Author Topic: Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story  (Read 86481 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:34 am »

Andrew Scott
alias
Captain Moonlite

They say that truth is often stranger than fiction. We are very familiar with the tragic tale of our own beloved star-crossed lovers, Jack and Ennis. Let me tell you a true story about two equally tough, knock-about young men, who met and fell in love a hundred years before Brokeback.

One hour before the handsome, charismatic outlaw Andrew Scott, alias Captain Moonlite, was hung on 20 January 1880, he asked that he be laid to rest beside the grave of gang member and best friend, James Nesbitt. This wish was not to be granted until more than one hundred years later when Sam and Christine, two women from the New South Wales town of Gundagai, became interested in Andrew’s letters, and the possibility of a gay relationship between the two men.

Andrew’s heart’s desire was to lie beside his best friend for eternity. His last words were, “I ask that my body be given to my friends. I want to be buried in Gundagai (where James was buried).” In his letters, he was more specific, “I am to die on the 20th instant, and hope that I may rest with my friend (James). The only thing I long for is the certainty that I may share his grave.” Sam and Christine began to investigate how they could go about granting Andrew’s final wish.

It was a very romantic thing for them to do. Some might say they were having some kind of imaginary, esoteric love affair with Andrew, by the time he was exhumed and laid beside James. Certainly, Andrew was a handsome man. He was also very articulate, intelligent and well-educated. And he was capable of being a baaaad boy, too! What wasn’t there to like?

Here’s Sam’s account of the story, as recounted in the ABCTV program “George Negus Tonight,” broadcast on 14 June 2004:

“It was just basically granting someone’s wish and the wish of someone who I believe was executed unfairly and unjustly. It was righting a wrong for me. Captain Moonlite was Andrew George Scott. Andrew gave himself the romantic outlaw alias of Captain Moonlite, which was latched onto by the press of the day. He came to Australia from Ireland in 1868. He actually started as a lay preacher at Bacchus Marsh, a Victorian town. I think it was very much to his liking. He could ride horses and engage in pistol shooting. And by all accounts, he was very charismatic. He was good looking – intense blue eyes, that wonderful Irish brogue.

The bank at Mount Egerton was robbed one night. Hardly anyone saw anything. The bank manager was later charged, but he was acquitted. Years later Andrew was charged. He was found with the gold in his possession. He pleaded that he was not guilty. He paid a terrible price for it. He was sent to Pentridge Prison in Melbourne. James Nesbitt was in Pentridge at the same time for theft, and they formed a very close friendship. He was his dearest, truest friend. He wrote to James’ mother and said, “We have a pure, real, true friendship.” I believe he was his soul mate. Certainly, in his letters, Andrew referred to James in terms that would suggest he was gay.

He got out of prison early, after serving 7-odd years of a 10-year sentence, for good behaviour. He linked up with James, starting what he hoped was a new career in lecturing on prison reform, something he felt very passionately about. But the authorities shut him down. He had too much to tell. He realised he had to get out of Victoria, get away from the persecution. So he linked up with a group of other young men. They actually walked into New South Wales, where they were hoping for better times. Unfortunately, NSW was gripped in a terrible drought and unemployment was very high. Luck was against them. They’d heard of Wantabadgery ranch, renowned for its hospitality. They were hoping to get food, shelter, perhaps work. Unbeknown to them, it had changed hands. They were cruelly turned away. It was absolutely the last straw. I think that they had pinned all their hopes on finding food and shelter there, and something snapped. They came back the next morning, held up the ranch. Rumours reached the police in nearby Wagga Wagga that the Kelly Gang (a notorious outlaw gang) had invaded. Over a period of three days, they took 35 people hostage. Andrew treated the women with respect, though some of the men he roughed up. None of the men were shot. He could have. I think in the circumstances, he was probably quite restrained. The police turned up the next morning. Four constables only were sent. Short gunfire. Police fled.

