Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170478 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: September 1st, 9:00 a.m.
« Reply #2050 on: September 22, 2007, 12:16:23 am »
Very interesting turn of events, Littlewing.  I can imagine something just like this happening.  You know some have suggested that Bobby wasn't really Jack's son, and that Lureen was pregnant before she got into the back seat with Jack.  If that's true perhaps the only reason Mr. Newsom allowed Jack to marry his daughter is so his grandchild wouldn't be born illegitimate.  But after the kid was born, and Jack's name was on the birth certificate, Jack wasn't really needed anymore.

Gary

I agree with this, Gary!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2051 on: September 22, 2007, 12:16:59 am »
Ah love it Marie!  There's so many gaps to be filled in this story ... just when I think we've covered everything possible, you come up with another belter!!

Susie  :D

I had to do it, SusieBaby!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2052 on: September 22, 2007, 12:18:18 am »
Great details, Littlewing! Motivation for dropping Ennis a line. You should be a screenwriter. you could write the prequel: "Brokeback Mountain, Before There Was Jack and Ennis".

Why thanks Toycoon!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

September 23rd, Late Afternoon
« Reply #2053 on: September 22, 2007, 01:14:42 am »
September 23rd, Late Afternoon by Littlewing1957

Jack was on the road, driving much faster than he should.  He couldn’t help it though; just 12 more hours and he would come face -to -face with Ennis Del Mar.  Just the thought of greeting his old friend was enough motivation for Jack to redline it all the way...that is, if he could get away with it!

Just outside the Texas state border Jack found himself in the middle of a cloud burst.  He adjusted his speed to navigate the slick roads, and glancing up at the heavens, he couldn’t help but think back to one special afternoon up on brokeback,

Jack and Ennis were just finishing a supper of beans and Vienna sausages when they felt the raindrops.  Just a slight drizzle at first, but then the rains came in earnest.  Jack didn’t bother to put out the fire; it would be extinguished in due course.  But he grabbed Ennis by the hand and pulled him into the tent.  Ennis could wait out the rain and then return to the sheep.  Jack sat cross legged on the ground and enjoyed the soft whisper of the raindrops against the shelter.  Ennis chose to stand and peek out at the rain through the tent flap.  After awhile Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry.

Jack beamed at the memory.  He drove in silence, trying to think of a pithy greeting for Ennis.  What to say, what to do?  It was of no consequence.  Jack still had hours to go before reaching Riverton.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 23rd, Late Afternoon
« Reply #2054 on: September 22, 2007, 02:14:20 am »

Jack was on the road, driving much faster than he should.  He couldn’t help it though; just 12 more hours and he would come face -to -face with Ennis Del Mar.  Just the thought of greeting his old friend was enough motivation for Jack to redline it all the way...that is, if he could get away with it!

Just outside the Texas state border Jack found himself in the middle of a cloud burst.  He adjusted his speed to navigate the slick roads, and glancing up at the heavens, he couldn’t help but think back to one special afternoon up on brokeback,

Jack and Ennis were just finishing a supper of beans and Vienna sausages when they felt the raindrops.  Just a slight drizzle at first, but then the rains came in earnest.  Jack didn’t bother to put out the fire; it would be extinguished in due course.  But he grabbed Ennis by the hand and pulled him into the tent.  Ennis could wait out the rain and then return to the sheep.  Jack sat cross legged on the ground and enjoyed the soft whisper of the raindrops against the shelter.  Ennis chose to stand and peek out at the rain through the tent flap.  After awhile Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry.

Jack beamed at the memory.  He drove in silence, trying to think of a pithy greeting for Ennis.  What to say, what to do?  It was of no consequence.  Jack still had hours to go before reaching Riverton.

Beautiful Littlewing, just knowing Jack and Ennis were content to be in each other's presence; that there were intimate moments like these. And, you portrayed Jack's anxiety wonderfully - I feel nervous for him! LOL
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Dagi

« Reply #2055 on: September 22, 2007, 02:47:58 am »

Jack was on the road, driving much faster than he should.  He couldn't help it though; just 12 more hours and he would come face -to -face with Ennis Del Mar.  Just the thought of greeting his old friend was enough motivation for Jack to redline it all the way...that is, if he could get away with it!

Just outside the Texas state border Jack found himself in the middle of a cloud burst.  He adjusted his speed to navigate the slick roads, and glancing up at the heavens, he couldn't help but think back to one special afternoon up on brokeback,

Jack and Ennis were just finishing a supper of beans and Vienna sausages when they felt the raindrops.  Just a slight drizzle at first, but then the rains came in earnest.  Jack didn't bother to put out the fire; it would be extinguished in due course.  But he grabbed Ennis by the hand and pulled him into the tent.  Ennis could wait out the rain and then return to the sheep.  Jack sat cross legged on the ground and enjoyed the soft whisper of the raindrops against the shelter.  Ennis chose to stand and peek out at the rain through the tent flap.  After awhile Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry.

