Author Topic: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook  (Read 28453 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:36:52 am »
Do any of you have some recipes you would like to post and share with the rest of the community? Maybe we could post them in here! My mom passed down MANY recipes to me after she died. Some are traditional Lakota dishes, some are African American, and others are popular dishes served in the midwest and the south.

Maybe you all could post some of your favorite recipes too? I think it would be interesting and fun to exchange recipes with each other and try dishes from other parts of the world.

What do you think?

Okay!  :D

I'll go first!!!  :D

Hoosier Corn Bread

You will need:

2 cups of yellow corn meal
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup of sweet milk
1/4 cup of cooking oil or melted shortening

Combine corn meal, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the sweet milk, egg and oil or shortening. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened but do not beat. Pour into a well greased 8 inch square baking pan dusted with corn meal. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes or until done and a light golden brown.

This recipe makes about 16, 2 inch square pieces.

If you don't like sweet milk, you can use buttermilk instead. Simply decrease the baking powder to 2 teaspoons, and add 1 teaspoon of soda to the recipe.

Enjoy!!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Pages From My Mama's Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:53:27 am »
David, what is sweet milk?  What do you typically eat with this corn bread?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:02 am »

It comes in a can, Clarissa. You should be able to find it in your grocery store. Look for Borden's "Eagle Brand". If you can't find it, you can always  substitute it with buttermilk. I like the sweet milk because it adds a sweet taste to the corn bread.  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:24 am »
Great idea, David! You should also post the Key Lime pie recipe... and the fried chicken?  :P :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:50:07 pm »

Oops! I missed part of your question Clarissa! Sorry about that!

Corn bread is good with just about anything, but I often make it when I'm serving pot roast, stew or casseroles. My room mate likes to put a couple of pieces in a bowl and pour syrup on them. I don't like it with syrup. I put butter on mine! But it's best served while it's still warm, otherwise it tends to taste a little dry.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:03 pm »
Great idea, David! You should also post the Key Lime pie recipe... and the fried chicken?  :P :P

Oh I will!  :D

But I'm hoping other people will post their recipes in here too!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »
I think sweet milk is also known as condensed milk, which is not to be confused with evaporated milk.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:56:43 am »
There's several different ways I make this, but this is probably the easiest! It is fast, simple and requires NO baking!  :D

Key Lime Pie

You will need:

9" graham cracker pie crust
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. non-dairy topping (ie: Cool Whip)
1/2 cup lime juice

Mix condensed milk with non-dairy topping at medium speed until blended. Add lime juice to mixture and blend well. Pour into graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:08:57 am »
I think sweet milk is also known as condensed milk, which is not to be confused with evaporated milk.

When I was growing up--in the country--we called regular milk "sweet milk" to distinguish it from buttermilk. We called the sweetened condensed milk "Eagle Brand Milk" even if that's not the brand we used. We also used "light bread" for regular bread to distinguish it from cornbread which was served daily. Seems so strange now.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:40 am »
When I was growing up--in the country--we called regular milk "sweet milk" to distinguish it from buttermilk. We called the sweetened condensed milk "Eagle Brand Milk" even if that's not the brand we used. We also used "light bread" for regular bread to distinguish it from cornbread which was served daily. Seems so strange now.

It sounds like Indiana and Arkansas are somewhat similar; we use some of the same terminology Shasta. DId you also call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper" when you were growing up? We did! And like you, I grew up on cornbread! Mom also made lots and lots of fry bread, which is a Lakota Sioux recipe. Maybe I'll post a fry bread recipe here sometime soon! It's good!!  :D