Author Topic: BBM in Times' list of 20 most romantic film scenes!  (Read 4078 times)

mvansand76

BBM in Times' list of 20 most romantic film scenes!
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:10:32 am »
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article1927445.ece

Brokeback Mountain Ang Lee, 2005

The perfect example of romantic longing, Lee’s film concludes as Heath Ledger’s ranch hand Ennis opens his trailer wardrobe to reveal two shirts belonging to his late lover Jack (Jake Gyllenhaal). It’s almost impossible to hold back the tears at the thought of their tragic affair.

:'(......

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: BBM in Times' list of 20 most romantic film scenes!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:53:13 am »
 :-\  actually that writer was incorrect - one of the shirts was Ennis' and the other was Jack's which makes the scene
even more poignant because Ennis reverses them on the hanger at the end and it shows him protecting Jack instead
of the way they were in Jack's closet - but he got part of it right, the tears flow easily when watching this scene........... :'(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:27:02 pm »
:-\  actually that writer was incorrect - one of the shirts was Ennis' and the other was Jack's which makes the scene
even more poignant because Ennis reverses them on the hanger at the end and it shows him protecting Jack instead
of the way they were in Jack's closet - but he got part of it right, the tears flow easily when watching this scene........... :'(

I know, but I've gotten used to journalists getting at least one thing wrong!  :)

I thought he/she was right that it was the perfect example of romantic longing, but I think this is more a tragic romantic scene than the true romantic *SWOON* scene that 1. the Dozy Embrace or 2. the Reunion was! I would have picked either one of those as the most romantic scene from the movie, because they depict the time where, at least I think 1. They were totally caught up in each other and in love and 2. They fell even more deeply in love....

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:48 pm »
I think it was the DE for me!
The love in Jacks eyes as Ennis rode away.....
That was probably the most beautifully done scene in any movie I have ever seen!
It brings tears to my eyes even now! :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 02:08:56 pm »

Oh God, yes, it kills me every time. From the moment Ennis walks up to Jack with that unique look on his face and throws his arms around him to the moment Jack watches him ride away. I applaud Jake for putting so much love and infatuation and happiness in just that one gaze.... That look and the one he gives Ennis just after the reunion nuzzle are just the most romantic scenes every put on film. There, I said it!

:D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:52:50 pm »
Those two, definitely, and I'll add one more - the way he looks at Ennis in TS2 right before their first kiss.

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:29:03 pm »
Those two, definitely, and I'll add one more - the way he looks at Ennis in TS2 right before their first kiss.

Damn *faints* now I have to go watch it again, you're killing me Barb!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
This is great.  :)

Then there was the MtV "Best kiss" award, and I came across some local entertainment site that quoted another site called Lovefilm.com (apparently a DVD rental site, it turns out) that had also selected their own "10 best movie kisses". Despite some choices I didn't agree with, I sure agreed with their no. 1.  ;)Here's the link to the no. 1 in the countdown, merely to prove I'm not making this up, but unfortunately it's not English, so you'll have to be content looking at the pic, which isn't the one I'd have chosen, btw...)

And then there was another of the same some while back, another voting on "Best kiss" from some paper (?) (I really should have kept the reference, anyway it even got press in my local paper) that also had our guys and the reunion at no. 1.

My point is; the more the film and these scenes we love establish their obvious and rightful, even expected place in all such kinds of high-profile and less-than-high-profile votes and lists over best kiss/most romantic scene, the more the film serves its purpose in promoting acceptance and fighting off homophobia. Plus it proves that there *is* some justice in the world, since IMO the reunion is by far the hottest film kissage ever.  :P And as far as most romantic goes, IMO it's a tie between the dozy and the SNIT.  8)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:14:03 pm by Mikaela »

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
I haven't seen quite a few titles in that list. It would be interesting to see each critic's individual list, in addition to the collated result we are actually given.

I agree that the closing shot isn't exactly romantic in the sense that that word is normally used. Heartbreaking and infused with love, definitely. I concur with many of the rest of you that the dozy embrace is the most romantic moment in the film--especially the shot showing Jack watching Ennis ride away from the camp. The reunion kiss, along with the first tent scene, would probably get my vote for the most erotic moment the film offers.

One of my very favorite movie kisses didn't make the Times list at all. The kiss between Magdalena Montezuma and Annette Tirier in Werner Schroeter's magnificent 1972 experimental feature Der Tod der Maria Malibran is simply marvellous, in its elegant evocation of passion and its utopian implications.