Author Topic: Brokeback and the Number Three -- by Meryl_88  (Read 17596 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback and the Number Three -- by Meryl_88
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:14:50 pm »
Re: Brokeback and the Number Three   
  by naun     (Fri Apr 21 2006 15:30:10 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
UPDATED Fri Apr 21 2006 15:34:26
Naun, I hope your DVD has arrived by now and that you are happily noting even more symbology with every rewind.

Still no DVD, so I am reduced to waiting hungrily for scraps from the rest of you. And, of course, bumping threads like this one in the hope of getting questions answered.

I've wondered also about why Ennis has so many knives in his trailer. Has someone answered this in another thread? My only "stab" at an answer would be that they symbolize all the wounds, both self-inflicted and delivered by others, that Ennis (and possibly Jack, too) suffered over the years.

The same thing crossed my mind, but I keep thinking there's some reference we must be missing. Probably, however, not this one:

http://www.ennis-entrekusa.com/

Still, there's a nice one about two-thirds of the way down the page.

by meryl_88     (Fri Apr 21 2006 20:43:15 )   
Poor naun! Just go out and buy a DVD, fer Pete's sake. Give the other one as a gift to some lucky friend. 

Those are some serious knives, alright. Besides the Elk, I like the sound of the Companion. 
  by starboardlight     (Fri Apr 21 2006 21:12:49 )   
or donate it to the your local library when it comes. who did you order it from any way?

by naun     (Sat Apr 22 2006 01:20:14 )   
Besides the Elk, I like the sound of the Companion.

That must be a Jack-knife ...

Sorry! Brokeback deprivation must be getting to me. Amazon says they'll send me a replacement copy if the first one doesn't show up by this weekend.

But getting back to the triples, has anyone mentioned this one? Ennis moves his lips soundlessly, or nearly so, three times: once at his wedding, once reading the first postcard from Jack, and once more when he discovers the shirts.
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Sun Apr 30 2006 09:27:44
This message has been deleted by the poster
[Post deleted]   
  by rickythecat     (Mon Apr 24 2006 07:17:15 )   
and don't forget..there was three sheep there that had a striking resemblance to each other, perhaps triplets?
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Fri Apr 28 2006 23:21:54
  by taj_e     (Fri Apr 28 2006 23:07:21 )   
3 is my fav number lol
Good one (name removed by request)!

Since you mentioned Aguirre's telephone call, what exactly it was about? My guess was it was about money or about job

OT: If I'm not mistaken, Ennis did utter the word 'littledarlin' to Alma Jr during one of his dates with Cassie. The part where Cassie took him for a slow dance

'I wish I knew how to quit BBM...'
  by catglith     (Sat Apr 29 2006 06:08:07 )   
Ennis has 3 lovers - Jack, Alma and Cassie

We see 3 of Jack's (definite) sexual partners - Ennis, Lureen, Mexican hooker
[Post deleted]   
  by dreamy40     (Tue May 2 2006 02:39:56 )   
Sorry if I am repeating something already posted...there are three moles on the right of Jack's face in the first scene outside Aguirre's trailer.

Funny because my partner had three moles in a line down his face when I first noticed him 18 years ago.
  by meryl_88     (Tue May 2 2006 14:46:07 )   
Aguirre gives Jack 3 orders about the pup tent: No fire...don't leave no sign...you roll up that tent every mornin' case Forest Service snoops around.

There are 3 filing cabinets behind Aguirre's desk.

There are 3 red doors in the bar building where Jack and Ennis go to drink after being hired by Aguirre.

In the second scene in Aguirre's trailer, there are 3 fans visible: one set in the wall, one on a filing cabinet, and a floor fan under the window.

Also in the same scene, there are 3 jackets on the coat tree.

When looking for his blue parka, Jack searches through 3 jackets on a coat tree.
  by binbinc     (Fri May 5 2006 15:52:27 )   
bump
  by meryl_88     (Sun Apr 30 2006 08:53:13 )   
Whooeee! I've been away from the board for way too long. It's great to see all the added three's. (name removed by request), you rock! Three cheers for the Threemeister! 

Three writers made the screenplay of Brokeback a reality: Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:49:32 pm by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 07:15:34 pm »
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix      2 days ago (Mon Dec 18 2006 14:16:48 )   

by - (name removed by request) (Sun Apr 23 2006 20:20:58 )   

UPDATED Sun Apr 30 2006 09:27:44
Some more threes...

