Author Topic: JACK DID IT: What About YOU?  (Read 25297 times)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: JACK DID IT: What About YOU?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 08:30:54 pm »
Oh it's long.  How short can I make it?
I took part in a series of  "leadership seminars" in college... brainchild of the dean of student life... not a great idea, or at least not all that well-executed.  Anyway one of them was led by a prof from the philosophy department -- in fact the head of the dept.  I don't remember exactly but I think we were discussing the "philosophical ramifications" of being in a position of hiring and firing employees.  There was some dead horse being beaten -- and in my opinion an irrelevant, moot horse.  I said I thought it was "pointless" to discuss such-and-such further.  Yes, I had grown impatient and bored, and perhaps it was sourpussy or wet-blankety of me. 

Instead of saying something like "well, the majority of the group think it merits further discussion" or "this is just the sort of thing you might have to endure in a boardroom someday, missy, so get used to it!" or any number of things, even sharp-tongued things, he simply said something like "Well, maybe it is pointless, so I guess this discussion is over."  In stunned silence, we watched him pack up his things and leave, twenty minutes into a fifty-minute session.  Two people said things like "don't worry about it -- he's done this kind of thing before" or "it's not your fault."  That helped.  Still, it made me feel like an awful, awful person.  I know I'm not awful; I know I'm compassionate and civil.  So I had a little death of those beliefs.  No, they fell into a coma and awoke eventually.

I think I would have burst into tears right then and there! How did it go the next time you saw him?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2006, 07:34:23 am »
Worst flirting that was ever tried on me:

I was sitting alone in a West Hollywood bar, as I so often did.  I was around 21.  I was approached by a guy approxiamately 20 years my senior.  He was pudgy and not at all my type.

"Hi," he said, shaking my hand.  His voice and general bearing gave the impression that the phrase "Dirty old man" had been invented for him, regardless of the fact that no, he wasn't old (don't get sensitive, anyone).  I didn't want to be unneighborly so we continued shaking hands during the following interchange.

"Uh, hi."

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Uh..."

"Are you available for dating?"

"Uh..."

"I've got 10 inches.  You like 10 inches?"

It was at this point that I let go of his hand.  What was most humorous was how surprised he was that I wasn't interested in knowing more about his 10 inches because, after all, who doesn't like 10 inches?

I have a friend in town whom I've often refered to as my favortie sexual partner of all time.  We never dated, we were just that kind of friends.  Sex was something he was.  Look up sex in the dictionary, there he is.  He had a pickup line that worked for him that I doubt would work for anyone else.  He would meet a potential Mr. Right Now and at some point during the conversation he would say, "So, would you like to get together for pizza and a fuck?  Or don't you like pizza?"

Yes indeed.  Not for everyone.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2006, 08:01:57 am »
He would meet a potential Mr. Right Now and at some point during the conversation he would say, "So, would you like to get together for pizza and a fuck?  Or don't you like pizza?"

Yes indeed.  Not for everyone.

LOL..that brought up an old memory...

I once had a guy say to me, "Only two things to do in Maine: fishing and fucking. And in the winter, there ain't a whole helluva lot of fishing going on."

I wasn't quite sure how to take this since he said it to me in the summer....

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

TJ

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2006, 07:22:02 pm »
I wouldn't have been surprised if my father had actually used one of his favorite introductions as a pickup line long before he met Mom.

I never heard him say it to a person who was in his age group; but, he did say to younger fellows, even to my friends when they had not been introduced, while extending his hand, "Howdy, M' name's Merle. "Spose y' know yores."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2006, 02:17:02 pm »
I went back and read your post again, Scott. Great pickup line! I will have to remember that about sexual tension (how could I forget!)

And Barb, I need you to come to my defense about men liking to be ignored. It worked for you, according to your story about meeting your hubby. I don't know why men like women who won't dance with them, to paraphrase...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 02:08:46 pm »
This thread needs new life!  There are some fun stories buried in here!  It dates from early in CT's history here when I was shy  ::).

I don't think I've done any real flirting in quite a few years, since my divorce, really.  The few instances I can think of are relatively recent and have been pretty much as safe as possible (not unintentionally).  You know who you are!! - and I have to say thank you for accepting it with grace and good humor.  There's something intrinsically good about a little flirting for the self-esteem boost (at least when it doesn't bomb)...it doesn't need to lead anywhere at all.

That said, though, I have a candidate in mind for some not-so-harmless flirting in my immediate future, so I'll have to report back my luck or lack thereof  ;)!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

moremojo

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »
Hey, Lynne,

It's fun to get this blast from the past; it all seems so long ago now, but you're right, some wonderful anecdotes to be found here.

Your quote here...:
There's something intrinsically good about a little flirting for the self-esteem boost (at least when it doesn't bomb)...it doesn't need to lead anywhere at all.
...reminded me of a scene from the (made for television?) film of "The Naked Civil Servant", a biopic on Quentin Crisp starring John Hurt as the venerable Crisp, from circa 1976. Crisp's character stated here that one of his fondest memories in life was a moment of innocent flirtation between himself and a crew of cheeky but good-natured sailors. He said that nothing happened, and that nothing was going to happen...just a little bit of innocent, friendly fun that he cherished as an emotional high point in his existence.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2006, 02:53:13 pm »
Quentin Crisp was one for the quips wasn't he? I hear him quoted all the time. And he was great as Elizabeth I in the movie Orlando.

moremojo

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2006, 04:44:59 pm »
Quentin Crisp was one for the quips wasn't he? I hear him quoted all the time. And he was great as Elizabeth I in the movie Orlando.
A friend of mine actually spoke to Mr. Crisp on the phone once--a rather bizarre, convoluted set of circumstances brought the two together aurally, but my friend handled himself with poise and grace, judging from his account of the conversation, and Mr. Crisp sounded as if he were as charming and gentle as one would have expected. He definitely had a sharp mind of great refinement.

Yes, I thought he was quite good as the Queen(!) in Orlando, a film that on the whole I found unsuccessful (though the same director's [Sally Potter] later Yes I consider to be a masterpiece, one of the great movies of the young twenty-first century).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2007, 12:06:23 pm »
Just for Scott's sake, let's bring this topic back one more time!!