That was a beautiful, peaceful flashback. I loved the line  Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry. I'm sure he felt as warm inside as outside.....

And it's a real wonder that Jack reached Riverton, since driving absentmindedly is quite dangerous!

Dagi

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2056 on: September 22, 2007, 08:05:54 am »
Jack and Ennis were just finishing a supper of beans and Vienna sausages when they felt the raindrops.  Just a slight drizzle at first, but then the rains came in earnest.  Jack didn't bother to put out the fire; it would be extinguished in due course.  But he grabbed Ennis by the hand and pulled him into the tent.  Ennis could wait out the rain and then return to the sheep.  Jack sat cross legged on the ground and enjoyed the soft whisper of the raindrops against the shelter.  Ennis chose to stand and peek out at the rain through the tent flap.  After awhile Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry.

This reminds me a little of the 'dozy embrace' memory we are all so familiar with. Great effect, Littlewing.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon
« Reply #2057 on: September 22, 2007, 10:21:52 am »
September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon by BBM-Cat

With the idle miles of driving, the thoughts in his head swirled and intensified with each passing hour. What was he doing driving all the way to Riverton, Wyoming? What was he goin’ to say to Ennis? Jack did not have a plan. All he knew was that he needed to reconnect with Ennis. Jack felt oddly detached recently, like an observer in his own life. He was not sure what was real anymore. He just needed to see Ennis. Just needed to hear his voice. To look into his friend’s eyes. ‘That’s all’, he told himself, believing that just seeing his old friend would be his rescue. 

While driving in the rain, Jack fantasized that Ennis would be equally glad and excited to see him. It was hard deciphering Ennis’ two-word reply from his postcard. He was supposedly married now. What if over the past four years he had forgotten or dismissed the special time they had shared together on the mountain? Jack recalled returning to Brokeback that following summer, only to discover that Ennis had not. Maybe it was a sign. Maybe Jack was the only one keeping the memory alive. His heart ached to think it could be true. The only person he had ever truly, felt connected with, and the feelings might not even still be there! He had no idea how Ennis would receive him, though he hoped against hope, it was with an embrace.

Jack needed something real right now, he needed something to hold onto. Even if it was just hope. He glanced over at Ennis’ postcard on the passenger seat of the truck, touching it for reassurance. That little bit of hope in the river of despair, was exactly the lifeline propelling Jack Twist along his 14-hour journey north.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:37:16 am by BBM-Cat »
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Dagi

Re: September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon
« Reply #2058 on: September 22, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon by BBM-Cat

With the idle miles of driving, the thoughts in his head swirled and intensified with each passing hour. What was he doing driving all the way to Riverton, Wyoming? What was he goin’ to say to Ennis? Jack did not have a plan. All he knew was that he needed to reconnect with Ennis. Jack felt oddly detached recently, like an observer in his own life. He was not sure what was real anymore. He just needed to see Ennis. Just needed to hear his voice. To look into his friend’s eyes. ‘That’s all’, he told himself, believing that just seeing his old friend would be his rescue. 

While driving in the rain, Jack fantasized that Ennis would be equally glad and excited to see him. It was hard deciphering Ennis’ two-word reply from his postcard. He was supposedly married now. What if over the past four years he had forgotten or dismissed the special time they had shared together on the mountain? Jack recalled returning to Brokeback that following summer, only to discover that Ennis had not. Maybe it was a sign. Maybe Jack was the only one keeping the memory alive. His heart ached to think it could be true. The only person he had ever truly, felt connected with, and the feelings might not even still be there! He had no idea how Ennis would receive him, though he hoped against hope, it was with an embrace.

Jack needed something real right now, he needed something to hold onto. Even if it was just hope. He glanced over at Ennis’ postcard on the passenger seat of the truck, touching it for reassurance. That little bit of hope in the river of despair, was exactly the lifeline propelling Jack Twist along his 14-hour journey north.

You are an amazing writer, a true enrichment of this thread. I enjoyed reading every single line. It´s just how it must have been - Jack going back and forth between hope and doubt.......you perfectly captured Jack´s inner dialogue. And I do wonder what would have become of both of them, had Jack not decided to write that card.....Thank you for posting this!

Dagi

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon
« Reply #2059 on: September 22, 2007, 02:53:06 pm »
You are an amazing writer, a true enrichment of this thread. I enjoyed reading every single line. It´s just how it must have been - Jack going back and forth between hope and doubt.......you perfectly captured Jack´s inner dialogue. And I do wonder what would have become of both of them, had Jack not decided to write that card.....Thank you for posting this!

Dagi

Thank you sincerely, Dagi - this is truly a collaborative effort, and I feel inspired by others' stories & perspectives. It's wonderful how our stories mesh and how we can all keep this series going.