Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 538563 times)

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1200 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:59 pm »
More essential minutiae about the Cantrell/del Mar household and its inhabitants that we need answers to:

1. Do they have a cleaner hired to come in or do they do this job themselves? How often? (Ellery doing vacuum cleaning could be wierdly erotic, couldn't it?)

2. What are some their favorite tv programmes? Do they have cable? Do they ever get in conflict about what channel to watch? Who controls the remote?

3. Have there ever been any "Not tonight, dear, I have a headache" moments (legbone-related situations excepted) ?

4. Do they vote Republican or Democrat? Do they feel strongly about busing, nuclear disarmament, and Reagan's 'Star Wars' program?

I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1201 on: January 07, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »
More essential minutiae about the Cantrell/del Mar household and its inhabitants that we need answers to:

1. Do they have a cleaner hired to come in or do they do this job themselves? How often? (Ellery doing vacuum cleaning could be wierdly erotic, couldn't it?)

2. What are some their favorite tv programmes? Do they have cable? Do they ever get in conflict about what channel to watch? Who controls the remote?

3. Have there ever been any "Not tonight, dear, I have a headache" moments (legbone-related situations excepted) ?

4. Do they vote Republican or Democrat? Do they feel strongly about busing, nuclear disarmament, and Reagan's 'Star Wars' program?

my goodness me!

1: they do not have a housekeeper - Ennis compulsively keeps the house clean, and not because he is expected to, but because he seems to need to keep it neat.  However, in an old-fashioned manner, he thinks vacuum cleaners throw dust in the air and he just picks specks up off the carpet most of the time.

2. They watch the Sunday Night Mystery Movie and Ennis managed to get back to his old habit of watching daytime game shows.  He also developed a secret crush on Adam Drake from "The Edge of Night" which comes on at 3:30 in the afternoon while he was sick with his legbone, and was rather pissed off that Adam stepped out on Nicole with that floozy, especially when he really thinks Adam is queer anyway.  He will never, EVER admit to Ellery that he watched a soap opera, however.

3. Ennis once passed out after a three movie marathon when Ellery was expecting some sugar, but Ellery never said anything about it.  It was a rather boring videotape of some Lionheart presentations of Sherlock Holmes that Ellery went for, but since Ennis didn't think the Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) was very sexy, his attention wandered and he nodded off before the entertainment portion of the evening.

4. Ennis doesn't vote, and Ellery doesn't bug him about it, and votes against everything Republican he can think of just because he knows they are funded by religious fundamentalists. 
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1202 on: January 07, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »
my goodness me!

1: they do not have a housekeeper - Ennis compulsively keeps the house clean, and not because he is expected to, but because he seems to need to keep it neat.  However, in an old-fashioned manner, he thinks vacuum cleaners throw dust in the air and he just picks specks up off the carpet most of the time.

2. They watch the Sunday Night Mystery Movie and Ennis managed to get back to his old habit of watching daytime game shows.  He also developed a secret crush on Adam Drake from "The Edge of Night" which comes on at 3:30 in the afternoon while he was sick with his legbone, and was rather pissed off that Adam stepped out on Nicole with that floozy, especially when he really thinks Adam is queer anyway.  He will never, EVER admit to Ellery that he watched a soap opera, however.

3. Ennis once passed out after a three movie marathon when Ellery was expecting some sugar, but Ellery never said anything about it.  It was a rather boring videotape of some Lionheart presentations of Sherlock Holmes that Ellery went for, but since Ennis didn't think the Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) was very sexy, his attention wandered and he nodded off before the entertainment portion of the evening.

4. Ennis doesn't vote, and Ellery doesn't bug him about it, and votes against everything Republican he can think of just because he knows they are funded by religious fundamentalists. 

LOL!  Thanks, Richard, for asking!  That is essential minutiae (and yes, at this point I guess we should be pluralizing that!)

