Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220949 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Music News
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2016, 10:14:25 pm »
Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen has died aged 82,

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2016, 11:41:30 pm »
May he rest in peace.  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:52 pm »
Leonard Cohen has died, aged 82.

And I just read the profile of him in The New Yorker. Until I read that, I knew nothing about him except that he wrote the song Hallelujah.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2016, 10:12:23 am »
There was a salute to Leonard Cohen on the Today show this morning. It featured tweets from two Justins (Trudeau and Timberlake), and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2017, 11:11:58 am »

Walter Becker, Steely Dan Co-Founder, Dead at 67

By Daniel Kreps

Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band Steely Dan, died Sunday at the age of 67.

Becker's official site announced the death; no cause of death or other details were provided.

"Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967," Donald Fagen wrote in a tribute to Becker. "He was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny."

Becker missed Steely Dan's Classic East and West concerts in July as he recovered from an unspecified ailment. "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon," Fagen told Billboard at the time. Becker's doctor advised the guitarist not to leave his Maui home for the performances.

Becker and Fagen first became collaborators when they were both students at New York's Bard College. After working as songwriters (Barbra Streisand's "I Mean to Shine") and members of Jay and the Americans' backing band, the duo moved to California in the early Seventies to form Steely Dan – named after a sex toy in William S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch – alongside guitarists Jeff "Skunk" Baxter and Denny Dias, drummer Jim Hodder and singer David Palmer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

In their time together,  Steely Dan put 10 singles into the Billboard Top 40 chart.

"Rikki Don't Lose That Number"  #4

"Do It Again" #6

"Hey Nineteen" #10

"Reeling in the Years" #11

"Peg" #11

"Deacon Blues" #19

"Time Out of Mind" #22

"FM (No Static at All)" #22

"Josie" #26

"Black Friday" #37

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2017, 11:36:05 am »
I always wondered where they got the name!  :o
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »

Country star Troy Gentry killed in helicopter crash

POSTED 3:13 PM, SEPTEMBER 8, 2017, BY AP AND WREG STAFF,

Troy Gentry of country music group Montgomery Gentry was killed in a helicopter crash in New Jersey on Friday.

He was 50 years old.

Montgomery Gentry’s official website says Troy Gentry, half of the country duo, died in a New Jersey helicopter crash.

The duo was scheduled to perform Friday night at the Flying W Airport & Resort in Medford, the website states.

The pilot declared an emergency and was trying to land when the crash happened about 1:30.

Gentry was born on April 5, 1967 in Lexington, Kentucky, where he met bandmate Eddie Montgomery and formed a group based off their last names.   Gentry is on the right in the pic below.

Montgomery Gentry was a country super group, and they scored 26 Top 40 country songs, 16 of them peaking in the Top 10 or hitting #1.

"Oughta Be More Songs About That"  - #40

"Merry Christmas From The Family"  - #38

"Daddy Won't Sell The Farm"  - #35

"While You're Still Young"  - #32

"Self Made Man"  - #31

"All Night Long"  - #31

"Cold One Comin' On"  - #23

"Line of Losers"  - #23

"You Do Your Thing"  - #21

"Hillbilly Shoes"  - #13

"Where I Come From" -  #8

"Some People Change"  - #7

"Lonely & Gone" -  #5

"My Town"  - #5

"Speed" -  #5

"She Don't Tell Me To" - #5

"One In Every Crowd" - #5

"Hell Yeah" - #4

"Gone"  - #3

"What Do You Think About That"  - #3

"She Couldn't Change Me"  - #2

"If You Ever Stop Loving Me"  #1

"Something To Be Proud Of"  - #1

"Lucky Man"  - #1

"Back When I Knew It All"  -#1

"Roll With Me" - #1

http://wreg.com/2017/09/08/country-star-troy-gentry-killed-in-helicopter-crash/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2017, 08:01:15 pm »

Thomas Earl Petty (October 20, 1950 – October 2, 2017) was an American musician, singer, songwriter, multi instrumentalist and record producer. He was best known as the lead singer of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but was also a member and co-founder of the late 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys, and his early band Mudcrutch.

Petty recorded a number of hit singles with the Heartbreakers and as a solo artist, many of which are mainstays on adult contemporary and classic rock radio. His music has been classified as rock and roll, heartland rock, and even stoner rock. His music has become popular among younger generations.  In his career, Petty sold more than 80 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.  In 2002, Petty was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Petty suffered cardiac arrest early in the morning of October 2, 2017 and died at 8:40 p.m. PDT at a hospital in Santa Monica, California.  He was 66 years old.

Billboard Top 40 hits as Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:

I Need To Know  - #40

Breakdown - #40

Learning To Fly - #28

Change of Heart - #21

You Got Lucky - #20

The Waiting - #19

Jamming Me - #18

Refugee - #15

Mary Jane's Last Dance - #14

Don't Come Around Here No More - #13

Don't Do Me Like That - #10

Billboard solo hits/Tom Petty:

Needles & Pins - #37

Running Down A Dream - #23

You Don't Know How It Feels - #13

I Won't Back Down - #12

Free Fallin' - #7

The Traveling Wilburys had no Billboard Top 40 hits.   They released three albums, with combined  sales of almost 5 million copies in the US.   Petty also  had a hit duet with Stevie Nicks.

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around -  #3   Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

Offline Corax

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:08 am »
He was a great musician. I like his songs very much. R.I.P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »

Antoine "Fats" Domino, Jr. (February 26, 1928 – October 24, 2017) was an American pianist and singer-songwriter of Louisiana Creole descent. He had 22 records in the U.S. Billboard Top 40, and five of his pre-1955 records sold more than a million copies, being certified gold.  During 1955 to 1960, he had eleven top 10 hits and his record sales were reportedly surpassed only by Elvis Presley.  During his career, Domino sold over 65 million records.  His musical style was based on traditional rhythm and blues, accompanied by saxophones, bass, piano, electric guitar, and drums.

In 1986 he was one of the first musicians to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  He also received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award that year.   In the 1980s, Domino decided he would no longer leave New Orleans, having a comfortable income from royalty payments and a dislike of touring and claiming he could not get any food that he liked anywhere else.  Neither the Hall of Fame induction or the invitation to perform at the White House persuaded him to make an exception to this policy.

Billboard Top 40 hits of Fats Domino:

Natural Born Lover  - #38

Red Sails in the Sunset - #35

Ain't That Just Like A Woman - #33

I've Been Around - #33

Fell In Love on Monday - #32

Shu Rah - #32

Jambalaya (On The Bayou) - #30

Country Boy - #25

It Keeps Raining  - #23

What A Party - #22

What A Price - #22

You Win Again - #22

Don't Come Knockin'  - #21

I'm Gonna Be A Wheel  Someday  - #17

I'm Ready  - #16

Let The Four Winds Blow - #15

Three Nights A Week - #15

My Girl Josephine - #14

I Want To Walk You Home - #8

Be My Guest - #8

Walking To New Orleans - #6

Whole Lotta Loving - #6