Author Topic: Anyone seen the film Strangers in Good Company ?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Anyone seen the film Strangers in Good Company ?
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:10:18 pm »
Wondering if anyone has seen this little film.  It's Canadian, was produced back in the 80s or 90s, and features a group of mostly older women using their real names.  I have a feeling it was pretty much unscripted.  They were going out to find a summer house that the oldest one used to stay in, their bus broke down and they had to take shelter in an abandoned home.  Nothing scary, though.  They got to know each other better over several days. 

It's not the sort of film to watch  if you're looking for lots of action and a plot; it's all about people.    I remember one of the elderly ladies mentioning she was a lesbian. The others were a Mohawk woman, a younger black woman, a nun, and several others of various backgrounds.   
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Anyone seen the film Strangers in Good Company ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 11:09:41 pm »
Being a good little Canadian, I have definitely seen The Comfort of Strangers (The canadian title)!  It's an amazing little film really, I loved it.  The lesbian in the film was Mary Meigs.  She was the partner of Mary-Claire Blais, a famous Québec writer but she was also very accomplished herself, as a writer and as a artist.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:27:48 am »
Ah....a different title!    Do you know if it's on DVD?

Have you also seen a Canadian film called Last Night ?   Also very quirky, about some people facing the end of the world, but done with humor, mostly.   It's not on DVD yet that I know of.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »
Ah....a different title!    Do you know if it's on DVD?

Have you also seen a Canadian film called Last Night ?   Also very quirky, about some people facing the end of the world, but done with humor, mostly.   It's not on DVD yet that I know of.

I loved Last Night!  For one thing, it stars Sarah Polley & Genevieve Bujold (the French Teacher), two of my favourite Canadian actors and also David Cronenberg.  And I thought Callum Keith Rennie was really sexy in it.  He plays the guy trying to fulfill his every sexual fantasies.

Both DVDs are available from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Strangers-Good-Company-Mary-Meigs/dp/B0000296R6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9367126-9294207?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1183761700&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-Jessica-Booker/dp/B0000A1HRG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9367126-9294207?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1183761736&sr=1-1

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:40 pm »
Thanks!     I don't know why Netflix can't keep up.....

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:52:37 pm »
I went ahead and bought Last Night from Amazon.    It's quite good.   Also noticed that Roberta Maxwell, who played Jack Twist's mother, is in it, as the mother of the main character.  She has her hair blonde and bobbed, but you can tell it's her.  The eyes have it.