Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772407 times)

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #6110 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:21 pm »
This might to completely uninteresting to anyone but me, but I'm still going to mention it.  :P Last semester I took a Voice and Movement For The Stage class. (I'm a huge theatre geek, but I do tech and stage management, nothing on stage. Usually.) The movement part was all about the Alexander Technique, which I had vaguely heard of before but didn't know what it was. After learning more about it, I started thinking that Heath might have studied it. A few months ago I seriously almost came here to ask if anyone had ever heard anything about Heath and the Alexander Technique but figured no one would have heard of it. Then I was reading the TDK Spoilers Welcome thread and came across this bit of a thing written by an Imaginarium extra.

It was common knowledge on set that he had a spinal injury and that he was on some hefty medication for it. Late in the day, with shooting behind schedule, Heath's back was playing up. He lay prostrate on the cobbles between the pub and the Imaginarium doing his Alexander Technique exercises, motionless, his eyes shut tight.

(It's on the third page of that thread if you want to read the whole thing.)

Of course who knows how much the extra knew about Heath, but there is an exercise called a Lie-Down in the Alexander Technique which involves lying on your back on the floor. (It makes you feel great if you do it right. :))

So now I ask: Has anyone ever heard anything about Heath studying the Alexander Technique? 

If you're interested in learning more about it (personally, I find it fascinating), Wikipedia has a pretty good discription of the basics here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_technique.

Sorry if this was boring and pointless to you guys! Here's a couple pics to make it more worthwhile for you.  ;D

Offline optom3

« Reply #6111 on: August 07, 2008, 06:51:20 pm »
This might to completely uninteresting to anyone but me, but I'm still going to mention it.  :P Last semester I took a Voice and Movement For The Stage class. (I'm a huge theatre geek, but I do tech and stage management, nothing on stage. Usually.) The movement part was all about the Alexander Technique, which I had vaguely heard of before but didn't know what it was. After learning more about it, I started thinking that Heath might have studied it. A few months ago I seriously almost came here to ask if anyone had ever heard anything about Heath and the Alexander Technique but figured no one would have heard of it. Then I was reading the TDK Spoilers Welcome thread and came across this bit of a thing written by an Imaginarium extra.

(It's on the third page of that thread if you want to read the whole thing.)

Of course who knows how much the extra knew about Heath, but there is an exercise called a Lie-Down in the Alexander Technique which involves lying on your back on the floor. (It makes you feel great if you do it right. :))

So now I ask: Has anyone ever heard anything about Heath studying the Alexander Technique? 

If you're interested in learning more about it (personally, I find it fascinating), Wikipedia has a pretty good discription of the basics here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_technique.

Sorry if this was boring and pointless to you guys! Here's a couple pics to make it more worthwhile for you.  ;D

I had read somewhere about Heath and the alexander technique, I guess it must have been in the same article, so it did not bore me.Anything even vaguely connected to Heath is always interesting.Also have not seen either of those 2 pics before so double treat !!!!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6112 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:22 pm »
Merci cmr107, for that lovely rare pic of Heath in that chair !

I had never seen than one !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6113 on: August 07, 2008, 08:37:21 pm »
I love that pic of him sitting down. He seemed to be chillin' in that picture.
Say, you guys, what is the Alexander laying down technique? I keep reading something about Heath doing that technique.

Btw, cmr, I'm glad you LOVED TDK! :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6114 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:28 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

I'll be away over the weekend, so my next daily Heath pic will come on Monday. I'll leave you for the WE with a classic BBM picture:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6115 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07:40 am »
Chrissi, thank you!  :-*

see you tonight.  :D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline carolina

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • it could be like this. just like this. always.
« Reply #6116 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:19 am »
^ Oh my goodness, I'll never tire of the dozy embrace.  Favorite BBM picture everrrrr.

P.S. I looove Heath's hands, seriously, I appreciate a good set of hands and he has 'em.  The picture highlights that feature... Okay, I'll stop now.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6117 on: August 08, 2008, 02:36:12 am »
HEATH LEDGER TALKS ABOUT THE ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, December 2006

"I really like to look into the physical acting characteristics of my character, because it helps me to transform."
— Heath Ledger

INFLUENCING LEDGER
Heath Ledger, 27, is a transformer. With his acting coach, the "Candy" star studies the Alexander Technique, which helps him burrow into roles like gay cowboys and drug addicts by focusing on his posture, movement, and presence. "I really like to look into the physical acting characteristics of my character, because it helps me to transform". Here are the three chameleonlike performances that impress him the most.

