Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220920 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Music News
« Reply #300 on: January 14, 2022, 08:18:37 pm »
Rosa Lee Hawkins - Singer for The Dixie Cups - Has Died

Rosa Lee Hawkins founded the Dixie Cups along with her sister, Barbara Ann Hawkins, and their cousin, Joan Marie Johnson in their hometown of New Orleans. They had been singing together since childhood, first singing together in grade school.  Originally, they were to be called Little Miss and the Muffets, but were renamed the Dixie Cups just prior to their first release.

Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 singles of The Dixie Cups.

Year              Song Title                       Peak Position on Billboard Top 40 Chart

1964  -                "Chapel Of Love"                                                      #1
1964  -                "People Say"                                                          #12
1964  -                "You Should've Seen the Way He Looked At Me"        #39
1965  -                "Iko Iko"                                                                #20
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 01:21:51 am by CellarDweller »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2022, 09:27:18 pm »
Wow, how will we commemorate all these fallen heroes of the music world?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2022, 07:35:59 am »
Rock Star Meat Loaf Has Died

Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday; September 27, 1947 ? January 20, 2022), better known as Meat Loaf, was an American singer and actor. He was noted for his powerful, wide-ranging voice and theatrical live shows. His Bat Out of Hell trilogy;Bat Out of Hell, Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell, and Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose has sold more than 65 million albums worldwide.  More than four decades after its release, the first album still sells an estimated 200,000 copies annually and stayed on the charts for over nine years, making it one of the best-selling albums in history.

Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 singles of Meat Loaf.

Year              Song Title                       Peak Position on Billboard Top 40 Chart

1977  -                "You Took The Word Right Out of My Mouth"                #39
1978  -                "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad"                                      #12
1978  -                "Paradise By The Dashboard Lights"                            #39
1993  -                "I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Wont Do That)"          #1
1994 -                 "Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through"                          #13
1995 -                 "I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)"                       #13
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:37:00 pm by CellarDweller »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2022, 12:28:58 pm »
Very sad news.  I was a big fan.  My brother and I had the original Bat Out of Hell album in '77. 

I remember when he was the musical guest on SNL.  He was introduced by Christopher Lee (?):  "I would like you to Meet....Loaf."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2022, 01:56:13 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

:'(

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2022, 03:44:51 pm »
Joni Mitchell makes emotional return to the stage at MusiCares pre-Grammys tribute

By Melissa Ruggieri - 04/02/22

A few years ago, Joni Mitchell couldn't walk or talk, walloped by a brain aneurysm that damaged her motor skills.

On Friday night, Mitchell, 78, her blue eyes twinkling, leaned into Brandi Carlile's gold microphone and joyfully sang along to "Big Yellow Taxi." Surrounded by Carlile, Jon Batiste, Yola, Lauren Daigle and several other performers who had feted the lauded Canadian songstress as the MusiCares Person of the Year, Mitchell basked in the music with an easy smile, her omnipresent physical therapist ? who also joined in the singalong ? by her side.

Mitchell's participation on her 1970 hit that weaved environmentalism and politics into frisky guitar strums was a celebratory moment inside the pre-Grammy Awards event at the MGM Grand, experienced by an audience that had dwindled as the show stretched more than three hours. 

But those who remained were rewarded with this piece of musical magic, as well as hearing Mitchell share in a few lines of "The Circle Game."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/04/02/joni-mitchell-stage-songstress-performs-years-after-aneurysm/7254644001/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2022, 10:17:04 am »
Wow! I'll check this out! Thank you, friend!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2022, 09:14:08 am »
Bobby Rydell has died. He was 79.

Another product of South Philly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Rydell

I didn't know he was in Bye-Bye Birdie. I've never seen it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2022, 07:06:52 pm »
Found out that Hauser works as well for Easter as it does for New Year's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91kQyy4G7E

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2022, 09:08:07 pm »
Madonna to Release "Finally Enough Love", Two Career-Spanning Remix Collections

By Jem Aswad

Madonna recently became the first artist to top Billboard's Dance Club Songs chart for the 50th time, making her the first and only recording artist to have 50 No. 1 hits on any single Billboard chart.

She is commemorating the event in characteristically outsized fashion with two new compilations: "Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones", a new 50-track collection that includes her favorite remixes of her dance hits, and an abridged 16-track version, simply titled "Finally Enough Love". The full tracklists appear below.

The collections mark the first album releases to be part of the newly announced partnership between Madonna and Warner Music Group, which will feature an extensive series of catalog releases across her career.

"50 Number Ones"clocks in at 220 minutes and includes dozens of remixes by top producers, including Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, Honey Dijon, and Avicii, along with rarities, with more than 20 being officially released for the first time or making their commercial/digital debut. Each remix was newly remastered for the collection by Mike Dean, who produced Madonna?s two most-recent studio albums, "Rebel Heart" and "Madame X".

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/madonna-finally-enough-love-remix-1235257750/