Author Topic: Androphilia by Jack Malebranche  (Read 6543 times)

injest

Androphilia by Jack Malebranche
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:29:40 pm »
There are a group of us that are reading this book. Anyone that has read it is invited to come talk about it.

This book is controversial, and Mr. Malebranche pulls NO punches. But his viewpoint strikes a chord in a lot of men today and I think it would be interesting to hear what ya'll think of it.

A warning for the ladies, this book was written by a man FOR men...he comes off as a bit mysoginist....but I think he isn't intending to sound as harsh as he does. Remember he is not writing to you but to other men.

I am finding it very interesting...like overhearing a locker room conversation.

If you haven't read it...I highly recommend it!

http://www.jackmalebranche.com/hub/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:04:57 pm by injest »

injest

Re: Androphilia by Jack Malebranche
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 07:54:37 pm »
one of the first things discussed in the book is the premise that women and men are different. While that may seem obvious, there are some interesting points.

We have started blurring gender roles in both public and private life. Traditional roles have been dropped for the most part. The family with the male breadwinner and the stay at home mom is rare today. While traditionally 'male' jobs...fire fighter, police...are held by a lot of women. Look at the very words...used to be fireman...now it fire fighter.

But we ARE different. Men are not women and women are not men. To say they are is to deny each their birthright.

So what is male? What is masculine?

One thing I do know...masculine is not a LOOK...it is only partly physical appearance...and that is not the most important part. Masculine comes from inside.

injest

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:13:41 am »
The other definition I am struggling over is what is the 'gay community'?

Is there such a thing? Maybe I am ignorant but there is the NAACP that kinda forms policy for the civil rights movement....what is the equivalent in the gay community? Who are the leaders?

I don't know that there is such a thing as a 'gay community' much as Plato said there is no demos...just a billion individual souls that sometimes come together to form policy for the benefit of the group...

Malebranche wants to seperate himself from the 'gay community'...how is that defined?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:52:17 am »
This sounds like a good read Jess, I will have to check it out. Some of the issues you have put up here are of interest to me. Men and women look at things so differently sometimes, neighter being the "right way" mind you, but there are so many area we are strangers.

And yeah, what is a gay community? After BBM, a different place that I would have described a few years ago. There is an article in the Washington Post that may have been posted here, Tom Shales writing about Brokeback and how it change things. I'll see if I can find it again.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 06:28:26 pm »
I am so ambivalent about this book. Part of me is saying "Yes! Exactly!" and part of me is thinking I shouldn't agree with it. and if I do not to admit to it.

I have a problem with the victim mentality that has grown up in our society. Everyone seems to be a victim of something. or looking for something to be a victim OF! He preaches a lot of personal responsibility and how can you argue with that? But I can also see the other side where we NEED some degree of government intervention to prevent abuse.

He acknowledges that the advances in human rights for homosexuals (he rejects the term gay) have been brought about by the 'in your face' groups and grudging thanks them...while telling them to leave him alone.

I asked a gay man one time how to express the difference between (forgive me, I don't know how else to describe) the "Will and Grace" crowd and the "BBM" group...
his response is there is none and I was wrong to suggest that there was. That I was showing homophobia....

The question is not homophobic I don't think. I have had a very limited exposure to gay people. I am sure there are plenty around but not out...not in my group of acquaintences. My impression of gay people was what I saw on TV...and honestly, it wasn't good (to me). BBM was a revelation.

and yes I am aware I am rambling...be glad when the others join me! Garry is waiting to get his book in... :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:05:16 pm »
I asked a gay man one time how to express the difference between (forgive me, I don't know how else to describe) the "Will and Grace" crowd and the "BBM" group...
his response is there is none and I was wrong to suggest that there was. That I was showing homophobia....

Bullshit. That was not a homophobic question, and you were not showing homophobia.  >:( And you can quote me on that.

I have no idea who this person was to whom you asked the question, but I'm hard put to imagine a more ignorant response on his part.

The truth is there is no one, monolithic "gay community." There are only many "gay communities." And those communities can be as mutually intolerant of each other as the most self-righteous socially conservative right-wing religious fundamentalist can be of all of us.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:24 pm »
Bullshit. That was not a homophobic question, and you were not showing homophobia.  >:( And you can quote me on that.

I have no idea who this person was to whom you asked the question, but I'm hard put to imagine a more ignorant response on his part.

The truth is there is no one, monolithic "gay community." There are only many "gay communities." And those communities can be as mutually intolerant of each other as the most self-righteous socially conservative right-wing religious fundamentalist can be of all of us.

Thank you Jeff...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:37:55 pm »
Thank you Jeff...

My pleasure, ma'am ( Jeff comes down off his high horse  ;D , touches hat brim to Jess).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:39:23 pm »
My pleasure, ma'am ( Jeff comes down off his high horse  ;D , touches hat brim to Jess).

SUCH a gentleman!!

;)

injest

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:44:53 pm »
Well Garry has his book...now if I can pry him outta the Store to come discuss it!! LOL!!

One of the things he talks about in the book is how gay movements started up and got a few successes..and then stagnated. What worked in the 60s is not working anymore and rather than change they became parodies of themselves...

That the popular conception of what it means to be a homosexual is so out there that a lot of men look at it and say 'there is no way I am gonna be associated with that!'

I can see where he is coming from. There is that group (or groups) of gay men that are just not comfortable with the 'Will and Grace' lifestyle....and those are the men that need to be seen now...