Author Topic: Hey, non-Americans  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Hey, non-americans.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 09:35:05 pm »
Lucise:

Ditto -- as a fellow Albertan, Calgarian nutso, I also take offense at that appelation, Chanterais.

No indeed, Alberta hasn't cornered the market on nutsos.  Ontarians have their own special brand of insanity.  To wit: eight dead bikers in trunks.  I'll say no more.

I'm with Ro on this.  I think it's an interesting little blip on the American cultural landcape, but I don't think it's in any danger of becoming the dominant view.  I think the vast majority of Americans, though they believe in God, also understand that there are appropriate venues for certain debates and beliefs.  Just as most Americans agree that public schools are not the place for prayer, so they understand that that science class is not the place for exploring the idea of intelligent design.

I mean, I think the question about the presence and role of a higher being in the universe is incredibly important and worth examining (and I say that as a confirmed atheist), but school science classes are not the right forum for that discussion.  Science, as a discipline, is based on a very specific method whereby theories must be able to be disproved.  The existence of an intelligent creator simply cannot be disproved, and therefore it's not a legitimate scientific theory.  Period.  It's an important question, but it ain't science.

That said, I bet a great science teacher could really use the concept of intelligent design to help kids understand the scientific method, and to better realize how the acceptance of the Big Bang theory is based on educated consensus rather than solid, unimpeachable facts. 

I will now get off my soapbox and go soak my head.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 11:49:22 pm »
No, not taught in Australia.  We have a religion-based political party here called "family first" that raised the subject last year, but it thankfully never made it passed a discussion.  Religious groups over here don't have the political clout that they do in the U.S.  I guess we're also a little too laid back for that sort of nonsense anyway.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 01:12:48 am »
a political background on this.

"Intelligent Design" is obviously a new name to the old "creationism" theory, and is currently purely American idea. It came into being when creationism was ruled unconstitutional. The fundamental Christians then repackaged it with a new brand name. By speaking about creation in terms that are non-religion specific (they don't use the word God anywhere) they hoped to be able to by pass the separation of church and state. Since it's not a idea that push any church or religion, it doesn't challenge the church and state line. That's their thinking anyway. Of course most people recognize it for what it is. An attempt to put creationism back into the American education system.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 02:10:27 am »
a political background on this.

"Intelligent Design" is obviously a new name to the old "creationism" theory, and is currently purely American idea. It came into being when creationism was ruled unconstitutional. The fundamental Christians then repackaged it with a new brand name.

Exactly, Starbie.

My embarrassment is that this is yet another issue that fearful, smallminded people in my country have thunk up.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Hey, non-Americans
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 06:08:31 am »
Somehow this topic title is in my head to the tune of David Bowie's "Young Americans."

"Non-Americans, non-Americans, they were the non-Americans.  All night, they were the non-Americans,"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 08:24:23 am »
Yep, not taught in Scottish schools either (England and Scotland have different examinations so thought I'd just back up becky...seems to be a UK wide thing or basically world wide apart from US!!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:40 am »
I fear it's more than a "blip."  It's in exactly the same category, in my mind, as the ballot measures on gay marriage: right-wing tactics that force the fearful to vote for what comforts them.

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 05:33:09 pm »

It's not taught in India either, as far as I know.
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 08:54:15 am »
Somehow this topic title is in my head to the tune of David Bowie's "Young Americans."

"Non-Americans, non-Americans, they were the non-Americans.  All night, they were the non-Americans,"

As a Bowie fan, you tickled my fancy, Elle..  ;)

And now I'm going to hear THAT version every time I play him!!  :-\

;D
Chut up!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 09:13:27 pm »
Yes folks, there are politicians working right now to make America a Christian Theocrasy.  We keep trying like hell to stop them but they keep lying and cheating to win elections, like the good Christians they are, giving actual good Christians a bad name.  They're bound to implode sometime.  Soon.  Please God, soon.