's house when Ellery is on his way back from Texas and says he needs to speak to Ellery.  After Ennis forces it out of him, Wayne confesses that he has been hiding Bill at his house for a few days. Naturally, this infuriates Ennis and Ennis drags Wayne down to the sheriff's office to give over the information.  When Ennis returns home, still upset about this, the doorbell rings and he answers it without looking first . . . and Bill punches him again (this time in the jaw; the first time in the head when Ennis suffered the concussion which caused to his legbone).  Ennis is unhappy -  to put it mildly.  Later, when the illegal videotapes are found to have been planted in Ennis's truck, Ellery figures out that Bill probably planted them there on the night he punched Ennis. 

Now, I as I said, I don't think this incident is at the core of Ennis's dislike for Wayne (he didn't like him before this); I do think that to Ennis, it is another example of Wayne's poor judgment and a reason not to trust him.  Nothing is simple when it comes to Wayne!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1336 on: January 13, 2007, 06:19:38 pm »
Now, I as I said, I don't think this incident is at the core of Ennis's dislike for Wayne (he didn't like him before this); I do think that to Ennis, it is another example of Wayne's poor judgment and a reason not to trust him.  Nothing is simple when it comes to Wayne!

Marie

LOL, that's the truth!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1337 on: January 13, 2007, 06:31:58 pm »
Way back in "The Red Stallion", Wes made an agreement with Lauren to plan, in conjunction with Edna, a reception for Ennis and Ellery, subject to the happy couple agreeing to hold the party.  Lauren's responsibility is to recommend guests from the bar, and Edna's to recommend guests from the Sheriff's department.

As formal receptions go, these lists are not the invitee list, but the recommended invitee list, and yes, Ennis and Ellery get the final say on who really gets to come.  But if Lauren leaves Wayne off the recommendation list then it says something.  And Simon, from his vantage point, does not know that Ennis had already said he did not want Wayne to come.

Thanks, Louise, this makes the situation much clearer.

What about running a poll on "Should Wayne be invited to E&E's reception?"

a) No, not under any circumstances - lock him in a cell for the day so he can't get near the place.
b) Yes, but only after a full and complete apology to everybody he's pissed off, perhaps done in a special ceremony in the bar of the Red Stallion.
c) Yes, but only if he dresses formally in a tuxedo, and is handcuffed and gagged all the time he's there.
d) Yes, make him the MC and provide him with an open mike so he can openly insult everybody there - this would liven the events considerably!
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #1338 on: January 13, 2007, 07:23:41 pm »
Sorry I haven't been around lately.
Between the vertigo and my computer crashing, life's been very frustrating.
I got a really nasty trojan horse virus and the shop had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. I'm rebuilding everything from scratch.  Fortunately, I had backed up all my really important documents and my tons of pictures that I downloaded, etc on a separate hard drive.

The bad news is, I've lost some things from Windows that I had before that I do not have discs for. (Like Microsoft Word for example.)  Today I discovered that when I try to open any of my .jpg files, they open in some stupid, useless thing called Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.  Now I can't resize or crop the pics or anything - which I could do before when there were drop-down menus across the top of the window.  I have no idea what it was called, but I know it wasn't Adobe.  Does anyone know what I mean?  You could open several pics side by side, move them, change the size, etc.  Now, that capability is just - gone.

I guess my other question is:  what do most people use to collect, look at, and edit their .jpg pics?

Thanx in advance.
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1339 on: January 13, 2007, 08:12:08 pm »
Navy Vet,

According to my husband, try this:

Go to windows explorer and open your photo folder (or wherever your jpg's reside). One you have a jpg listed in the index, right click on it. From the drop down menu, pick Open With. This will give you the default programs that open jpg's...right now it seems like you are getting Windows Viewer and Fax. Look at the list...hopefully there will be the program you used to use...whatever that was. Anyway, see if you have some options that solve your problem.

If not, check back with us, and we will go to Plan B.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!