Author Topic: EVENING, is this THE HOURS part II?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
EVENING, is this THE HOURS part II?
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:31:42 pm »
They have been advertising the heck out of thise film.  Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep, Claire Danes are all in this film.  Are they each going to have 20 minutes each or so.  ;)

THE BBM tie in is that it's a FOCUS FEATURES production so I try to support all their work .
I saw the book was written by Michael Cunningham (who wrote THE HOURS) and it's featuring a number of powerhouse female actresses.  Has anybody read the book?  What do you think. On rottentomatoes.com, it's not doing well in early reviews.  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/evening/   

I hope it's not a stinker, like BROKEN FLOWERS was, in my opinion, especially with all that talent.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: EVENING, is this THE HOURS part II?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:12:31 pm »
The book was written by Virginia Woolf was it not? It's kind of a chick flick. I saw it and enjoyed it, but man, was it ever depressing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:02:04 am »
I saw "Evening" at the Provincetown Film Festival two weeks ago, and loved it.  It's essentially about a women (Vanessa Redgrave) on her death bed, with her daughters visiting, who recalls/hallucinates an event from her youth.  Big themes of loss, regret, choices, what really matters.

Yes, I noticed it was from Focus Features too.  The book was written by Susan Minot, and Michael Cunningham (who wrote The Hours, an homage to Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway) cowrote the screenplay with Minot. 

The cast is terrific, I loved the acting.  The story was less gripping than the emotions portrayed. 

Looks like the reviews are all over the place.  I would recommend it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 01:22:26 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it... It's great they now have a filmfest in P-town as the movie theater there (in the 1990's) used to show the worst movies.  I saw Keanu Reeves (of all ppl!) playing a young Buddha (Little Buddha) at that theater. It's the only game in town so ppl had to settle for whatever is playing.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:41:47 pm »
The old movie theatre in Ptown has been renovated.  It's known as the "Art House".  Now, they mostly show live performances:  comedy, drag, stuff like that.  There's a large cafe also.  There is a small movie theatre in the Whaler's Wharf building. 

The Art House is one of the many venues for showing films during the festival, which marked its 9th this year. 

BTW, "Little Buddha" was truly awful.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 02:03:56 pm »
The old movie theatre in Ptown has been renovated.  It's known as the "Art House".  Now, they mostly show live performances:  comedy, drag, stuff like that.  There's a large cafe also.  There is a small movie theatre in the Whaler's Wharf building. 

The Art House is one of the many venues for showing films during the festival, which marked its 9th this year. 

BTW, "Little Buddha" was truly awful.

Dear God, he looks like Liz Taylor in Cleopatra!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.