At McGlede’s hut, the final shoot-out took place between Andrew, his mates and the police, heavily reinforced after they left Wantabadgery ranch. It was a scene of great excitement and confusion. It was here that James Nesbitt, the youngest bushranger, Augustus Wernicke, and Constable Bowen were all shot dead. Andrew and the surviving gang members were tried in Gundagai and in Darlinghurst (in Sydney), charged with the murder of Constable Bowen. Andrew represented himself, and how hard must have that been, two of his friends just recently buried in Gundagai Cemetery, one his dearest friend. There were times they said he was so emotional that he had to stop and collect himself. He denied that he fired the shot that killed Constable Bowen. “Though not guilty of the blood of anybody, I am ready to suffer for their sakes and answer for breaking the laws of the country,” he declared.

He was sentenced to hang. He used his time in the condemned cells. He wrote volumes – absolute volumes. Letters – letters to so many people. I think he was really, in my mind, trying to square up all his debts, make his final goodbyes. And his letters were all about justice and friendship. They were what moved me in the end, his letters.

He was hanged on 20 January 1880 at Darlinghurst Court in Sydney. After that, he was taken to what is now Rookwood Cemetery and buried in the Anglican part of the cemetery, and there he lay for 107 years, before his last wish was granted. He was exhumed and re-interred in Gundagai Cemetery. He is now within a few feet of James Nesbitt and Augustus Wernicke. Constable Bowen is not too far away – far enough to be separate – so that they are all laid to rest in the same place now.”

I can’t help hoping that maybe one day Jack and Ennis, just like Andrew and James, might also rest together – perhaps have their ashes combined and scattered to the winds, together again, forever, on Brokeback.

(The ABCTV program “George Negus Tonight,” broadcast 14 June 2004, is gratefully acknowledged)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:53:10 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:28:20 am »
In his letters, he was more specific, “I am to die on the 20th instant, and hope that I may rest with my friend (James). The only thing I long for is the certainty that I may share his grave.” Sam and Christine began to investigate how they could go about granting Andrew’s final wish.

It was a very romantic thing for them to do. Some might say they were having some kind of imaginary, esoteric love affair with Andrew, by the time he was exhumed and laid beside James

Whatever their motives, you're right that it was a romantic (and kind) thing for them to manage to get his burial accomplished as he wished.  And it could not have been an easy thing for them to manage.  Thanks for posting this story, Kerry.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:28:38 pm »
Whatever their motives, you're right that it was a romantic (and kind) thing for them to manage to get his burial accomplished as he wished.  And it could not have been an easy thing for them to manage.  Thanks for posting this story, Kerry.

Apparently it was a very difficult thing for them to accomplish. And costly, too. Many thousands of dollars, I believe. Which they gladly did for justice sake.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

one_of_one

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:01:55 am »
That was an amazing story, thanks for sharing it :)

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:22:42 am »
Thanks for posting this, Kerry, this would make an awesome novel, don't you think?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:30:38 am »
Thanks for posting this, Kerry, this would make an awesome novel, don't you think?

It certainly would make an excellent novel, Mel.

Now, who do I know with the talent to write it? Hmmm, let me think. Oh, I know who! It's you, Mel! What about it?!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:22 am »
It certainly would make an excellent novel, Mel.

Now, who do I know with the talent to write it? Hmmm, let me think. Oh, I know who! It's you, Mel! What about it?!  :D

*blushing smiley*

This is just the kind of project that I would looooove to take on, it's so fascinating. But then, I would have to move to Australia!  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 05:39:27 pm »
*blushing smiley*

This is just the kind of project that I would looooove to take on, it's so fascinating. But then, I would have to move to Australia!  :D

