Author Topic: In Plain Sight by Victopet  (Read 75074 times)

Offline victopet

• Don't Say Much
Re: In Plain Sight by Victopet
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 06:18:30 am »
Wow!
I am flattered that you've started a story thread for IPS.

I'm working on the next chapter now. 
One thing you ned to keep in mind that the Amish people -- and Ennis probably more than average -- are sheltered from the mass media.  By choice, they do not watch TV or go to the movies, and many of them don't read English newspapers or magazines -- though some do listen to battery-operated transistor radios for local emergency news.  They get most of their information from their communities -- and in restrictive, ulta-Christian cultures such as this,  their knowledge of sex and related topics is very restricted.  For instance, when a man and woman "court," many times it is done in secret -- and when they announce their engagement, it's supposed to be news  to the community.  Bedroom details are rarely discussed openly.

That said -- of course you're going to have people like Velda.  And there's more to what's going on with Ennis (as we shall see) than just being Amish.  He knows himself better than he thinks.  And he is also able to deny more than he realizes.

Thanks you guys for reading!!

yb

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 06:30:37 am »
Hello, Vic

Great to see you here, and good to hear you're working on the next chapter, hope we don't have to wait long for it.

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 06:38:04 am »
Wow!
I am flattered that you've started a story thread for IPS.

I'm working on the next chapter now. 
One thing you ned to keep in mind that the Amish people -- and Ennis probably more than average -- are sheltered from the mass media.  By choice, they do not watch TV or go to the movies, and many of them don't read English newspapers or magazines -- though some do listen to battery-operated transistor radios for local emergency news.  They get most of their information from their communities -- and in restrictive, ulta-Christian cultures such as this,  their knowledge of sex and related topics is very restricted.  For instance, when a man and woman "court," many times it is done in secret -- and when they announce their engagement, it's supposed to be news  to the community.  Bedroom details are rarely discussed openly.

That said -- of course you're going to have people like Velda.  And there's more to what's going on with Ennis (as we shall see) than just being Amish.  He knows himself better than he thinks.  And he is also able to deny more than he realizes.

Thanks you guys for reading!!

Wow, this is all very intriguing! Thanks for joining us here, Vic and telling us about the story. Can't wait to read the next chapter! This really is one of my favourites out there!

:D

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 01:49:39 pm »
Oh how I hope this will be updated soon!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »
Oh how I hope this will be updated soon!

This is getting spooky, Mel! A couple weeks ago you hoped for CY and it appeared the next day ...and now..... Chapter 16!: :D

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16411.html?view=769307#t769307

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:30:08 am »
This is getting spooky, Mel! A couple weeks ago you hoped for CY and it appeared the next day ...and now..... Chapter 16!: :D

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16411.html?view=769307#t769307

Marie

:o Really? Can't wait to get home and print it!  :P

yb

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58:19 pm »
And another chapter is posted - chapter 17:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16824.html

This chapter features the long-awaited moustache shaving scene, highly erotic and extremely well-written.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:23 pm »
And another chapter is posted - chapter 17:
This chapter features the long-awaited moustache shaving scene, highly erotic and extremely well-written.

Well written, indeed!  There are many things I appreciate about this story, and one of the things I like the most is the author's way of showing Ennis's naivete in such a respectful way.  We always see how smart Ennis is, and how thoughtful, in spite of his inexperience and ignorance of sexual matters. 

I said in my comment that The Education of Ennis del Mar has begun - but it occurs to me that The Education of Jack Twist has also begun!   A great chapter in a great story.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline victopet

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 11:27:28 pm »

I said in my comment that The Education of Ennis del Mar has begun - but it occurs to me that The Education of Jack Twist has also begun!   A great chapter in a great story.

Marie
Yay!
I think, more than anything, what I am setting out to accomplish with this is that both of them have something to learn AND something to teach.  And that neither way is right or wrong.  It just happens to be what you need to do to find your place in the world (and it's not always the place you're born into -- sometimes it takes some searching.)

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:54 am »
Yay!
I think, more than anything, what I am setting out to accomplish with this is that both of them have something to learn AND something to teach.  And that neither way is right or wrong.  It just happens to be what you need to do to find your place in the world (and it's not always the place you're born into -- sometimes it takes some searching.)

I love that about your story (one of the many things I love about it), they are both going to learn the things they need to learn in life to grow as human beings, for themselves and for each other!