Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91188 times)

injest

Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:18:20 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:

(I always loved that line from Cheers!)

so..what ARE you reading? Do you read?

Talking about BOOKS...real books...remember those?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22:10 am »
I'm getting ready to read Harry Potter! I'm waiting for it to arrive at my house. Right now, I'm not reading anything Jess.

What you reading?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:24:01 am »
I am currently reading Bob Newhart's autobiography "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This" It is good...interesting and typical Newhart amusing...very dry humor.

and

"Chosen By A Horse" by Susan Richards

this is a memoir about a recovering alcoholic with an abusive background rescuing a racehorse. It is very funny to me because I recognize so much of what she goes thru with the horses she owns...and painful because she hits home on a lot of the things she says.

One of the things she says is that she carried a secret with her for a long time. Inside she called herself a writer although she had never written anything.....she had been calling herself a writer since she was seven! (I have been calling myself a writer since the second grade)

a good book. I would recommend it.

injest

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:25:13 am »
I'm getting ready to read Harry Potter! I'm waiting for it to arrive at my house. Right now, I'm not reading anything Jess.

What you reading?

hey!! thank you for posting so quick!!

You are not gonna be at the bookstore at midnight Friday??!! :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:28:05 am »

No, I ordered mine off Amazon, so it will be mailed to me. I hope it gets here on time! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 12:29:27 am »

You know I love you Jess!   :-*

injest

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:31:29 am »
{{{David}}}

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 01:03:39 am »
I confess that I can sometimes be caught reading fluffy books.  I'm a fan of a few romance/romantic suspense writers - Nora Roberts' High Noon was just released and I'm halfway through.  For a long time, it was good escapist reading, but I'm not nearly as into it as I was pre-Brokeback.

I'm looking forward to Suzanne Brockmann's new release - Force of Nature - her gay FBI agent - Jules Cassidy - has another major subplot, maybe even a happily-ever-after!!  :D  That's a huge step in the romance novel genre - she's breaking ground!

I am also very much into noir - both the classics like Hammett and Chandler and the contemporary writers of crime fiction - Michael Connelly is my favorite, but I also enjoy Robert Crais, Dennis Lehane, like that.  I've recently finished Connelly's The Overlook and a collection of short stories by different authors entitled Los Angeles Noir.

I think what fascinates me about noir is how integral the setting is to the story.  It's similar to Brokeback Mountain in that sense.  For me, Sam Spade no more could have existed outside 1930's San Francisco than Jack and Ennis could have outside 1963+ Wyoming.  Yet their stories speak to me and are timeless.  There's the real mystery...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 01:09:35 am »
I love fluff...I read for escape and amusement. I occassionally read heavier stuff but mostly I read lighter fare!

Just read Pride and Prejudice last year at the recommendation of a friend I met online...but never been into the classics much. I do like Sci fi...especially short stories.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 01:36:19 am »
I love fluff...I read for escape and amusement. I occassionally read heavier stuff but mostly I read lighter fare!

Just read Pride and Prejudice last year at the recommendation of a friend I met online...but never been into the classics much. I do like Sci fi...especially short stories.

Very cool, Jess.  I'm the same way.  My minor was southern American literature so I've read my share of heavy stuff - that's how I decided Truman had to be my new best friend when I first noticed him!  ::) ;)  His signature line was sporting a quote from Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood so I impressed terrified him with my BBM/O'Connor tattoo analysis!  :laugh: :laugh:  Very glad now he didn't write me off as a total nutjob! (er...or I think he hasn't  :laugh: )

Pride and Prejudice is still in the ToBeRead pile - I can't get into it.  Same goes for Dickens - my oldest friend is a huge Dickens fan and she cannot understand why I can't read him.  One day I'll be able to - it's funny how you really have to be in the right place for some things.  Crime and Punishment got me through my first flight after 9/11.  And actually it helped me to resolve some of my feelings over that horrible day.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."