You could do all your research on the Internet, Mel. Be careful when doing so, however, because the descendants of the policeman allegedly shot by Captain Moonlite are still around and they're a bitter, twisted lot, who resent his fame and notoriety. I know of one website they administer that defames Captain Moonlite terribly and calls him a "recidivist" criminal. If that was the case, why was he released from prison three years early, "for good behaviour," I ask? I personally think it is a beautiful, tragic love story, in the great tradition of Romeo & Juliet and Jack & Ennis. That book (or screenplay?) is crying out to be written, Mel!  :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:32:38 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:21:27 am »
You could do all your research on the Internet, Mel. Be careful when doing so, however, because the descendants of the policeman allegedly shot by Captain Moonlite are still around and they're a bitter, twisted lot, who resent his fame and notoriety. I know of one website they administer that defames Captain Moonlite terribly and calls him a "recidivist" criminal. If that was the case, why was he released from prison three years early, "for good behaviour," I ask? I personally think it is a beautiful. tragic love story, in the great tradition of Romeo & Juliet and Jack & Ennis. That book (or screenplay?) is crying out to be written, Mel!  :D

Did you know there is a fanfic story out there "Storm of Shadows" by Neuontz that has J&E in this type of outlaw situation?

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:24:32 am »
Here is the thread about that story...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11966.0.html

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:41:52 am »
Here is the thread about that story...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11966.0.html

Thanks for the link, Mel. Is Neuontz friendlocked, or can I just go straight on in and read away?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:44 am »
Thanks for the link, Mel. Is Neuontz friendlocked, or can I just go straight on in and read away?

It's friendslocked unfortunately, but if you have an lj account, then you can ask her to friend you, she will definitely do that. :)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:55:12 am »
Wow, great thread!

Years later Andrew was charged. He was found with the gold in his possession. He pleaded that he was not guilty. He paid a terrible price for it. He was sent to Pentridge Prison in Melbourne. 

How much gold was found, there and then?

What a wonderful movie, this would make!

Any of you think so?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:17:35 pm »
Any more news?

About them?

Or maybe about someone who want to make a movie too?

Hugs!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 07:30:53 am »
very cool story Kerry!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »
very cool story Kerry!

It's a great story, indeed, Kelda. I returned to Sydney last night (Sunday night) after a week away, in pursuit of gay bushrangers (outlaws), Andrew Scott (Captain Moonlite) and James Nesbitt, and will be heading off again in a couple of hours (it is presently Monday morning here in Sydney) for another week away, staying with friends on Sydney's Northern Beaches, assisting them with some house painting (I'd prefer to be painting a canvas!). I will write a full report about my sojourn, last week, into the depth of the Australian  countryside, when I return from the Northern Beaches.  I discovered some new facts associated with James and Andrew's legend last week, which are quite fascinating and very revealing about them as gay men living outside the law in Victorian-era (late 1800's) Australia. Will be posting pics too!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 04:01:57 am »
looking forward to it!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 05:22:44 am »
I took a motoring vacation last week with two friends, touring through the beautiful Riverina region of south-western New South Wales.

Intrepid investigator, Kerry, hot on the heels of Captain Moonlite
(Yes, they are sheep in the background!)

We were in hot pursuit of the legendary gay bushranger (outlaw), Andrew George Scott, infamously known for ever more as Captain Moonlite.

Andrew George Scott, alias Captain Moonlite

Central to the cult of Captain Moonlite is the pretty little Riverina town of Gundagai (pron. GUN-duh-geye – rhymes with pie), set in a valley at the foot of Mount Parnassus, on the banks of the mighty Murrumbidgee (pron. muh-rum-BIDGE-ee) River.

Gundagai

We visited the rustic, local museum at Gundagai, where many interesting items can be viewed, such as Captain Moonlite’s handcuffs, leg irons, charge sheet, speeches and much more. The museum provided me with the following interesting account (this and the following 5 posts) of the life and times of Captain Moonlite. The accompanying images were either photographed by me or located on the Internet. Rather than posting one huge post, I have chosen to post six smaller sized posts, to allow for easy viewing by those with dial-up.

Continued . . . . .

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:58:55 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:15 am »
Andrew George Scott, better known in Australian history as the bushranger Captain Moonlite, was a man far removed from the traditional image of a bushranger.

