Author Topic: Money-saving tips!  (Read 42472 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Money-saving tips!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 12:13:31 am »
Loose change.

Are you sick and tired of finding loose change down in your sofa, on your floor or in your pants pockets?

Put it in a jar!  :D

Get in the habit of putting it into a jar each night. You'll be amazed how fast it adds up! I collect about $50.00 in loose change every month in my jar. Then at the end of the month I roll it up and take it to the bank and deposit it in a savings account. I have been doing this for about a year now, and I have over $750.00 dollars in there.

Who knows? Maybe I'll use that to pay for my trip to Wyoming next year!  :D

Loose change.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:09:03 pm »
Don't leave lights burning after you leave a room. Shut them off. If you need a little light in a room or hallway, invest in a small night light so you can see around you as you walk through them. Leaving large overhead lights or lamps with high wattage bulbs burning will seriously increase your electric bill and it's terrible for the environment. Shut them off when you're not using them!  :D

And don't use your credit cards and debit cards for small purchases! Use cash instead when you buy a bottle of Coke at the filling station or a candy bar at the convenience store. I can't believe it when I see people charging a $1.00 candy bar of bottle of coke. I always keep a small amount of cash in my wallet for smaller purchases. I try to never use my charge cards for anything under $20.00 unless it's unavoidable.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 11:16:36 pm »
And don't use your credit cards and debit cards for small purchases! Use cash instead when you buy a bottle of Coke at the filling station or a candy bar at the convenience store. I can't believe it when I see people charging a $1.00 candy bar of bottle of coke. I always keep a small amount of cash in my wallet for smaller purchases. I try to never use my charge cards for anything under $20.00 unless it's unavoidable.

Is there an extra charge to use a debit card?  ???

I read that even when your phone/camera/whatever is not being charged, the charger is using electricity if it's plugged in. I used to leave my phone charger plugged in, but I've been unplugging it since I read that. I wonder if it's true?

I put my change in a jar, too, David! I had $105.00 last time--but that was a 6 month save-up. Still---even pennies add up that way!  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 01:18:34 am »
Is there an extra charge to use a debit card?  ???

I read that even when your phone/camera/whatever is not being charged, the charger is using electricity if it's plugged in. I used to leave my phone charger plugged in, but I've been unplugging it since I read that. I wonder if it's true?

I put my change in a jar, too, David! I had $105.00 last time--but that was a 6 month save-up. Still---even pennies add up that way!  ;)

My bank charges me if I use my debit card at stores! Maybe I should be banking somewhere else! They are only small miscellaneous charges but they add up fast!

I read the average American receives 85 cents a day in change. This is assuming they are not charging candy bars on their Visa and Mastercard! 85 cents X 30 days is $25.50 each month! That's over $300.00 per year! Do this for 3 years, and that's almost $1000.00 dollars!  :D

For some reason I always end up with quite a bit of pocket change each day. It's probably because I'm always buying small items every day; things like those "Big Gulps" at Speedway and candy bars at Walgreen's!  ;)  :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 03:50:35 am »

Who knows? Maybe I'll use that to pay for my trip to Wyoming next year!  :D

Loose change.  :)

oooh! Good idea!

Hmm, certainly my card doesn't charge me for making payments on my card - unless its my credit card & its interest but I don't use that very much.

A good tip for those in the UK - is top open a Nationwide account- I'm about to open one ready for my holiday. NBAtionwide doesn't chage you for withdrawing money abroad- the only card in the UK to do this - which means you get a great exchange rate - and you can withdraw money as you please rather than withdrawing large amounts as you don't want lots of fees.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 05:18:09 pm »
And don't use your credit cards and debit cards for small purchases! Use cash instead when you buy a bottle of Coke at the filling station or a candy bar at the convenience store. I can't believe it when I see people charging a $1.00 candy bar of bottle of coke. I always keep a small amount of cash in my wallet for smaller purchases. I try to never use my charge cards for anything under $20.00 unless it's unavoidable.

Is there an extra charge to use a debit card? 

The VISA, MasterCard and AmEx Corporations get their own "swipe" (transaction fee) with everything you charge.

The ads encouraging folks to charge small purchases (implying that cash is inconvenient) make me sick.  It drives prices up everywhere and hurts small independent businesses.  Those fees go straight to the corporations and banks, people!

I'm told that ATM/debit is less costly all around than credit, so use that if you need to charge.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:57:27 pm »
David, some good tips. Most people cannot believe how low my electric bill is. Last year during the California heat wave I heard my jerk neighbors bragging to each other about their over $300 and $500 electric bills. Of coarse they have pools and hot tubs. No thanks. My bill was only $67. I thought that was something to brag about and I do use AC. I have a newer efficient unit. I'm conscience about conserving though.

And I agree about the cash. I do not pay bills on line but I don't write checks in stores anymore except my regular weekly grocery shopping. Everything else is cash.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 05:18:43 pm »
Wishes, I wish I had your willpower and resilience!

Id say I'm better with money than most but i need to SAVE!!!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:34 pm »
Hi Kelda, It's not always easy to save. I have to put my mind to it. I've been doing well the last year. I wish though that I had saved money sooner when I was younger. Gone to college at a younger age etc. But I know I am better off than many. I don't live pay check to pay check. But I've been there before.

One thing I have found too, at my age, I just don't need anything really any more. I need my books, movies (Amazon shopper here) and my crafting supplies. All which are not big ticket items thank goodness.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 03:52:55 am »
See, I love my travel - thats my hobby - so that can be expensive!

I'm pretty good at card tarting when my 0% interest time period comes up (Thats a good tip in itself - be a card tart - always use a card that gives an introductory offer of 0% on balance transfers &/or purchases and when that introductory is about to finish - look for another one to move it on to - so you never pay interest. 6 weeks before is sufficient time.) - and my card are only to buy things like insurance (rather than paying more by paying monthly) and I bought my kitchn and put it on my 0% interest card and am slowly paying that off.

But I just got a payrise so I've convinced myself I will begin to save for any unexpected things that come up and for a little saving pool too.

It's harder said than done though isn't it!?

I'm 25 though and have a REALLY good penison through my work (as I work for the government) - so I'm organised in thsat sense - and if I begin to save now then thats got to be a bonus - I've also had a mortage for 4 years already so only 21 years and my house will be paid off - thats gotta be good right!?

(I'm trying to convonce myself here!!!)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:41:14 am by Kelda »