Author Topic: OT (Sort of) - Hedwig and the Angry Inch  (Read 11418 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
OT (Sort of) - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:22:51 am »
... Or should I say "...INCH!", Juan?  ;)

I watched this movie Saturday night on Juan's recommendation (and that of another friend who had thought that since I love Brokeback so much, I ought to love this one, too) and I uber-loved it.  What a great movie!  On its surface, it's a John Waters-esque campy transsexual/punk rock story, but at its heart, it's a *startlingly* beautiful love story.  And there is one scene in it in particular that is eerily reminiscent of Brokeback - you see, Hedwig/Hansel is in love with a young man who does not want other people to know he's gay - doesn't even want to admit it to himself.  The difference is these are East Berliner punk rockers in the 80s, not Wyoming ranch hands in the 60s.  But it's about the only difference.  It's a movie that definitely bears repeat viewings, too, especially if you like punk rock music, which I definitely do.  Brilliant, brilliant stuff.  Funny as hell, sad as hell, romantic as hell.  Here's a link to it at IMDb.  Needless to say at this point, I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/

No more beans!

rtprod

Re: OT (Sort of) - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:29:53 am »
Barb,

Skip the movie soundtrack and get the ORIGINAL CAST ALBUM, which is still John Cameron Mitchell and the same band but much rawer, faster tempo slightly and overall just more rock and roll.  The Origin of Love is so amazing on this album, and much different from the film.  GET IT.

AWESOME -- I have seen this show 24 times onstage, in various productions in New York, Chicago and San Francisco.  Will never forget seeing this at the Jane Street Theater in Manhattan the first time way back.  For a summer I did some marketing work for one production and traveled around the city with the cast and crew doing live gigs.  In a live setting it is positively overwhelming, a fusion of gender and sexual politics, incredible rock and roll that rips through you and Hedwig "herself," who just tears you up by the end of the show when Midnight Radio is played.  I have seen it with John Cameron Mitchell, Michael Cerveris, Ally Sheedy (!) and the transcendent Seattle native NICK GARRISON, who owns the role, has done it around the country, and is so shattering, funny, sweet, tender, rough and just overall unbelievable -- he's won awards for this performance in multiple cities.  If you ever can see NICK GARRISON do it, you will not believe your eyes or your heart by the end.  Here's a photo of Nick:

And a link to an old site for the Seattle production, where you can see him in full Hedwig glory--GO LOOK AT THE VIDEO CLIPS!!!!!!!!:

http://www.hedwigseattle.com/

This story, of a fractured soul searching for his other half, is really profound and moving.  One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE experiences.  But this is not merely a drag show in any way, it is an homage to glam-rock, a tragic and funny Eastern European coming of age story, a roaring rock and roll show bar none.  Stephen Trask's music, the costumes, make-up, wig and etc. are sublime really....

To anyone who can see this show onstage (or even the film, which is a little more low-key) GO NOW.  You will never forget it. 

Another thing we agree on Barb -- lol.  Dreamed about you the other night too.  Guess that should go in a PM.

rt
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:15:54 pm by rtprod »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:52:54 am »
I'm extremely jealous, RT.  I would *LOVE* to see the stage show.  I'll have to look to see where I can find one.  And one that includes Nick Garrison.  Is John Cameron Mitchell still doing Hedwig/Hansel?  Man, the music alone blew me away.  It's my favorite kind - punk/glam rock - for starters.  And it's beyond brilliant - it puts my current political/sexual punk/glam rock heroes, Green Day, to shame.  I am *so* buying it and the soundtrack if I can find it.  Midnight Radio just rocked my world - especially in Hedwig's finally setting of his poor, long-suffering, also-ran partner free.  But The Origin of Love is life-alteringly beautiful, too.  And it was startling to me how beautiful Mitchell turned out to be under all that makeup.  Interesting how strikingly masculine men tend to make hideous women, isn't it?  Not always, but usually.
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:55:29 am »
Hey Barb,

Yeah, he is a little tiny man underneath that huge wig and outfit -- lol.   I think JCM has retired the mane so to speak...  lol

I updated my post to include a link to a site where you can see video clips of Nick....

The problem with the clip on the site, which is THE ORIGIN OF LOVE, is that they are running another song under it as well from the home page, so it's all garbled....  If you can turn the main audio off then just hear the clip, you'll hear a beautiful song....

rt

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:59:16 am by rtprod »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 05:41:54 pm »
Hi Barb, nothing for me to add here except welcome to the club.  I only saw Hewig a couple of years ago for the first time on viseo, and was blown away.  It was one of those "where have you been all my life" moments, or maybe, "how is it possible that I didn't know something this good existed".  If I ever hear of a local stage production I'll definitely be going to see it - you just know that it would be incredible live.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:51:32 pm »
i love hedwig.  it's the only movie i've ever been able to watch over and over without getting sick of it.  i mean i have literally spent nights watching it, i watched it 3 times in a row once.  it's so profoundly beautiful.  and i love the soundtrack too. 
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 01:59:15 am »
"Last time I saw you
We'd just split in two.
You were looking at me.
I was looking at you. You
had a way so familiar,
But I could not recognize,
Cause you had blood on your face;
I had blood in my eyes.
But I could swear by your expression
That the pain down in your soul
Was the same as the one down in mine.
That's the pain,
Cuts a straight line down through the heart;
We called it love.
We wrapped our arms around each other,
Trying to shove ourselves back together.
We were making love,
Making love."

JCM is a genius for putting those words together. I don't know if brilliant is the right word, but they're express something so primal and urgent to me.

I remember reading Casey's "Classical Reference" thread, and the discussion veered off to the Bruderschaft. This song was my first intro to the "Children of the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth." I loved that JCM stirred several old mythologies into one story told through song. In the thread, Casey and naun and a few others talked about how Proulx might have been referencing this story for the title. After all the children were "broken" apart at the back.How achingly beautiful, the idea that Ennis and Jack were the two halves that found each other. It was probably a stretch, but still it's there for us to ponder.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:01:11 am by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 09:51:04 am »
Barb that's so cool that you liked it!  I had never seen the show so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved the music, the performers and the direction, definitely an overlooked musical adaptation.  The song "Wicked Little Town" is my favorite, and there was a benefit album put out last year or so, and Rufus Wainwright does a version of "Origin of Love" that's really good.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:04:48 am »
Mmmmm.  Beautiful, beautiful words, Nipith.  Thanks for posting that.  And Juan, *THANK YOU* for encouraging me to watch this movie when I was :gasp!: about to send it back without viewing it out of spite for the ex-friend who said she'd see Brokeback on the condition that I see Hedwig and then proceeded to gleefully tear Brokeback apart afterwards.  And now I just cannot begin to understand how she cannot see that they are the same story, both just as exquisitely told, albeit completely (almost) differently so.
No more beans!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 02:57:52 am »
Love me some Hedwig.  I saw the London production with Michael Cerveris in 2000.  Thought the adaptation into a film was so well done.  I'll be on the lookout for Nick, rt.