Author Topic: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!  (Read 59247 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 is a KILLER movie! GO!
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2006, 12:55:09 pm »
Rottentomatoes emails me every week with movie reviews.  For MI3, it said something like, nevermind it's nonsensical plot, it's gotten the best reviews of the series.  Even if I didn't dislike Tom Cruise, I try and limit how many movies I see where I know going into it that it's gonna be ridiculous.  My summer popcorn movies are gonna be X-3, Superman, possibly Poseidon and The Da Vinci Code.

Juan, I'm going to meet you and treat you to this film...

lol

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2006, 01:02:21 pm »

You better believe I do, you're my first stop on my summer road trip babe.

xo    ;)

rt

You like lobster, rt? (Gotta figure out some way to get ya to put Maine on the road trip itinerary...)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

rtprod

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2006, 02:47:46 pm »
You like lobster, rt? (Gotta figure out some way to get ya to put Maine on the road trip itinerary...)

L

Leslie babe, you're too good to me, you know that?     ;D

And it won't take lobster to get me up to your place -- just you. 

rt 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2006, 10:02:48 pm »
I may have to wait for DVD on this one.

Saw this on CNN. It's interesting, Tom's weird behaviors started to impact his earning power.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/05/10/cruise.poll.reut/index.html

Cruise's popularity on the skids?
Overexposed or odd, Cruise's behavior may be costing him millions

Wednesday, May 10, 2006; Posted: 9:15 p.m. EDT (01:15 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Powerful Hollywood friends of Tom Cruise rallied to his defense Wednesday as a new poll suggested the actor's odd behavior in recent months may have cost him millions of dollars at the box office.

Days after his latest movie, "Mission: Impossible III," opened to lower-than-expected domestic ticket sales, a USA Today/Gallup poll showed Cruise's star power has dimmed considerably during the past year in the eyes of the public.

In the poll of 1,013 adults conducted over the weekend the film opened in theaters, 35 percent had a favorable opinion of Cruise, while 51 percent had an unfavorable opinion.

That's a major turnaround from last year when Cruise's previous film, "War of the Worlds," opened and his poll ratings were 58 percent favorable and 31 percent unfavorable.

USA Today reported that Cruise's popularity decline with women was especially sharp, slipping from a 56 percent favorable rating in 2005 to 35 percent now.

The poll prompted a concerted defense by Cruise's supporters, who insisted the actor's popularity and standing as one of Hollywood's most bankable stars was undiminished.

"Tom Cruise is one of the most important stars ever in the motion picture business," Universal Studios President Ron Meyer, a close friend and former agent, told Reuters. "I don't know anybody who has had the consistent success rate that Tom has. And nobody should be counting him out."

"Mission: Impossible III" grossed $47.7 million in its first three days at the North American box office, well short of the $60 million to $70 million expected by industry watchers despite generally warm reviews and an extra-wide opening in more than 4,000 theaters.

rtprod

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2006, 11:50:43 pm »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment?  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

Whether or not Cruise is convicted in the court of public opinion, the film is still pretty damn good.

rt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:38:09 am by rtprod »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2006, 12:22:38 am »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment.  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

Whether or not Cruise is convicted in the court of public opinion, the film is still pretty damn good.

rt

rt, if you say it's a good movie, I trust you :).  I never really pay attention to box office to decide the movie I want to see.  The only time I actually tracked box office was for BBM.  Just felt that is an interesting article, particular with the poll information.

Between United 93 and MI3, I think I probably will watch United 93 if I can somehow manage to see the movie with my husband, unless someone offers to baby sit :).

Edit:

Since part of MI3 was shot in China, I am not sure if I should feel intrigued or dreadful to see the movie.  Most of Hollywood movies portrait China in a way that I honestly don’t recognize.  The way people talk, dress, and act in the movie look phony to me.  I hope MI3 breaks that stereotype I have.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:52:20 am by JennyC »

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2006, 09:00:24 pm »
Don't let that box office report stop you from seeing a terrific action film -- since when is $48 million such a disappointment?  Of course, this cutthroat business did the same thing when King Kong's opening fell slightly below expectations. 

rt

I agree. I went to see it with my son tonight, and apart from one scene of exposition (hey! Look! I'm here to tell you what's going on!) I thought it was edge-of-the-seat exciting. I don't like Cruise, but that doesn't stop him being a terrific actor, and this was Cruise at his best. I won't bother to buy the DVD, but it was a great evening's entertainment.
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

rtprod

« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2006, 01:28:52 pm »
I agree. I went to see it with my son tonight, and apart from one scene of exposition (hey! Look! I'm here to tell you what's going on!) I thought it was edge-of-the-seat exciting. I don't like Cruise, but that doesn't stop him being a terrific actor, and this was Cruise at his best. I won't bother to buy the DVD, but it was a great evening's entertainment.

Wow, great -- so glad that you enjoyed it.  I guess we've seen it all as CGI action goes, but this one really kept me up and excited with a lack of computer effects and just good, old-fashioned stunts, choppers and guns!

Posiedon, on the other hand....  Ugh (read: yuck).   >:(

rt
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:15:44 am by rtprod »

TJ

« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:08 pm »
While was a regular viewer of the TV series, "Mission Impossible," and a fan of the show, too. There is no way that I am going to spend money see any movie where Tom Cruise is the star. Yes, he is a good actor; but, he is stupid and belongs to a pseudo-religion created by a science fiction writer.

I have talked to several people who had been members of Scientology and they told me how money could give one high ranking status in the cult.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2006, 12:01:45 am »
I looked beyond Tom Cruise the weirdo and saw Ethan the character, which was played well, and I must say I really enjoyed the film. I hesitated about seeing it but I'm glad I went. It had some nice, touching scenes and some terrifically acted moments from Cruise. The plot keeps your attention and the characters are interesting. I won't say much else 'cause I don't wanna spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. I would have liked to have seen more of Phillip S. H.'s character, but overall I was very entertained and I recommend it.