Author Topic: What do you think of Spanking?  (Read 15056 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: What do you think of Spanking?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 05:22:58 pm »
the P.E.T. model does not imply anything about income level.  It implies that withdrawal of reward (or of positive attention) can be a potent influence on child behavior.

Jeff does bring up an excellent point about age being a factor in being able to apply the method though.  However I disagree that spanking is more suitable for younger children who don't quite grasp logical consequences.  I think it is less suitable.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:28:21 pm »
I voted "for" spanking.    Too many kids today are out of control.        Part of the beauty of the spanking is just the threat of one.     My Mom would say :" You'd better behave or your father will spank you when he gets home".    That was usually enough of a threat t oget us to behave.    LOL  

Oh I have to strongly disagree with you.... You see, the really interesting question is "why are they out of control?" and "is this the child's fault?". And to echo Chrissi, why in the hell is it OK to hit your child, when it's so NOT ok to hit your wife or husband or just anybody on the street?

I vote "No, absolutely NOT!". There are too many parents who take their lifelong frustrations out on their children and so many children are actually being molested by their parents and the line between spanking and abuse is so fine. I would say keep your hands off your child and find a different way to discipline him/her and start finding out why your child is out of control and what your part is in that.

I think spanking is putting the blame of the child's behavior entirely with the child, when the parent is to blame as well. This sets a bad example and burdens the child with feelings of guilt that are destructive for him/her.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »

That Dottie seems to be the norm around here.  Like selling a house.  Lots of lookers, and no

buyers.. I had over 160 people look at my campaign issues poll..only seven people voted...I dont know if

some people dont care about the heavy issues, or if they dont want others to know their opinion for

whatever reason...

This is one of the things that discourages me the most as moderator of this forum. I'm always trying to encourage people to not only cast votes in the polling threads, but to leave comments as well, in order to start a dialogue. I've tracked the traffic in this forum for about 6 months now, and there's a lot of it! Lots of visitors but few contributors.  :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:35 pm »
I got a few spankings when I was little growing up  and I don't feel like I'm warped because of it. No one yelled at me, and I never had bruises or anything---really--it didn't hurt. haha  But I had people who loved me and looked out constantly for my well-being.  I was definitely never abused. I was talked to a lot.  :P

So many kids today get no attention from their parents unless the parents are screaming/cussing at them or hitting them. That is heartbreaking---giving your children a good raising has to be top priority--that doesn't mean giving them everything they want, but giving them everything they need.

Discipline means "teaching" -- what is the best way to teach your child? If you love the child, you won't administer physical or emotional harm. If you need to spat their bottoms, send them to their room, have a sit-down discussion, etc---you should know your child well enough to know what works and what doesn't. Whatever you do, the child should be aware that there are consequences to bad choices on their part, but you have the responsibility to guide them in making wise choices. And that guidance should start at an early age.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 06:23:21 pm »
the P.E.T. model does not imply anything about income level.  It implies that withdrawal of reward (or of positive attention) can be a potent influence on child behavior.

Jeff does bring up an excellent point about age being a factor in being able to apply the method though.  However I disagree that spanking is more suitable for younger children who don't quite grasp logical consequences.  I think it is less suitable.

OK, seriously, does the P.E.T. model address what to do with very young children who get into situations like I did? Spanking is less suitable than--what?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:48 pm »
Oh I have to strongly disagree with you.... You see, the really interesting question is "why are they out of control?" and "is this the child's fault?". And to echo Chrissi, why in the hell is it OK to hit your child, when it's so NOT ok to hit your wife or husband or just anybody on the street?

I vote "No, absolutely NOT!". There are too many parents who take their lifelong frustrations out on their children and so many children are actually being molested by their parents and the line between spanking and abuse is so fine. I would say keep your hands off your child and find a different way to discipline him/her and start finding out why your child is out of control and what your part is in that.

I think spanking is putting the blame of the child's behavior entirely with the child, when the parent is to blame as well. This sets a bad example and burdens the child with feelings of guilt that are destructive for him/her.

I got a few spankings when I was little growing up  and I don't feel like I'm warped because of it. No one yelled at me, and I never had bruises or anything---really--it didn't hurt. haha  But I had people who loved me and looked out constantly for my well-being.  I was definitely never abused. I was talked to a lot.  :P

So many kids today get no attention from their parents unless the parents are screaming/cussing at them or hitting them. That is heartbreaking---giving your children a good raising has to be top priority--that doesn't mean giving them everything they want, but giving them everything they need.

Discipline means "teaching" -- what is the best way to teach your child? If you love the child, you won't administer physical or emotional harm. If you need to spat their bottoms, send them to their room, have a sit-down discussion, etc---you should know your child well enough to know what works and what doesn't. Whatever you do, the child should be aware that there are consequences to bad choices on their part, but you have the responsibility to guide them in making wise choices. And that guidance should start at an early age.

I think both Melissa and Shasta make excellent points. And for the most part I agree with them.

I still feel it should be a right for a parent to swat their children. But it should be a right that is rarely, if ever exercised. In this part of the country people still do swat their children occassionally. But if done in public, these parents are met with very nasty stares from others around them. Times have changed since I was a kid, thank God.

I also fully agree that the behavior of children is the responsibility of the parents. If the child is raised badly, with questionable values, he or she will exhibit a bad behavior. Plain and simple. And it's the parent's fault.

I'll never forget when I was living in Evansville, I was friends with a woman raising her grandson. The boy's name was Stephen. Stephen's parents more or less abandoned him when he was younger. He was an out of control child. One day when I was riding in the car with my friend, and Stephen began kicking the back of the driver's seat with his foot. My friend (I'm leaving out her name for privacy reasons) asked him to stop it several time, but he continued to do so. Finally she pulled the car over to the side of the road, turned around and raised her hand to him. She didn't plan on hitting him, but she did raise her hand. Stephen immediately said "If you hit me, I'll call that child abuse number when we get back to the house and have you arrested!" My friend asked Stephen where he planned on living after she was in jail and he answered "I'll move in with David!" I thought to myself "Oh, the HELL you will!" There was NO WAY that ill behaved, out of control 12 year old would EVER live with me! But you see, kids these days are now smart to the idea that if they are disciplined in any manner they find objectionable, they can pick up a phone and call a number. And they sometimes use this as leverage against the parent. I've seen it firsthand!

So what happens how? Somehow things in this country have swung a full 180 and instead of parents controlling their children, the children are controlling the parents with threats!   :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 07:22:13 pm »

I got spanked for something like that once. I wasn't even in school yet. I climbed up on a chair in the kitchen to go after something I saw on shelf in the cupboard, the package of yummy, orange-tasting chewing gum--which actually was a sore-throat remedy called Aspergum (do they still make that stuff?). That probably wouldn't have killed me, but after that spanking, did I ever go after something like that again? Hell, no.

I had a similar experience Jeff. My Grandmother kept a yummy tasting, marshmallow flavored liquid in a bottle on top of her toilet tank. The first thing I would do when we arrived at grandma's house was to run up the stairs and into the bathroom to drink some of it. One day my mother caught me doing it and she swatted me within an inch of my life. Then it was dad's turn. Then I got a long lecture from my grandmother. I still don't know what that stuff was, but I never touched it again after that day.

I was always eating and drinking things I shouldn't. Mom stopped buying me crayons because I would eat them. I was always disappointed to find out the purple crayons didn't taste like grapes and the yellow ones didn't taste like lemons. I ate paste in school too. Lots of it. And I often sucked the sugar coating off those One A Day vitamins. Once, I went through a half a bottle of them. I didn't swallow them. I'd just suck off the sugar coating and then spit them out. I also remember eating half of my mother's lip stick! I got in BIG TROUBLE for that!  :laugh:

And I got swatted each and every time I did something like this. After I got punished, I would stop eating that one particular item I was being punished for, but I always found something new and different to try. I was a weird kid, I guess.  ;)  :D

injest

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 07:29:32 pm »

Do you remember "Tough Love"? It was a fad that went around back in the eighties I believe...they had books and videos and were featured on all the talk shows. They advocated taking no flack from kids and throwing them out on the street if they misbehaved...

Well, I was flipping through the book one day. One of the founders was discussing his twelve year old daughter. They went into counseling and it came out that he was molesting her nightly. "But that is NOT an excuse for her to be disrespectful to me or not obey me"

OY!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:53 pm »
"I'll move in with David!"     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I bet you could have had him lined out in a couple a weeks!!  :P 
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 07:32:29 pm »
I think both Melissa and Shasta make excellent points. And for the most part I agree with them.

I still feel it should be a right for a parent to swat their children. But it should be a right that is rarely, if ever exercised. In this part of the country people still do swat their children occassionally. But if done in public, these parents are met with very nasty stares from others around them. Times have changed since I was a kid, thank God.

I also fully agree that the behavior of children is the responsibility of the parents. If the child is raised badly, with questionable values, he or she will exhibit a bad behavior. Plain and simple. And it's the parent's fault.

I'll never forget when I was living in Evansville, I was friends with a woman raising her grandson. The boy's name was Stephen. Stephen's parents more or less abandoned him when he was younger. He was an out of control child. One day when I was riding in the car with my friend, and Stephen began kicking the back of the driver's seat with his foot. My friend (I'm leaving out her name for privacy reasons) asked him to stop it several time, but he continued to do so. Finally she pulled the car over to the side of the road, turned around and raised her hand to him. She didn't plan on hitting him, but she did raise her hand. Stephen immediately said "If you hit me, I'll call that child abuse number when we get back to the house and have you arrested!" My friend asked Stephen where he planned on living after she was in jail and he answered "I'll move in with David!" I thought to myself "Oh, the HELL you will!" There was NO WAY that ill behaved, out of control 12 year old would EVER live with me! But you see, kids these days are now smart to the idea that if they are disciplined in any manner they find objectionable, they can pick up a phone and call a number. And they sometimes use this as leverage against the parent. I've seen it firsthand!

So what happens how? Somehow things in this country have swung a full 180 and instead of parents controlling their children, the children are controlling the parents with threats!   :(

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You call his bluff! Tell him to feel free to call the number....he might enjoy being in foster care! Even if by some chance the authorities DO come out...all they will do is take a report and go on....

the threat is more mental then real. I have called child services before...trust me it is not easy to get them involved!