• 3 beer bottles in front of Jack as he and Ennis sit in the bar
• 3 bullrides--Jack twice, and another bullrider (whose name I can’t quite discern) the day Jack meets Lureen
• 3 drummers (not including Ennis or the drummer on the lampshade)
• 3 long streaks of blood on Ennis’s face after the bear encounter
• 3 people in the announcer’s booth during Lureen’s barrel racing
• 3 people own lighters--Aguirre, Jack, Ennis. (Edited: I think this is 4--looks like there’s a lighter on the table next to Lureen’s phone.)
• 3 people suggest that Ennis move--Alma (twice: from the lonesome old ranch and from their first spot at the picnic), 4th of July roughneck, Jack (“Maybe Texas”).
• 3 questions asked before Jack and Ennis part after Brokeback
• 3 shots of Jack’s red truck in motion as he and Ennis head to the mountains on their first fishing trip

• Jack takes 3 steps (on each foot) toward Ennis outside Aguirre’s office.
• Jack asks Ennis 3 questions in the bar.
• Jack hoists/carries 3 sheep on the journey up Brokeback.
• Jack flicks his fingernail on his belt buckle 3 times.
• Jack looks at and away from Ennis 3 times during the “one-shot thing” scene.
• Jack asks Ennis 3 questions in the motel.
• Jack gives L.D. 3 reasons to sit down.

• Ennis kicks the bucket at the Riverton apartment 3 times (“the extra shift” scene).
• Ennis says “thank you” to Jack 3 times--once for the use of Jack’s lighter, twice for whiskey.
• Ennis typically travels with 3 equines on Brokeback.

• Jack and Ennis have 3 kissing scenes (assuming there’s a kiss behind Ennis’s hat at the end of the happy tussle); 3 separate kissing shots during the reunion scene; at least 3 separate kisses during the second tent scene (and their first kiss happens on Jack’s third attempt)
• Jack and Ennis walk past 3 posts on the way to the bar (each walks past 2 posts, but 3 different posts total).

• “It’s okay” by Monroe to Alma after the peanut butter jars fall.
• “L.D.” by Mrs. Newsome (twice) and by Jack
• Alma explains 3 times why she wants to move from the lonesome old ranch: She gives 3 reasons for wanting to move (“I’m tired of these...”; “No one for Alma Jr. to play with.”; “I’m scared for Jenny...” She then mentions “There’s a cheap place in Riverton...” Finally, she gives 3 more reasons--“a real home, other kids for the girls to play with, not so lonely like you were raised.” Ennis offers 3 reasons for staying put: “...the rent in town is too high.”; “I bet you could fix this place up...”; “This ain’t so lonely now, is it?”
• Alma Jr. tells Ennis 3 details about the wedding--“...June 5th at the Methodist church. Jenny’ll be singin’ and Monroe’s gonna cater the reception.”
• Beans heated on the Brokeback grill 3 times--twice by Ennis, once by Jack
• Jimbo talks to 3 men at the pool table.
• Mrs. Twist asks Ennis 3 questions (although the third sounds almost like a statement).
• Mrs. Twist nods (conspicuously) at Ennis 3 times.

• “Brokeback Mountain” won 3 Academy Awards.
  by meryl_88     (Sat May 6 2006 10:19:03 )   
UPDATED Sat May 6 2006 13:19:35
Meryl, about that light bulb -- I'm starting to think that the various full moons, lamps, fires and other points of light are all related motifs.

Naun, regarding your earlier post about lamps, I just had a "light bulb" moment about the distinctive lamp that is sitting on the table next to Lureen during her phone conversation with Ennis. Going with the full moon symbolism, could its shape, like an overturned bowl, be symbolic of the fact that with Jack gone, the full circle of the moon is now cut in half?

I'm going to really stretch the "three" thing here and note that there are three examples of artificial lights that recall the full moon imagery of Ennis and Jack's love: the lamp beside Lureen during the phone call, the naked bulb over Ennis's head in the closet when he embraces the shirts, and a lamp with a naked bulb seen over Ennis's shoulder as he speaks to Alma, Jr., in the final trailer scene.
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Tue May 30 2006 19:06:08
  by meryl_88     (Sat May 6 2006 13:35:37 )   
Dang, I thought I checked back thoroughly for the filing cabinets. Oh well! And (name removed by request), we're far from even. You're waaaay ahead! 

*Bows before the great ThreeMeister*

We see the binoculars 3 times: Hanging on the wall behind Aguirre's desk (in the case in the first scene, out of the case in the second scene) and when he's got them with him on the mountain.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:48:05 pm by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:19:18 pm »
by - clancypants 2 days ago (Fri May 12 2006 21:24:39 )

meryl 88 --

As you know, I posted a comment about Ennis waking up in another post of mine (Parallelisms and Symbolism). You mentioned that I might want to post it here in the Number Three thread. So here it is... (thanks!)

