Author Topic: 100 Things to do before you Die!  (Read 78339 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: 100 Things to do before you Die!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 10:45:23 pm »
You are so right, Kerry, it is best served on a hot summer night.  So refreshing!

Oh, you're still in winter, aren't you, mate?

It's a lovely warm evening here in Cape Cod.  Cheers to you!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 10:50:53 pm »
Hi Kerry!  :D

I believe the animal in my sig line is a wolf. A Gray Timberwolf. Most of the coyotes I've seen around here are brown; although I think they have gray coyotes out west. Around here they're brown, or a brown and gray mixture.

The sentence under the wolf is Lakota and it means "I'm still here" (literally "I'm still alive" but most modern day Sioux will interpret it to mean "I'm still here"). The wolf is a symbol of power and ESPECIALLY of wisdom to the Lakota. So, what I'm saying in my sig line is I'm beginning a knowledge quest. In other words, I'm here and I'm ready to learn.

That's what I'm TRYING to say, anyhow!  ;) :D

It's a beautiful image, David. So wild and free!  :D

Do I recall you mentioning at another thread that your name-animal or totem is the wolf? I apologise if I've got those terms wrong. I seem to remember you mentioned something about that. It sounded very interesting to me, because so much more thought and consideration appeared to go into the naming of a Sioux child, in comparison to the way children are named in the western tradition.

David, I hope you don't mind that I've saved a copy of your beautiful lunar wolf for myself!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:57 pm »
It's a beautiful image, David. So wild and free!  :D

Do I recall you mentioning at another thread that your name-animal or totem is the wolf? I apologise if I've got those terms wrong. I seem to remember you mentioned something about that. It sounded very interesting to me, because so much more thought and consideration appeared to go into the naming of a Sioux child, in comparison to the way children are named in the western tradition.

David, I hope you don't mind that I've saved a copy of your beautiful lunar wolf for myself!  :D

Hey Kerry! Technically no. But I have such a deep love for the wolf (and other canine animals such as dogs and coyotes) it probably should be. My mother always told me I was an eagle when I was small. In fact she named me "Little Eagle" (not an official name. More like a nick name) and when I was a teenager a tribal elder told me my spirit was a horse; or more specifically a spirit horse and I was given the name Yamni Tasunka (Three Spirit Horses). But I have met many wolf spirits in my life. Many people possess the wolf and it is an excellent animal to be associated with.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 11:44:25 pm »
Hey Kerry! Technically no. But I have such a deep love for the wolf (and other canine animals such as dogs and coyotes) it probably should be. My mother always told me I was an eagle when I was small. In fact she named me "Little Eagle" (not an official name. More like a nick name) and when I was a teenager a tribal elder told me my spirit was a horse; or more specifically a spirit horse and I was given the name Yamni Tasunka (Three Spirit Horses). But I have met many wolf spirits in my life. Many people possess the wolf and it is an excellent animal to be associated with.  :D

That is so much more romantic than the way I got my name, David!  :)

Let me tell you how I came to be named Kerry.

During my mother's pregnancy, my parent's short-listed three possible names for me, should it happen that I was a boy. They were hoping desperately for a girl, because they already had three sons. But I digress, the names were David  :D, Stephen and Richard (which is my middle name). The story goes that shortly after my birth, my three brothers visited my Mum in hospital. She told them the three possible names she was considering and there was apparently a near riot at the bed-side. They hated all three names! Why? Very important reasons for school boys. They knew boys at school named David, Stephen and Richard, who they didn't like, and didn't want a baby brother "named after them." So in desperation, Mum turned to the woman in the bed next to her and asked, "What have you named your baby son?" When the woman responded, "Kerry" (an unusual name for a boy at the time), my Mum declared to the family, "So be it!" And the rest is history. Mum got her way in small measure by giving me the middle name of Richard. My godmother, Dorothy (Yes, my godmother's name really is Dorothy! Please, no fairy godmother jokes!  :laugh:), refused to call me Kerry 'cause she hated the name so much, preferring "Ricky" instead, until she finally relented when I reached my teens, and started calling me by my real name. I'm glad "Ricky" didn't catch on! I probably would have go the nickname of "Lucy" at school!  :laugh:

Alas, not quite as romantic as soaring eagles and spirit horses!  :'(   ;)   :)     
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 12:09:22 am »
That is so much more romantic than the way I got my name, David!  :)

Let me tell you how I came to be named Kerry.

During my mother's pregnancy, my parent's short-listed three possible names for me, should it happen that I was a boy. They were hoping desperately for a girl, because they already had three sons. But I digress, the names were David  :D, Stephen and Richard (which is my middle name). The story goes that shortly after my birth, my three brothers visited my Mum in hospital. She told them the three possible names she was considering and there was apparently a near riot at the bed-side. They hated all three names! Why? Very important reasons for school boys. They knew boys at school named David, Stephen and Richard, who they didn't like, and didn't want a baby brother "named after them." So in desperation, Mum turned to the woman in the bed next to her and asked, "What have you named your baby son?" When the woman responded, "Kerry" (an unusual name for a boy at the time), my Mum declared to the family, "So be it!" And the rest is history. Mum got her way in small measure by giving me the middle name of Richard. My godmother, Dorothy (Yes, my godmother's name really is Dorothy! Please, no fairy godmother jokes!  :laugh:), refused to call me Kerry 'cause she hated the name so much, preferring "Ricky" instead, until she finally relented when I reached my teens, and started calling me by my real name. I'm glad "Ricky" didn't catch on! I probably would have go the nickname of "Lucy" at school!  :laugh:

Alas, not quite as romantic as soaring eagles and spirit horses!  :'(   ;)   :)     

Aww! Thanks for telling that story! I love the name Kerry. I think it's a cute name. It's cute, but it's classy and elegant too.... classy cute!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2007, 08:59:01 am »
Thank ya kindly, David. I'm more accustomed to it now. Wasn't so easy going through school with a "girl's name"!  :-\    ::)    ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2007, 03:20:17 pm »
Thank ya kindly, David. I'm more accustomed to it now. Wasn't so easy going through school with a "girl's name"!  :-\    ::)    ;)

Well, if it's any consolation, Kerry is a very popular boys name now. There are many guys named Kerry over here in the US. Who knows? Maybe it was YOU who started the trend, Kerry!  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 11:42:36 pm »

Well, if it's any consolation, Kerry is a very popular boys name now. There are many guys named Kerry over here in the US. Who knows? Maybe it was YOU who started the trend, Kerry!  :D

Haha!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:48 am »
So many lovely ideas! You really inspired me a lot! Another thing I want to do before I die is to spend a week in the mountains running about with bare feet.....maybe I´ll do that in September......but I don´t have planned to die afterwards  ;D.....

Dagi

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2007, 08:33:21 am »
I picked.....

Kiss a movie star
Love your body.
Travel from coast to coast across the USA
Do something you fear
Make love in a tent in Alberta
Smell snow.
Watch a lunar eclipse
Buy a cowboy hat in Wyoming.
Be an extra in a film
Shower under a waterfall.
Make a wish as you throw a coin into Rome’s Trevi fountain.
Spend the night in a haunted house.
Write a song.
Forgive yourself.
Go white water rafting
Yodel on a Swiss mountain
Meditate at Stonehenge.
Buy cowboy boots in Texas
Visit the Mona Lisa and smile at her.
Gallop a horse on a deserted beach.
Make love in a motel room in Wyoming.
Go on a fishing trip with your sweetie in the Big Horn Mountains.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!