Author Topic: How do you like to spend your evenings at home?  (Read 44931 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: How do you like to spend your evenings at home?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:08 am »
Do you know Elle, that sounds quite blissful - sounds nice.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:44:39 pm »
I spend my evenings de-stressing from my hectic and stressful work day (I'm a legal secretary) with my 3 dogs and 2 cats.  I spend my evenings doing things with my dogs - either training them or walking them.  I also attend dog training classes a couple nights a week, I also do yard work or laundry sometimes.  Sometimes I bring one of the dogs on a therapy visit, as my 3 dogs are all registered therapy dogs.  Then I always check my e-mail, and come here and to IMDB to see what everybody's up to.  I don't live a very exciting life I guess! 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »
its nice to have un-exciting evening life!

Tell us more about your therapy dogs- sounds interesting. ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:06 pm »

I'm guessing this means an average evening when one is veg'ing-out at home, rather than when one is visiting friends or eating out?

If that's the case, my usual routine is pretty predictable:

* Unpack my work bag

* Read my snail mail (mostly window-face!)

* Wash

* Light a candle

* Meditate

* Change into casual clothes

* Prepare and cook my evening meal

* Watch the 7 o'clock television news as I eat (clear up when the sports news is on)

* Watch television and/or chat on the phone

* Usually turn off the television at about 9.30

* If I've had an idea for a cartoon during the day, I'll draw a cartoon

* Respond to my e-mail

* Log-onto BetterMost for an hour or so before I retire (approx. 8-10am east coast USA time)

* Change into my PJs and brush teeth

* Lights out usually around midnight

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:42 pm »
I don't have a routine!!

:P

**pouts**

The only thing that happens for sure is the dogs and cats get fed (sometime between 7 and 10:30 pm depending on the other events of the day).  (The dogs also get an evening outing to pee.)

Lately a very routine thing is that I go to sleep on the left hand side of the bed, and by morning the Pekingnese has pushed me over to the right hand side of the bed!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 10:13:54 pm »
I don't have a routine!!

:P

**pouts**

The only thing that happens for sure is the dogs and cats get fed (sometime between 7 and 10:30 pm depending on the other events of the day).  (The dogs also get an evening outing to pee.)

Lately a very routine thing is that I go to sleep on the left hand side of the bed, and by morning the Pekingnese has pushed me over to the right hand side of the bed!

Aww, I looove Pekingese doggies! Pomeranians, too!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
I tend to just like to have quiet evenings at home. It seems that when I get home from work I can get quite lazy. I deal with a lot of people at work with more than their share of computer problems that I have to fix for them. I tend to be a bit of a loner anyway so I am quite grateful to get home and away from people. Since I have been going to school many evenings are taken up with homework. A lot of times though I get sidetracked and do other things on the Internet. It seems that Bettermost is getting more and more of my time. I do have several television shows that I like to watch such as Amazing Race, Survivor, Cold Case, Two and A Half Men, Ghost Whisperer and some others. My 15 pound black cat, Code, also takes up a lot of my time. He likes to be fed, have treats and play. I normally go to bed pretty early since I have to get up at 5am to get ready for another days work.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »
Hi Kelda and everyone!  Happy Labor Day to all!  Presently I have 3 dogs:

Demi the Doberman, and Crusher & Murphy the Basset Hounds.  I take one dog at a time on visits to nursing homes and visits with children, mostly on weekends when I am not working.  I belong to our local therapy dog group, Space Coast Therapy Dogs, and we have regularly scheduled monthly visits at various nursing homes, hospitals and schools.  Demi absolutely adores children and the smaller kids' faces are even with hers, so she can give them lots of kisses.  We go to one place on the 2nd Saturday of the month to a home for abused and abandoned children.  There are about 13 children there at a time, and they range in age from under a year old to about 10 or 11 years old.  They are very needy and cling to us and to the dogs when we visit.  They love to walk the dogs, and run with the dogs, groom the dogs, and give them treats.  They talk to the dogs and laugh and smile with them.  It's heartbreaking for us sometimes because the kids do not have their moms and dads around, and some of them are just toddlers at 2 or 3 years old.
 When I bring one of my Bassets to a nursing home, I put them up on a wooden cart on wheels that my ex-husband made for me a few years ago.  Basset Hounds are very low to the ground and the beds in the nursing home are usually hip-high and being on a cart is really the only way that people can see them.  The top of the cart is high enough to be at bed level. The dogs brighten up the lives of the residents, comfort them, and get them talking - sometimes to the dogs, and sometimes to us, when they sometimes haven't spoken to anyone in a long time.  It's very rewarding for us as handlers, and everyone benefits - the patients, us, and the dogs too because they love going to visit people and love all the attention lavished on them.  Dogs are great because they don't care what you look like, don't care if you're mentally challenged or in a wheelchair or in a brace, or have had a stroke and are partially paralyzed or whatever your condition is.  They love everybody for who they are - just because they are human beings.  The dogs seem to know and understand when someone is handicapped in some way and are very patient and steady with the residents.  I've been going on visits with the dogs in my life for over 10 years and really enjoy it! 

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 10:29:44 pm »
Hi Dobie1018.  I think its great you have therapy dogs.  They bring such happiness to a person's otherwise dull life.

Do you live on the East Coast of Florida?  The east coast is considered the Space Coast.  Just an observation.  Im on the west coast, the Nature Coast. 

I have three dogs too.  A pit mix, Candice or Candi or Sweet Pea lol, a Border Collie named Boomer they are working dogs ironically bred for herding sheep.  We rescued him from a very abusive family.   Finally, the only one I've had since a baby. He's papered, my Jake Russell, Coby.  All the dogs get along very well.

Boomer suffered tremendously.   We got him at about 4 months old.  This woman was looking to get the puppy away from her abusive husband..  So we took him without thinking twice.  My God what that poor dog went through.  We handle him with kid gloves.  He's fine now.  Very loving and very protective.  He does not warm up to men easily though, if at all.

They keep us very busy.  We play with them enjoy watching them play with each other.  They are so much fun.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:13:31 pm by brokeback_dev »

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 11:08:59 pm »
here's a good pic of Boomer still under a year old.  We think he's about 14 months old now.