Author Topic: Why did Ennis send the divorce-postcard?  (Read 8214 times)

TJ

Re: Why did Ennis send the divorce-postcard?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 09:44:04 pm »
In the last time together at the trailhead parking lot, when Jack is already in his own truck, Ennis gets really emotional and it looks like he is either having a heart attack or a fit of rage to Jack, after Jack says, "I wish I knew how to quit you."

The book-Ennis has nor verbal response when Jack says that sentence. And before Jack can get out of his truck, Ennis has straightened up, like a coat hanger putting itself back the way it was on its own, acting as though he didn't get angry in the first place.

While Ennis got into fights really easy when he was not around Jack, I don't think Annie Proulx's Ennis would have ever hit Jack when he was upset with him.

To use modern gay lingo here, Ennis tried really hard to "act like a straight man" through out the story since he just knew that people on the street could tell he was that way just by looking at him. But, only a person with the gift of gaydar would have even known what Ennis' sexual orientation was in the first place.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Why did Ennis send the divorce-postcard?
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 10:47:39 pm »
Here's what I think.  Proulx was deliberate when she mentions about the time Jack drove all that way to visit Ennis when he heard about the divorce.  Don't think it was a plot device though.  Ennis must have had a weak moment, and leaned on Jack emotionally.  I think Ennis was really reaching out to Jack subconsciously, but pulled himself together by the time Jack surprised him by showing up in his driveway.

This is what I think too FF.  It's really easy for someone that's wanting more to project and see things the way they deperately need them to be.  Any hint of need from Ennis would all too easily be interpreted by Jack as a change of heart.  Not overly convinced this extends to Ennis actually considering shacking up with Jack, but it makes sense that he needed "something".

And cool story about your friend, you must have been spewing there for a while?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare