Author Topic: Moving.  (Read 4865 times)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Moving.
« on: May 06, 2006, 01:12:43 pm »
Can I say something w/o people getting all mad at me?
There are 40 topics on Chez's front page and 17 of those are topics have been moved to other areas.
Am I the only one really bothered by that fact? I feel like we're losing our sense of community.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
Re: Moving.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 01:15:27 pm »
I understand Sparkle. It's a little weird...

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 01:20:48 pm »
And the "Moved" topics are pushing all proper topics to back pages... *grumble*
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 01:24:01 pm »
Hi Stacey.  I guess, for me, I'm not bothered so much as I would have been a month ago.  Phillip wrote a while back that it is his aim that we spread our wings and consider this entire site our community rather than holding firm to the CT board.  Also, he wrote that he wanted to keep topics in appropriate forums for easier accessibility and reference.  I guess now we will have to 'get out of the bedroom more, and start using the whole house'.  I don't mind the 'furniture' being shifted every now and then if it means a new energy and a greater enjoyment of other 'rooms'.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:29:48 pm »
I haven't kept track like you have, Stacey, but I agree that moving posts around makes it harder to feel connected to the community of CT. It's been hard enough to just keep up with the posts on this board, let alone go to other boards on the forum to see what I have missed from CT members. Now that we have the Anything Goes and Games forums, maybe we can ask to have this community's posts (when they are started here) stay largely here since we're such a tight knit community and like to really know what each other is saying without having to hunt it down?

I think there has been a concern about dividing up the board too much and having that slow down traffic and posting.  

I miss talking to you by the way!

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

vkm91941

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 01:31:41 pm »
As Ray pointed out Philllip did give everyone fair warning, but I'll repost it here now:

from Phillip Brokeback Mountain - The Movie, The Message & Its Impact / Chez Tremblay / Re: Messages on the Move... Starting May 1st  on: April 22, 2006, 01:17:15 pm  
You guys in here are part of a community so it's fine to post that kind of stuff here, although I hope you'll also consider the Our Daily Thoughts forum, where every user on here can start his/her own mini-blog/diary/whatever and post their thoughts on how they are doing and others can offer their encouragement and support.  But you aren't required to do that there.

You are part of the greater BetterMost community now, so every forum here is open and being used by the same folks using this one.  That being said, CT is a vital part of BetterMost as well, so this place will also be here.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:21:08 pm »
The "Moved" messages quickly drop down because they don't get replies.  They are intended mostly to let people know where the post has gone.  A lot of them are going to be quite old messages that are on the move.  After a day or two, I don't see anything wrong with deleting the "Moved" alert since everyone in here would have seen it by then.

The CT regulars are an important part of BetterMost, but remember there are 200+ other users on here as well, many of whom are just arriving shell shocked after the DVD.  I want to make sure they can research the same things we all have done, and finding those kinds of messages in one place is just plain good sense.  As the housekeeping gets done by the mods who are going far back in the message stacks here, they are moving the pertinent threads.  Once the housekeeping is done, I'd be surprised to see more than two moved threads a week anywhere on the system.

Remember, conversational threads and such are not going to be moved.  I am mostly looking at items for the Movie Resources section.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:59:05 pm »
Hi Sparkle, Courtney, and Others who are Uncomfortable with the change,

First, yay that you are saying how you're feeling about it.  if you hadn't spoken up, we wouldn't have known.

Second, we have only been moving threads that directly address a news article about the movie or the effects of the movie.  Those are all going into the Movie Resources Forum, which is a very interesting bunch of threads to browse around in:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=2.0

I just peeked, and most of the threads on the first page are by our own CT folk.

Thirdly, we have started with the oldest threads and are working forward, so that means the ones that are getting moved haven't had any new posts on them recently.

And fourthly, we are also moving polls to the poll section.  If you haven't found that yet, it's fun.  Here it is:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=9.0

Again, most threads there are by our old buds.

The MOVED posts are a courtesy, to inform people where threads are being moved to.  As Phillip said, they will drop down, down, down as other threads bump over them.  And we can delete them in a day or so.

And Ray put it beautifully in describing how this whole big, beautiful place is our new home.  As you explore, you'll find some of your old buds ahead of you to welcome you, and also some wonderful new people not bold enough to come find us in here.

We've found the coffee pot handle, now let's travel a bit more!

Clarissa

TJ

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:56 pm »
I have seen quite a few discussion threads in the various forums groupings which could be merged in the threads with the very same subject title for discussion. I really don't mind having what I post moved and with the suggestion of one of the moderators and the approval of his suggestion by another moderator, I created a subject for discussion on main board and copied the post that brought up the suggestion to the new location. Then the moderator removed what was in the original location and thanked me for reposted an exact copy of the original in a better area.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 01:47:52 am »
TJ, if you want, next time you want one of your threads moved, you could ask a moderator to do it with a quick couple clicks of a button.  We're here to serve...  :)