Educated and articulate, Scott was a poet and a preacher, an excellent horseman, a civil engineer, skilled with and knowledgeable about firearms, a gifted public speaker, gentlemanly mannered, a soldier, a sailor, a prison reformer, an adventurer and a rebel. He was staunch to his comrades and, by all accounts, possessed of a magnetic personality.

On January 20, 1880, just before he faced the hangman’s noose at Sydney’s Darlinghurst Gaol, Andrew Scott wrote, “I want to rest in the grave of my friend, James Nesbitt. Gratify my last wish if you can. I have one hour to live.”

James Nesbitt

It took 115 years to grant his last wish, but on January 13, 1995, the remains of Captain Moonlite were finally laid to rest in the Anglican section of Gundagai cemetery, within feet of his friends James Nesbitt and Augustus Wernicke.

Close by is the grave of Constable Edward Mostyn Webb-Bowen, who (along with Nesbitt and Wernicke) was tragically shot in the bushranging siege at Wantabadgery (pron. want-uh-BADGE-uh-ree), near Gundagai. Scott called him “Brave Bowen”.

Continued . . . . .

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:06:47 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 05:25:43 am »
The year was 1879. Scott had received an early prison release for good behaviour after serving time for bank robbery in Melbourne’s Pentridge Prison, where he had met James Nesbitt. Even hours before his death, he still protested his innocence of the bank robbery. He had been forced by the authorities of Victoria to abort his controversial public lecture on prison reform which was to have provided his income. His lectures stated, “Pentridge Prison is a university of crime where tyranny and injustice are practiced at this country’s cost and to its shame.”

Having no money, Scott walked out of Victoria into New South Wales with his friends, James Nesbitt, Augustus Wernicke, Thomas Rogan, Thomas Williams and Graham Bennett. Unemployment was high. Along with hundreds of other men, Scott and his friends tramped the track from homestead to homestead, staying alive as best they could.

At Wantabadgery homestead, after twice being refused work, food and shelter, despite three days of unusually heavy rain, they drew their weapons and so began the bushranging siege which would go down in Riverina history.

This was the first known, and admitted, attempt at bushranging (banditry) by these three novice bushrangers, only two of whom could ride. Over a period of three days, 35 people were taken hostage. The women were treated with respect. All hostages were released unharmed before the final shoot-out between nine policemen backed by twelve armed volunteers and five of the bushrangers.

At its conclusion, Nesbitt and Wernicke were dead and Constable Bowen shot, later to die. James Nesbitt died in Andrew Scott’s arms.

The Wantabadgery Siege

Continued . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 05:26:38 am »
Scott said, “We had no intention of being bushrangers. Misery and hunger produced despair and in one wild hour we proved how much the wretched dare.”  

However, this was a sensational event in troubled times, as the notorious Kelly Gang had eluded capture in Victoria and public feeling against bushrangers was running high.

Scott and the other three surviving members of his party – Thomas Rogan, Thomas Williams and Graham Bennett – first faced an inquest in Gundagai in the Court House which still stands in the main street. They were incarcerated in the old Gundagai Gaol which is located directly behind the Court House, surrounded by a high slate wall, and is now a private police residence.

Gundagai Court House

James Nesbitt and fifteen year old Augustus Wernicke were buried in paupers’ graves in Gundagai Cemetery. Wernicke is believed to be Australia’s youngest bushranger.

Scott conducted his own defence in the Gundagai Court and pleaded for the lives of his surviving friends – “I alone commanded and these boys did as I bid them. I am ready to suffer for their sakes and answer for breaking the laws of this country. Let them who stand beside me go free.”

It must have been so traumatic for Scott, having so recently cradled his dearest friend, James Nesbitt, as he died in his arms. It was noticed that his voice broke with emotion on several occasions as he delivered his defence.

The prisoners were committed to Darlinghurst Court House in Sydney, to stand trial for shooting Constable Bowen.

