Author Topic: *Slightly* OT Confessions: How Much is TOO MUCH Before You'd QUIT Someone?  (Read 18058 times)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
I popped home at lunch time and caught this thread and posted my little message, content to leave it there, but all afternoon your stories have been resonating with me.  "How much IS too much?" 

I haven't been in a relationship that includes breakfast for over 10 years now.  Prior to that, as I have gushed in past threads, I felt what "all the fuss was about".  I felt absolute love, TWICE!  I have loved a few more, but I have been IN LOVE twice.  I remain friends with my ex's to this day, but there was the stages of grief that made the transition very ugly at times.  I don't believe that the bits you fall in love with ever go away, it's just other crap exceeds it, complicates it, deprioritises it.  In both my live in relationships I had the best of times and the absolute worst of times emotionally.  From the beginning stages of feigning injury and illness at work just to go home and be with them, to waking up sickened by the thought of them laying next to me, and sneaking out of bed before they woke up so that I wouldn't have to deal with them at the finish.

Both of them lead double lives it turned out, one was a prostitute.., I just thought he was a good saver. I just thought he needed a lot of time on his own to ponder!  I was gullible and I hated them for stealing my naivity.  For betraying me.  For making a fool of me. For exposing me to the dangers of unsafe monogomous sex that wasn't monogomous.  I nearly crashed completely the first time, but the second time turned me hard.  I vowed I would NEVER let things get to the too much point again where I felt that pain.  It turned out that I never got to the too much point again because I never let it start to begin with.

Time mellowed me and I let go of the hurt a long time ago. As I got older and observed more of the world I realised that the warm cuddliness of naivety is a short term gift, awarded to the young and most of us simply have to grow out of it.  That's life.  My ex's are now my friends and they have learned lessons also along the way.  They are different people now and we respect what happened and regained respect for each other.

Whilst I have lost the jaddedness and am open to the prospect of someone again walking into my life one day, the past ten years have shown me how to like myself more, and I don't feel the 'find a mate' senario is essential to my existence.  I love my solitude and my independence now more than ever, and whomever I meet in the future will enhance that in me. 

I see people I love, who can never let go of the betrayal, and 15 years post divorce, still grab every chance to 'tsk' or 'hrmf' when their ex's name is mentioned.  They have mastered the art of manipulating a conversation about white bread to make reports the ex's latest stupid comment, or weight gain, or stupidly backing into the neighbours letterbox twenty six years ago all become naturally topical. In doing so, they feel justification for the hurt they will never let go of.  I don't want to feel that sort of resentment to the grave.  I want to forgive all of it and take it onboard as part of my character.

That was a little rave wasn't it?!  As I said, it's been flying around in my head all afternoon.  Hope ya don't mind.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
(Ray, the first thing I thought of to say to you is, "I'll make you breakfast!'  But I know that that's not all you meant, and that that's not all you probably want.  But I will make you breakfast when you come visit.)

I think one reason that the story of Ennis and Jack is seen as so romantic, and such a grand passion is because with them you just really can't say who loved whom more, or gave more for the other one.  But in most relationships that I've seen, I think you often can observe who is the one who is more "crushy" on the other, and who does more for the other.

The story about my Ennis-type person -

I thought G. was the most gorgeous, capable, delicious person I knew.  I Cassied him and Cassied him, and he passively Ennis'd, like on the dance floor when Junior was with them.  I loved having sex with him, sleeping with him, working on projects with him, travelling with him, smelling him.  But he didn't talk much at all.  And didn't really let me know him.  And I always knew I was more into him than he was into me.  After six lonely years together, I finally worked him over enough that we got married, and had another seven lonely years, before I finally gave up and divorced him.  He was (is) a good guy.  But not the right guy for me.  Almost everyone I knew thought I was nuts to leave him.  One woman told me, "Guys like G. don't grow on trees, you know."  But I hated the loneliness.

I moved away and one of my old acquaintances moved in on him and Cassied him into marrying her.  I get the sense that they have a a similar uncommunicative situation.

So that was over 12 years together, and we have been apart now for 12 years.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Wow. Some stories here. My case doesn’t match these – and hugs to everyone – but I’ll tell it anyway.

Reading these posts actually gave me the realisation that my boyfriend of 6 years was actually much more of an Ennis than I ever thought.

So, I’ll give you the short(ish) version.

I met my boyfriend through the brass band I play in.. we knew each other vaguely, but I sat next to his brother in band so in fact before we started seeing each other I was much much closer to his brother. Anyway, as a 16 year old I thought he was gorgeous, and he was 18 – older! Wow! We got together after a band trip down south, on the journey home overnight, after having a good few bottles of beer we had a bit of a snogging session, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I was going to University 4 months later so  we carried on a long distance relationship well long-ish for the UK and for young love.. (you US peeps thing a 4 hr drive is nothing!) ..and all was good.. we saw each other a fair bit and that initial loved up stage was lovely.. I knew his brother well anyway and knew  of his family, so I fitted in there quite well… 2 yrs went by… Looking back now it would have probably run its course eventually, had other things not intervened – but I’m a try-er I don’t give up easily on anything. But yes, he was a total Ennis, I myself am a Jack – the talker, always need to be on the go etc.

He was up seeing me at uni one weekend when his dad called. Can I speak to Stuart? Stuart put down the phone and said. Graham’s dead. His brother had been killed in an accident at work. That was a terrible time…I had my own grief to deal with as well as Stuart’s, his whole families, and Graham’s girlfriend (a mate of mine). I had to phone round our friends and tell them the news. I had to track down Graham’s best friend as no-one could get in touch with him and tell him over the phone (he was visiting his girlfriend in London). It was hard. I held the family together.

