Author Topic: Useless Factoids  (Read 39657 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Useless Factoids
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 01:40:31 am »
Buckingham Palace has over six hundred rooms.

(Well, that's what I've heard anyway.)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 01:47:38 am »
Buckingham Palace has over six hundred rooms.

(Well, that's what I've heard anyway.)

Buckingham Palace is 77,000 square metres of floorspace (828,818 square feet). In 1999 it was stated
  • that the palace contained 19 state rooms, 52 principal bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 bathrooms. That is a total of 429 rooms.

*Robinson, John Martin (1999). Buckingham Palace. Published by The Royal Collection, St. James's Palace, London ISBN 1-902163-36-2.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 02:07:35 am »
Buckingham Palace is 77,000 square metres of floorspace (828,818 square feet). In 1999 it was stated
  • that the palace contained 19 state rooms, 52 principal bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 bathrooms. That is a total of 429 rooms.

*Robinson, John Martin (1999). Buckingham Palace. Published by The Royal Collection, St. James's Palace, London ISBN 1-902163-36-2.

Well, 429 rooms is still VERY big, isn't it?

You know who told me it had 600 rooms? My English boyfriend! I'm gonna have a long talk with that man.  >:(

;)  ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2007, 02:16:51 am »
Do you know the Black widow spider?

It is the most venomous spider in  North America

The venom of the female black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the Prairie Rattlesnake. Only a minute amount of the toxin is injected in a single bite by the spider however, so they are rarely fatal. By comparison, the relatively large amount of injected rattlesnake venom results in about 15 to 25 percent mortality among those bitten.

The male Black Widow cannot bite humans, because the fangs arent long enough to penetrate the skin.

Spider silks have some of the best mechanical properties of any known natural fibers, thus they are being considered in the improvement of a variety of products including surgical microsutures and specialty ropes. Dragline silk -- just one type of the seven different silks that an individual spider produces -- are used by spiders as the structural foundation of their webs and to support their body weight as they move about. The dragline silk of black widows is one of the strongest and toughest spider silks identified thus far

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2007, 02:48:03 am »
Do you know the Black widow spider?

It is the most venomous spider in  North America

The venom of the female black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the Prairie Rattlesnake. Only a minute amount of the toxin is injected in a single bite by the spider however, so they are rarely fatal. By comparison, the relatively large amount of injected rattlesnake venom results in about 15 to 25 percent mortality among those bitten.

The male Black Widow cannot bite humans, because the fangs arent long enough to penetrate the skin.

Spider silks have some of the best mechanical properties of any known natural fibers, thus they are being considered in the improvement of a variety of products including surgical microsutures and specialty ropes. Dragline silk -- just one type of the seven different silks that an individual spider produces -- are used by spiders as the structural foundation of their webs and to support their body weight as they move about. The dragline silk of black widows is one of the strongest and toughest spider silks identified thus far

Eww. We have rattlesnakes where I live. I almost stepped on one a few months ago when I was hiking.

*cold chill*

:P  :P

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2007, 03:41:26 am »
Black Widow spiders scare the bejeessus out of me.  Every time I work in the garden or clear out the garage or the potting shed I am so careful.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline pettifogger

• Just passin through
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 12:31:48 am »
Did you know a dime has 118 ridges around the edge?

Dimes are made out of an alloy (a mixture of metals) of 91.67 percent copper and 8.33 percent nickel (before 1965, the dime was made out of silver). The dime has a edge with 118 ridges. This coin is 17.91 mm in diameter and is 1.35 mm thick - it is the smallest, thinnest and lightest US coin.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/math/money/coins/dime/

Offline pettifogger

• Just passin through
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:16 am »
Did you know an ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain?

At a diameter of 2” and a head not much larger there isn’t much room
for the brain when you do the math!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-ostrich.html

Offline pettifogger

• Just passin through
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 12:34:37 am »
Well, 429 rooms is still VERY big, isn't it?

You know who told me it had 600 rooms? My English boyfriend! I'm gonna have a long talk with that man.  >:(

;)  ;)

David I hope I didn't offend you by clarifing the number rooms in the palace.  It was not my intention.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:44 am »
David I hope I didn't offend you by clarifing the number rooms in the palace.  It was not my intention.  :)

NO!! Not at all!!  :D

I thought it was funny!  :laugh:

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D