Darlinghurst Court House

Continued . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 05:27:54 am »
This was a sensational event in troubled times and both the newspapers and the government took advantage of it. For the New South Wales government, the Wantabadgery siege was a tailor-made distraction from drought, escalating unemployment and labour strikes. For the press, the hunger for news was insatiable. A barrage of propaganda was written in the papers with the bushrangers, before their trial, described as, “notorious, depraved, bloodthirsty and vicious . . . utterly unprincipled, utterly incapable of reform”  and much more. Not once were the words “alleged crimes” mentioned. The portraits of Scott appearing in the press at the time, drawn by newspaper illustrators, represent him as a wild-eyed, frightening figure with over-sized, mutton-chop whiskers, seemingly much older than his tender 35 years.

The Darlinghurst trial contained much conflicting evidence as to who had fired which shots. With the benefit of hindsight, one is tempted to consider the possibility that Constable Bowen may have been a victim of friendly fire. The trial was conducted in an atmosphere of public hysteria with over 2,000 people crowding the courthouse.

The judge, whose brother had previously owned the Wantabadgery property where the siege took place, should have disqualified himself from the trial. He conducted it in a highly emotional manner, finally sentencing all four bushrangers, “. . . to hang by the neck until your bodies be dead.”

After sentencing, in his final address to the jury, Scott said, “I ask that my body be given to my friends. I should like my body to be buried in Gundagai.”

After appeals, the sentences of Williams and Bennett were reduced to “hard labour for life” because they were under 21 years of age. Rogan, who was the most innocent of all the bushrangers, was to hang with Scott. By every account, he did not fire a shot. He hid under a bed during the siege and was found there the next morning. However, as he was 21 years of age, he too had to pay the ultimate penalty.

An estimated crowd of 4,000 gathered for the hanging at Darlinghurst Gaol, located behind the courthouse. Some spectators scaled trees and stood on the highest roof tops, but nothing could be seen or heard by the public.

Andrew Scott went to his death wearing on his finger a ring made from a plaited lock of James Nesbitt’s hair.

The execution of Andrew Scott & Thomas Rogan at Darlinghurst Gaol on January 20, 1880

Continued . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 05:29:13 am »
Following his execution, Andrew Scott’s body was released to his friends, as he had requested. However, the good citizens of Gundagai were outraged at the thought of a bushranger being buried in their town’s cemetery, so he was buried in the Anglican section of Sydney’s Rookwood Cemetery instead. Rogan was buried in the Catholic section of the same cemetery.

In 1993, Gundagai residents Samantha Asimus and Christine Ferguson read Scott’s eloquent and moving speeches to the Gundagai and Darlinghurst courts, which are displayed at the Gundagai museum. The two women were particularly inspired by Scott’s letters. It soon became evident to them that there was more than just friendship alone in his relationship with James Nesbitt. As a consequence, they resolved to grant Andrew Scott’s final wish and have him laid to rest beside his beloved in Gundagai Cemetery.

Eighteen months later, after battling bureaucracy and cutting through much red tape, the remains of Andrew George Scott, Captain Moonlite, were exhumed from Rookwood Cemetery and laid to final rest in Gundagai Cemetery, granting his last wish.

Gundagai Cemetery

On his 35th and final birthday, on January 8, 1880, Andrew Scott described his tombstone: “As to a monumental stone, a rough unhewn rock would be most fit, one that skilled hands could have made into something better. It will be like those it marks as kindness and charity could have shaped us to better ends.”

Andrew Scott’s final resting place in Gundagai Cemetery
The humble pink field flowers and Australian wattle are my own small tribute

These words now mark the final resting place of Andrew George Scott, Captain Moonlite – close by his mates in an old bush cemetery, under the shade of an Australian eucalyptus tree.

May they rest in peace and their lives be judged fairly.   

