Author Topic: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!  (Read 18342 times)

injest

Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:11 pm »
Let's see what we can all remind one another of!

For some reason I was thinking today of back when I was a kid....how much of the tools in the kitchen were metal....and of course we didn't have no stick pans....do ya'll remember soaking the pans while you washed the rest of the dishes and having to scrub them?

Do you remember the first dish washer you ever saw?

and these....ya'll remember these??

Oh they were hard for a seven year old to pop....but we would work on it til we got it!

Tell us about what you remember....about things we have lost...

injest

Re: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
Cloth diapers! Oh god. Does anyone remember them? talk about droopy drawers!! they got soiled there wasnt a question...EVERYBODY knew it...

and those big ol safety pins? I remember rich people had ones that had little pink or blue tops! We just used plain ones. I never poked the baby but I poked my finger a few times. I also remember we thought you were just a lazy spendthrift if you bought those that had the prefold in them! LOL!!!

Anyone still remember how to use a cloth diaper? did you trifold or double?

Remember sloshing that diaper in the tiolet when it got soiled?? I tell you, parents today are SPOILED! LOL!!

Plastic pants! do they even make them anymore? remember for Sunday you had the plastic pants with ruffles! LOL

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:10 pm »
Truman and I were talking about these a couple of days ago...

injest

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:51 pm »
Do you remember that you could (if you had a telephone) pick up the reciever...dial your own number (on a rotary dial!) and hang up real fast ....and your own phone would ring! LOL!

I got a whupping one time for doing that....

injest

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:57:45 pm »

hey! I used to eat those....my dad loved them... :P

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:03:31 pm »
Do you remember that you could (if you had a telephone) pick up the reciever...dial your own number (on a rotary dial!) and hang up real fast ....and your own phone would ring! LOL!

I got a whupping one time for doing that....

We lived out in the country where 2 or 3 families shared a "party line" and when you picked up your phone, you could hear other people talking. When the phone rang, you had to listen to the rings to see whether it was yours or someone else's. Ours was 1 long and 2 shorts or something like that.  By the time I got to be 11 or 12, the country had private lines. YAY.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:11:03 pm »
I was in the sixth grade before we got our first phone but it was a private line!! :laugh:

injest

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:17 pm »
the rumble seat of the station wagon...and no seat belts...you could waller all over the place.

do kids today get the 'stop short' arm anymore? I am 42 and my mother still will throw her arm out in front of me if we have to stop suddenly....see? we DID have safety devices...who needs a seat belt or air bags if you got your momma's arm??

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:38 am »
It's a wonder we lived past childhood, Jess! No seat belts ever--our cars didn't even have them for a long time.  I rode in the back of a pick up--sometimes sitting on the tailgate. And I rode my bike all over the place and played  alone in a wooded area about a half mile from home---climbing trees and walking around--probably near snakes. If something would have happened--no one would've known until it was time for me to come home. I wasn't scared a bit then---now it seems scary. We didn't let my little niece out of our sight---course it's a vastly different world now. We made it tho, didn't we?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:08:44 am »

Ugh!  :P

Do people really eat those things? I thought they just hung them there to encourage people to buy the more expensive stuff.

I tried one once and I couldn't get it down. Clarissa, please tell me you really don't eat those!  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.