And Thank You, Louise!  I remember The Sunday Night Mystery Movie - "Columbo" was part of that series, right?  One of my favorites!  Ennis getting hooked on "The Edge of Night" and getting a crush on Adam Drake? Oh my God - that is too funny!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I can just picture Ellery coming home early and Ennis quickly changing the channel!    :laugh: :laugh:

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1203 on: January 07, 2007, 08:50:18 pm »
LOL!  Thanks, Richard, for asking!  That is essential minutiae (and yes, at this point I guess we should be pluralizing that!)

No, no, Marie!   It should be 'Those are essential minutiae'.   Correct grammar is so undervalued these days.  ;)

Also, Louise, you overlooked answering the question "who controls the remote?". This is vitally important trivia which we need to know. I'm picking it would be Ennis, as it would be in keeping with his dominant character in the bedroom, and there are some obvious Freudian associations to be made when you think about using the device.  ;) But a good case could be made for Ellery, too, considering it is his home and he might claim priority rights.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1204 on: January 07, 2007, 09:03:05 pm »
oh... who controls the remote? I believe there have been a couple of tussles over the remote earlier in the Laramie Saga and ...

Ellery controls the remote.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1205 on: January 07, 2007, 10:49:56 pm »
No, no, Marie!   It should be 'Those are essential minutiae'.   Correct grammar is so undervalued these days.  ;)

LOL!! Yes, it certainly is, Richard!  I just can't get out of the habit of thinking of minutia in the singular!  I think it's because I like the way it sounds!   :laugh:

And I just realized, Louise - The Sunday Night Mystery Movie included "McMillan & Wife" starring Rock Hudson.  I wonder what Ellery thought of Rock Hudson?  Somehow, I can't see the boys getting as excited about Rock Hudson as they do about Clint Eastwood!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1206 on: January 07, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »
Yeah Louise, it did leave me in a kind of a state. I just felt so desperately unhappy and sad for Jack all over again. I was crying along with Ennis *sigh*

The last chapter was so loving and warm. Wes and Edna are wonderful people with huge giving hearts and I really love them. Ennis and Ellery are so lucky to have them in their lives  :) Wes is just so great with Ennis. And with Ellery.

Hi,
I haven’t been around here long time ( RL), the new story took me kind of aback too letting me sad and happy all  at once I never thought the blissful “reception part” would turn into sorrow, regret and tears but I’m thankful that Jack was not omitted, forgotten in Ennis’s mind even during what is supposed to be the happiest phaze of  his life, that he still feels somehow committed, bound to Jack.   I love the direction you’re leading the story Louise, love Ennis looking for piece, for reconciliation between his two man and his own soul.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1207 on: January 08, 2007, 12:50:34 am »
injest just posted this photo in the "Allure of a Man" thread.

But as soon as I saw it I could only think of Nicky Sampson washing his Red Firebird.  He he he!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1208 on: January 08, 2007, 01:54:03 am »
I dont want to ruin anyone's conception of how things are laid out in the Cantrell/Del Mar household, but I have always viewed it that there is a hallway that runs down the front wall of the house from the kitchen living room and one turns right to get into the bedroom and the bed is against the common wall with the bathroom, if that can easily be pictured.  They don't have set "places" on the bed, but since quite often Ellery is the first one on the bed he gets in from the side nearest the door but usually ends up on the side facing the window, particularly since the side facing the window has the telephone and the chair and he is most often the one being called at home.

I always imagined the Cantreel/Del Mar house plan in the following way. You enter the front door into the oblong- shaped living room. Looking straight ahead you see a a doorway left of centre which leads to a passage and into the bedroom which has an ensuite bathroom off to the right. The bed faces the bathroom door. Ellery sleeps on the right and Ennis on the left. Looking right of centre of the living room back wall, a galley kitchen runs off at a right angle to the living room. The back door at the far end of the kitchen leads to a back deck.

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1209 on: January 08, 2007, 01:58:11 am »
Poor Ennis. He can't have a good old bawling session without the whole world and his brother finding out about it. Maybe Ennis needs a shed.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great