The view from Andrew Scott’s grave in Gundagai Cemetery
(headstone in left foreground)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:52 am »
This is such a sad story. Has anybody novelized it? I would read a novel of their story, sad as it is. It'd make a great movie too. Just don't let Baz Lurhman(sp?) direct.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 06:47:34 pm »
This is such a sad story. Has anybody novelized it? I would read a novel of their story, sad as it is. It'd make a great movie too. Just don't let Baz Lurhman(sp?) direct.

I agree. It would make an absolutely fabo movie, albeit a tragic one.

Novel by Annie Proulx   :D

Screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana   :D

Directed by Ang Lee   :D

Starring   ???   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:19 pm »
I agree. It would make an absolutely fabo movie, albeit a tragic one.

Novel by Annie Proulx   :D

Screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana   :D

Directed by Ang Lee   :D

Starring   ???   :'(

Well, it'd have to be a couple of Australian actors for sure, just not Russell Crowe, although he's a Kiwi isn't he? He's too old now as well.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 10:41:36 pm »
Well, it'd have to be a couple of Australian actors for sure, just not Russell Crowe, although he's a Kiwi isn't he? He's too old now as well.

Andrew Scott (Captain Moonlite) was Irish (born and raised in Northern Ireland), so maybe Colin Farrell could play him in the movie. And Australian actor Eric Bana could play the part of his lover, James Nesbitt. I'd like to see that!  :D

Colin Farrell

Eric Bana

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

retropian

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 06:38:33 pm »
Andrew Scott (Captain Moonlite) was Irish (born and raised in Northern Ireland), so maybe Colin Farrell could play him in the movie. And Australian actor Eric Bana could play the part of his lover, James Nesbitt. I'd like to see that!  :D

Colin Farrell

Eric Bana

Mmmm. I'd like to see that too. ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:20 am »
Alfred Noyes beautiful poem, The Highwayman,  reminds me of Andrew and James:

The Highwayman

by Alfred Noyes (1880-1958)

PART ONE

I

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
    The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
    The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
    And the highwayman came riding—
                      Riding—riding—
    The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.

II

He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin,
    A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin;
    They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh!
    And he rode with a jewelled twinkle,
                      His pistol butts a-twinkle,
    His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.

III

Over the cobbles he clattered and clashed in the dark inn-yard,
    And he tapped with his whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred;
    He whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
    But the landlord's black-eyed daughter,
                      Bess, the landlord's daughter,
    Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

IV

And dark in the dark old inn-yard a stable-wicket creaked
    Where Tim the ostler listened; his face was white and peaked;
    His eyes were hollows of madness, his hair like mouldy hay,
    But he loved the landlord's daughter,
                      The landlord's red-lipped daughter,
    Dumb as a dog he listened, and he heard the robber say—

V

"One kiss, my bonny sweetheart, I'm after a prize to-night,
    But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light;
    Yet, if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day,
    Then look for me by moonlight,
                      Watch for me by moonlight,
    I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."

VI

He rose upright in the stirrups; he scarce could reach her hand,
    But she loosened her hair i' the casement! His face burnt like a brand
    As the black cascade of perfume came tumbling over his breast;
    And he kissed its waves in the moonlight,
                      (Oh, sweet, black waves in the moonlight!)
    Then he tugged at his rein in the moonliglt, and galloped away to the West.

PART TWO

I

He did not come in the dawning; he did not come at noon;
    And out o' the tawny sunset, before the rise o' the moon,
    When the road was a gypsy's ribbon, looping the purple moor,
    A red-coat troop came marching—
                      Marching—marching—
    King George's men came marching, up to the old inn-door.

II

They said no word to the landlord, they drank his ale instead,
    But they gagged his daughter and bound her to the foot of her narrow bed;
    Two of them knelt at her casement, with muskets at their side!
    There was death at every window;
                      And hell at one dark window;
    For Bess could see, through her casement, the road that he  would ride.

III

They had tied her up to attention, with many a sniggering jest;
    They had bound a musket beside her, with the barrel beneath her breast!
    "Now, keep good watch!" and they kissed her.
                      She heard the dead man say—
   Look for me by moonlight;
                      Watch for me by moonlight;
    I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way!

