Author Topic: How do you feel about firecrackers?  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: How do you feel about firecrackers?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:33:20 am »

Firecrackers are banned in Australia. We have big firework displays on special occasions, such as New Year's Eve, and the displays usually centre around Sydney Harbour's spectacular scenery, featuring the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Such displays usually attract hundreds of thousands of spectators. But as for individual, personal use in Oz, firecrackers are strictly illegal. That wasn't always the case. When I was growing-up in the 50s and 60s, we celebrated Empire Night with firecrackers and a bonfire at the local beach. There were always horror stories in the media the following day, about some idiot putting a cracker in some poor dog's ear. Unlike all the other little boys, when I was a child, I personally preferred the pretty Catherine wheels, sky-rockets and sparklers, over the noisy bungers that exploded with a deafening bang. I can't imagine why that was so!  ::)   ;)   :) 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 03:02:47 am »
Fireworks and thunder (both fortunately rare here) both make my dog get in the bathtub.  And my four year old in my bed.  She and I agreed this evening that she can just go ahead and sleep n my bed every night til after the 4th of July. 

I CAN tell that the teenage boy down the street has moved away.  It's much quieter this year than the last two years.  Still kind of noisy, though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:44:03 pm »
Fireworks and thunder (both fortunately rare here) both make my dog get in the bathtub.  And my four year old in my bed.  She and I agreed this evening that she can just go ahead and sleep n my bed every night til after the 4th of July. 

I CAN tell that the teenage boy down the street has moved away.  It's much quieter this year than the last two years.  Still kind of noisy, though.

Awww! That's so cute!  :D

Both Cody and Oreo sleep with me anyway. But even if they didn't, I'm sure they would insist on it this week. They HATE those fireworks; especially when one lands on my roof next to the bedroom window!  :laugh:

Poor babies.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »
Clarissa, what is that lamb doing in your avatar??  :laugh:  :laugh:

Is he doing what I THINK he's doing??  :D

:laugh: :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Scott6373

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »
Hate firecrackers...a lot

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »

I love the kind that are put on by the firedept. or whoever, but i hate the firecrackers..They are just two times a year pain in the assess .as far as im concerned...I dont get the facination with blowing something up just to hear the damned racket.  Never mind the fact that people get maimed and killed every year with the carelessness of them...  I HATE FIRECRACKERS.............TRAUMATIZE ANIMALS, AND
BABIES.   what fun

Beautiful mind

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 08:05:21 pm »
I use to love shootin them as a kid.  Never had a bad experience.   Aways had a group of fellow neighboring kids watching me to see if I would mess up. 
Going to see them at the park is something I can pass on. No adredaline rush, that for sure.  I always had to fake enthusiasm when I went with a group.  Oh boy, is it over yet.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 02:59:14 am »
Clarissa, what is that lamb doing in your avatar??  :laugh:  :laugh:

Is he doing what I THINK he's doing??  :D

:laugh: :laugh:

It's gone from my avatar now, but it was the infamous BBM peeing sheep.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »
I hate them with a passion becuase they terrify the dogs and people don't know when to stop.  They selfishly shoot the darn things off half the night with no regard for their neighbors.  There aught to be a law.  damn things are dangerous too, even the so called "safe and sane" ones.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 01:56:54 pm »
Hate firecrackers with a passion, and am scared of the big, fancy, professionally produced fireworks. For the latter, it's really the big, booming sound that frightens me--if I can watch them from a muted distance, I can actually enjoy them. For the former, I find these extremely annoying, and am frustrated that they remain so popular in my neighborhood, despite being illegal to sell and set off within the city limits. That doesn't stop folks around here from doing so every time a holiday comes around the sun sets sufficiently for them to operate under cover of darkness.