— George Kirschling,
Entertainment Weekly

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS in My Left Foot (1989)
"It's a remarkable transformation-probably the most remarkable I can think of."

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN in Capote (2005)
"It's less in the way he walks and more in the way he can mold himself."

GARY OLDMAN in Sid and Nancy (1986)
"Wow, that is an amazing performance. I mean so dirty. He really hits bottom."

http://www.alexandertechworks.com/newsupdate.php#heath_ledger

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6118 on: August 08, 2008, 02:40:44 am »
From "HEATH LEDGER'S FINAL DAYS AMONG THE MASSES"
L.A. Art Collective Struggles to Go On After Actor's Death
BY RANDALL ROBERTS
Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - 8:00 pm

“He filmed himself constantly, from every angle possible,” Amato says, “making faces, learning how he looked from different angles. He practiced a lot of shit on me because I was his video-chat buddy when he was making his coffee at work. He probably did the Alexander technique [a movement method for removing physical and mental stress] a dozen times in front of my face on video chat, where he would morph into the Joker.”

http://www.laweekly.com/film+tv/film/heath-ledgers-final-days-among-the-masses/19241/?page=4

-------------

From "Sienna Miller: a sense of theatre"
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 07/06/2008

From the outside, Miller has had it relatively easy, but there were early cracks. Born in New York in 1981 to Ed, a handsome and charismatic investment banker from Pennsylvania, and Josephine, a South African-born former model and PA for David Bowie, she moved to Chelsea when she was 18 months old. Weekends were spent riding horses and running amok at her godmother's farmhouse in Wiltshire. Her mother ran the Lee Strasberg Institute in London and later taught yoga and the Alexander Technique.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/06/07/nosplit/sm_siennamiller07.xml

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6119 on: August 08, 2008, 02:44:47 am »
My fearless Heath — Candy producer Emile Sherman's exclusive review of The Dark Knight
Walking into the theatre to see The Dark Knight, I felt so sad, fearful of being reminded of a life cut short so randomly. It's a tragedy not to have Heath Ledger any more. He was a wonderful actor, father and most of all a sensitive human being and a good guy.

But a joy crept in as I watched the film, to be able to see Heath again in the flesh, albeit a celluloid flesh, and to be mesmerised by not only his profound acting ability but also to enjoy the small movements of his face and his body. I realised how fortunate we are to have a part of Heath captured forever, in his many guises, on film.

Heath's Joker will surely go down as one of the great villain performances. It’s not just the voice, the flick of the tongue or the makeup — which in the hands of a lesser actor carried the risk of being far from convincing — it's that there is no trace of empathy, of humanity, left in those eyes.

But what I love about Heath, in all his performances, is the way he put his body to use. He once lectured me on the virtues of the Alexander Technique and how it changed his life, giving him control over his body and freeing it from history and custom. Whilst other actors, particularly movie stars, focus on their face, Heath inhabited his characters with his entire body. The Joker has a looseness, a casualness that Heath seemed to prefer to the more classic rigidness of the stereotypical strong man. Combined with his command of his face and the messiness of the makeup, it all adds up to a Joker as the "villain of chaos", and chaos as pleasure.

I'd worked with Heath Ledger on the film Candy, an Australian film about two junkies (played by Heath and Abbie Cornish), hopelessly in love with each other and with heroin. Candy was the last in a gruelling schedule of films that Heath had shot back to back.

He was tired when he arrived in Sydney for the two-month stint but with what strength he had left he worked to find within himself the character of Dan, a young man caught in a spiral of addiction with only his love for his girlfriend Candy and an endearing optimism to keep him sane. It was clear from the first day’s rushes that the audience was not going to be able to take its eyes off Heath.

I only had a peripheral friendship with Heath. After Candy, when he was back in New York, we'd share some late-night calls whilst our babies were awake at night, discussing birthing techniques and fatherhood. Heath truly understood the miracle and felt every part of it intensely.

It is this intensity and emotional, artistic sensitivity to the world that remains my ongoing remembrance of Heath. I cannot imagine what it would have been like for him to create the character of the Joker, a man who lives by no rules or ethos except to undo. To find that within oneself is beyond most of us. I imagine it takes a rare fearlessness in facing the truth, which is the way Heath approached himself as well as the world at large.

http://grazia.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=597716