Now this in itself is not a big deal  in the grand scheme of things – plenty of people deal with death. But this was a lot to put on my shoulders at that age. But I wanted to be there – I loved this guy, very fond of the family, and his poor brother. Most of the time during the initial week or so after it.. he pushed me away. Didn’t want a cuddle, couldn’t handle it. It was just his way of dealing but there was other flashes of times, when I think he would have collapsed without me.

Anyway, there lies the problem… I let him treat me like 5hit.. because he was grieving.. and I got used to it. And I guess so did he. If he was horrible, and off hand, and more interested in his mates than me, and getting drunk and never physically but verbally abusive,  I would say, but he’s grieving. It took another 4 yrs to come to head and took his best friend over a year of repeatedly telling me.. he’s a 5hit to you. Get out of there. And other people telling me the same to eventually make things come to a head. They’re had been plenty of times when I said to him before.. things need to change… but it would always go back to normal.

Stuarts best friend now doesn’t talk to him…he just thinks he’s a total ar5e. And in fact Barry and that group of friends are now some of my closest friends.  Stuart is now seeing a girl in the group.. this all started before Barry gave up on him completely and while I can see or hear about definite improvements in his behaviour.. like he actually goes and visits her at uni regularly, takes her out on proper dates regularly, there are still a lot of elements of our relationship in theirs. .I see history repeating itself but its not for me to intervene. I’ve told her she knows my story but that she has to make the mistakes for herself and that I wish her luck. I just hope she doesn’t wait as long as I did, (although its 18 months now.) I don’t know how she does it. The majority of her friendships life and her boyfriend life are totally separate. It must be hard for her but she keeps plodding along.

So yeah, I was gutted when it all ended.. but I got over it and went into the I’m not interested in anyt relationship, just a few odd drunken snogs here and there .. and 2 and a half years later I’m just back on the dating scene. Started seeing a guy very recently who is so sweet an attentive.. it takes a bit of getting used to.. I feel like Carrie in SATC when she faints because of the Russian (although its not quite at that level!) but you know what I’m feeling like a GIRL again. I’m being all girly. And I don’t do girly!

Oh, and Ray:
I see people I love, who can never let go of the betrayal, and 15 years post divorce, still grab every chance to 'tsk' or 'hrmf' when their ex's name is mentioned.  They have mastered the art of manipulating a conversation about white bread to make reports the ex's latest stupid comment, or weight gain, or stupidly backing into the neighbours letterbox twenty six years ago all become naturally topical. In doing so, they feel justification for the hurt they will never let go of.  I don't want to feel that sort of resentment to the grave.  I want to forgive all of it and take it onboard as part of my character.

You have nailed my sister in one. With her ex husband...I feel like she juis needs to let go.

She is very like this but I am more like you Ray. Stuart is not my friend (I have an ouside perspective now and don't like what he was, but I could never hate him. and I just can't be bothered with be-littling him all the time. I have my odd outburst sure, but its just not worse the hassle.

Wow. That was much longer than I anticipated! But that’s my story! 
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Hey rt! Would you have a story of your own?

I admire you all for being able to be so open here! I'll try, but probably in a more cryptic way.

Just to say that I usually never lasted more than a year and a half in an unpleasant relationship. The first one was with a sado masochist (he was English, that might account for it ;)), both physically and mentally - god did that hurt  ahem...
The second was with a guy who was so full of himself (French - definitely accounts for it :( that I just laughed at him in the end (OK, after some good crying). That one cost me loads of money too (I go for the broke ones).
Now I am 7 years into a relationship (with a German - I love travelling  ::)) in which there was love. The big one. Yes, 'was'. It is not so horrendous now that I need to run for my life, but... the growing indifference (mine), to meet his, which started before mine, will prove 'too much' sooner or later.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:09:47 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Come to think of it (yeah, this thread has been going round my head too), the 2 relationships I've had with women were NOT shitty at all;  just for the record, one American and one French  ;D -  Why I quit is a different story (those relationships felt too good, I was too screwed up then to enjoy and bear gentleness, and just happiness!)
Now I guess I know at last what direction (or should I say, orientation) I should take.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:08:24 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
To those who have posted their stories with such honesty..hugs and more power to you!
 :-*

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
You know what, Lucise? BBM was part of the process for me being able to face up to what I have always wanted but left aside - and still want.
Action will be the next step.
" - I'm vegan now."

dmmb_Mandy

Wow.

I am truly lucky to have met all of you.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
You know what, Lucise? BBM was part of the process for me being able to face up to what I have always wanted but left aside - and still want.

Ditto Isabelle.  Completely agree.
We all need a little nudge at one point or other to re-examine something(s) in our past/present - BBM was that nudge for me and for many others no doubt.  And like you say: taking action is the next step.  Cheers.
 :)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."

Ditto Isabelle.  Completely agree.
We all need a little nudge at one point or other to re-examine something(s) in our past/present - BBM was that nudge for me and for many others no doubt.  And like you say: taking action is the next step.  Cheers.
 :)

BBM started my healing process. Like I said somewhere, my whole personality changed and I went from being emotional, bubbly and passionate to cold and empty. Brokeback made me feel again.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories. Reading them has made me realise even more how precious life is, and how we should take every moment and make the best of it.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!