I have never seen anyone bring up the fact that we see Ennis wake up three times and each time it’s to a bad situation away from which he must run:

1 – Ennis wakes up by the fire that has gone out, is dazed, gets up and stumbles around into the pots and pans and goes into the tent with Jack – Ennis has to get away from the cold situation;

2 – Ennis wakes up in the morning after the first tent scene, is dazed, and fumbles with his pants to get them on – Ennis has to get away from the sex situation; and,

3 – Ennis wakes up in the pup tent after the snow, is dazed, and dances around outside the tent as if asking Mother Nature “What are you doing?” just as he asked two others, Jack and Cassie – Ennis has to get away from the snow situation.

by meryl_88     (Sat May 13 2006 09:53:34 )

Thanks, clancy! That makes a super addition to this thread. 

And thanks to your post, I thought of another:

We see Ennis in a bed 3 times: twice with Alma and once with Jack in the motel.

Amazingly, I don't think anyone mentioned that the story begins in 1963 and ends (in the story at least) in 1983.

by meryl_88     (Sun May 14 2006 22:00:35 )

3 buildings are in the scene where the boys walk to the bar in Signal.

In the first shot of the boys ascending the mountain with the sheep, a lamb cries 3 times.

Food is hoisted on a tripod at the campsite.

3 streams, and 3 peaks, are seen on the mountains behind Ennis and Jack at the campfire before the first tent scene.

3 streaks of water run down the windshield in the scene at the drive-in.

by - (name removed by request[/]) (Sat May 6 2006 11:41:25 )   

UPDATED Fri May 12 2006 10:46:41
Meryl: I scooped you on the filing cabinets (but you beat me to the 3 offspring one, so we’re even!).

• Ennis straightens his collar 3 times after putting on his coat (at the very beginning).
• Ennis flips his lighter open and closed 3 times as he awaits Jack.
• Ennis pulls at Jack’s side 3 times before they turn over during the second tent scene.
• Ennis has 3 beer bottles near him during the Kojak scene.
• Ennis is reflected in 3 mirrors: Jack’s truck, Riverton apartment, Twists’ kitchen. (Is Jack reflected in any?)

• Jack blinks 3 times after Ennis says, “...suspicious, like he knows?”
• Jack mentions 3 things about Lureen’s dad: “serious money, farm machine business,” “hates my guts.”
• Jack removes his hat 3 times. (Contrast this with the 3 times other people remove it for him.)

• “Brokeback Mountain” by 3 people (4 times)
• “Brokeback” by 3 people (5 times)
• “Go, go, go” by Lureen as she “goes for home” during the barrel racing
• 3 cars parked outside the dance hall
• 3 crests & dips in the road in front of Jack as he drives to Ennis after the divorce. (Ups and downs of their relationship? The road to Mexico is flat...)
• 3 prominent animal sounds (3 important times): dog barks as they walk to the bar; owl hoots as Ennis enters the tent; crow caws as Ennis sits at Jack’s window
• 3 things were done to Earl.
• 3 things mentioned about Earl & Rich: “ranched up together;” “joke o’ town;” “pretty tough old birds.”
• 3 trees visible during the alley scene
• 3-word slogan: “Quality - Reliability - Service”
• During the first night shot on Brokeback, there are 3 sheep standing.
• It’s 3:30-ish during the “blue parka” scene.
• It’s 6:30-ish when Ennis dashes out of the room at the reunion.
• Monroe & Alma’s address is 913.
• John Twist criticizes Jack 3 times: “too goddamned special”; “half-baked notion”; “like most o’ Jack’s ideas.”

by starboardlight     (Mon May 15 2006 13:33:43 )   

there were 3 kitchen scenes, with Alma and Ennis. In all three, Alma is positioned in a corner near the sink, with Ennis on the other side of her. They have a brief exchange and Ennis leaves her where she is, but running off. In the first he runs off to check on the girls, the second to think more about Jack, after receiving the post card, and the third to get the hell out of there when Alma confronts him about "Jack Nasty".

by meryl_88     (Mon May 15 2006 15:03:49 )   

Very good, starboard! I've seen the 3 kitchen scenes mentioned, but not yet on this thread. In Casey's new thread about the 3 mountain pictures, he points out that each time Ennis leaves Alma in the kitchen, he passes by one of the idealized mountain paintings on the wall.

by meryl_88     (Tue May 16 2006 09:46:28 )

AAUUGGHH!! You are too much for me, (name removed by request[/]), you whoreson sonofabitch!! 

Amazing work, as usual! 

(However, I must point out that I beat you to the 3 red doors, ironically listed just below the infamous 3 filing cabinets in Aguirre's office. )

by dreamy40     (Tue May 16 2006 11:03:53 )   

All of these observations are phenomenal. But what do they mean? Why does the number three come up so much in the film?

by nonon99_99     (Sun May 28 2006 18:22:06 )   

UPDATED Sun May 28 2006 18:23:57
There is one more appearing of US flag, that is in the firework scene.
Anyone has special ideas about these images of US flag?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:16:01 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
Bumping this because man, there are a heckuva lot of threes in the film!  And also because it's neat to remember just how minutely we examined every minute of our beloved story.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...