IV

She twisted her hands behind her; but all the knots held good!
    She writhed her hands till her fingers were wet with sweat or blood!
    They stretched and strained in the darkness, and the hours crawled by like years,
    Till, now, on the stroke of midnight,
                      Cold, on the stroke of midnight,
    The tip of one finger touched it! The trigger at least was hers!

V

The tip of one finger touched it; she strove no more for the rest!
    Up, she stood up to attention, with the barrel beneath her breast,
    She would not risk their hearing; she would not strive again;
    For the road lay bare in the moonlight;
                      Blank and bare in the moonlight;
    And the blood of her veins in the moonlight throbbed to her love's refrain .

VI

Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot!  Had they heard it? The horse-hoofs ringing clear;
    Tlot-tlot, tlot-tlot,  in the distance? Were they deaf that they did not hear?
    Down the ribbon of moonlight, over the brow of the hill,
    The highwayman came riding,
                      Riding, riding!
    The red-coats looked to their priming! She stood up, straight and still!

VII

Tlot-tlot,  in the frosty silence! Tlot-tlot,  in the echoing night!
    Nearer he came and nearer! Her face was like a light!
    Her eyes grew wide for a moment; she drew one last deep breath,
    Then her finger moved in the moonlight,
                      Her musket shattered the moonlight,
    Shattered her breast in the moonlight and warned him—with her death.

VIII

He turned; he spurred to the West; he did not know who stood
    Bowed, with her head o'er the musket, drenched with her own red blood!
    Not till the dawn he heard it, his face grew grey to hear
    How Bess, the landlord's daughter,
                      The landlord's black-eyed daughter,
    Had watched for her love in the moonlight, and died in the darkness there.

IX

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky,
    With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high!
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
                      Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

X

And still of a winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees,
    When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
    When the road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
    A highwayman comes riding—
                      Riding—riding—
    A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

XI

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard;
    He taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred;
    He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
    But the landlord's black-eyed daughter,
                      Bess, the landlord's daughter,
    Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:11:21 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 09:43:01 am »
Who could blame Bess for falling in love with the highwayman. He sounds stunning! I think I'm a little in love with him myself:

"He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin,
    A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin;
    They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh!
    And he rode with a jewelled twinkle,
                      His pistol butts a-twinkle,
    His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky."

Sigh!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:16 am »
Wow, what a blast from the past! I read this poem as a student and was captivated by it. Thank you, Kerry!

Speaking of Annie Proulx, I went to a talk she gave one time where she discussed the letters of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and theorized that there was more to their relationship than presented in the old movie with Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:15 pm »
Somehow I missed this, I am glad it came to the surface again so I could read about them. Will have to have a toast to them on the 20, instant.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

Wow, what a blast from the past! I read this poem as a student and was captivated by it. Thank you, Kerry!

Speaking of Annie Proulx, I went to a talk she gave one time where she discussed the letters of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and theorized that there was more to their relationship than presented in the old movie with Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

You're very welcome, Lee. I too find The Highwayman  captivating and usually end up in tears by the end, even though I've read it countless times and know only too well how tragically it ends. Just can't seem to help myself, I guess. It's not only the tragically doomed, star-crossed nature of the love between Bess and the highwayman that brings me undone (and reminds me of Andrew & James), but also the highly-charged homoerotic imagery employed by Alfred Noyes in describing the highwayman that sets my heart a-pounding. It's very difficult for me to read about his thigh-high boots and skin-tight, doe-skin breeches that fit "with never a wrinkle", without conjuring up a lurid mental picture. Pant!   :P

I sure would like to think Butch and Sundance had something going.  ;)  They were very handsome and make a beautiful couple. Pant again!   :D

The REAL Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:26:32 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:29 pm »
Somehow I missed this, I am glad it came to the surface again so I could read about them. Will have to have a toast to them on the 20, instant.

I'll join you in that toast on the 20th, Truman.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 04:21:52 am »
bump!