Author Topic: 100 Things to do before you Die!  (Read 78317 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: 100 Things to do before you Die!
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2007, 03:40:47 am »
Okay. Now listen to me all you "tropical people" out there! Snow doesn't smell! Not unless a dog or cat pees in it first.

Snow is frozen water and it doesn't smell.

;)  ;)  :D

Okay. Now that we've cleared that up, what does "Lay a wreath on the grieving plain" mean? I voted for it because I thought it sounded pretty, but I have no idea what it is.  ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2007, 07:42:23 am »
I have done the following:

Run a marathon.
Well – no But I have walked a marathon each day for 4 days running. Kinda similar!!

Bungee jump/Do something you Fear   

Did it for Women’s Aid back in 2001 – I have a video of me doing it – I scream like a baby in it – was scary but exhilarating – especially waiting for the first bounce back up as you always have it in the back of your head you might go splat!

Learn to Tango.
I did some salsa dancing classes – so I learnt some tango moves

Smell Snow

Well, I live in Scotland after all! (It smells fresh David - like a real cold windy day!)

Have your portrait painted.

I had a sketch done of myself at a wedding once by one of the guests who was an artist – my Mum got it framed and has it on her wall.

Be an extra in a film.

Now – not a film as yet, but I have been an extra in 2 adverts and a Scottish soap opera! I was nearly I a film that’s being filmed currently with Biully Boyd and Robert Carslyle called the Stone of Destiny but they decided at the last minute because it was set in the 50’s they could have any extra with highlighted hair AT ALL! So I was out!

Make a wish as you throw a coin into Rome’s Trevi fountain.

I can’t remember the wish, but I have done this back in 2002 when I was doing my euro trip right after uni.

Hug a stranger every day for a week.
Have hugged strangers – see my free hugs story on this thread before!

Talk to a stranger on the bus.

Walk in a rain forest.

Again kinda – walked through the Escanbray mountains and its large forests in Cuba – with all sorts of gorgeous wildlife – I want to do this properly one day though!

Skip around the Eiffel Tower

Been up the Eiffel tower twice – not sure if I skipped but want to do that and see the strange looks I get!!

Memorise a poem.

Did this at school – I’m sure I could reel ones off now.

Get a tattoo

I have a small one on my foot

Become a vegetarian

I have been a vegetarian longer than I was a meat eater – I gave out red meat at age 9, and by 12 I was a full vegetarian.   I’m almost 26 now!    
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2007, 08:33:21 am »
Okay. Now listen to me all you "tropical people" out there! Snow doesn't smell! Not unless a dog or cat pees in it first.

Okay. Now that we've cleared that up, what does "Lay a wreath on the grieving plain" mean? I voted for it because I thought it sounded pretty, but I have no idea what it is.  ???

On a 1981 fishing trip (the one where Jack says, "Tell you what . . . truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it . . .") Jack says to Ennis, "It's gonna snow tonight for sure." And somewhere in the original short story, Annie Proulx says something about being able to smell snow coming. She says it has a gunmetal kinda smell. I went looking for the latter quote but couldn't find it (it's late here and I'm tired). Maybe it was not in BBM at all, but in one of the other "Open Range" stories.  ???

Quote from the short story, when Ennis visits Jack's parents - "In the end the stud duck refused to let Jack's ashes go. "Tell you what, we got a family plot and he's goin in it." Jack's mother stood at the table coring apples with a sharp, serrated instrument. "You come again," she said. Bumping down the washboard road Ennis passed the country cemetery fenced with sagging sheep wire, a tiny fenced square on the welling prairie, a few graves bright with plastic flowers, and didn't want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain."  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2007, 08:47:20 am »
Be an extra in a film.

Now – not a film as yet, but I have been an extra in 2 adverts and a Scottish soap opera! I was nearly I a film that’s being filmed currently with Biully Boyd and Robert Carslyle called the Stone of Destiny but they decided at the last minute because it was set in the 50’s they could have any extra with highlighted hair AT ALL! So I was out!

Gee, you've done a lot, Kelda!  :D

You definitely get 10 outa 10 from me for your peripheral brush with fame, by almost appearing in a film with Robert Carlyle!  :o   :D

He is a very fine actor, indeed. I first noticed him in "Priest," one of my favourite films!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2007, 04:10:51 pm »
On a 1981 fishing trip (the one where Jack says, "Tell you what . . . truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it . . .") Jack says to Ennis, "It's gonna snow tonight for sure." And somewhere in the original short story, Annie Proulx says something about being able to smell snow coming. She says it has a gunmetal kinda smell. I went looking for the latter quote but couldn't find it (it's late here and I'm tired). Maybe it was not in BBM at all, but in one of the other "Open Range" stories.  ???

Kerry, I hope you realize I was just kidding when I typed that! Although I never did think snow had a smell to it. Maybe I should have inserted a  :laugh: in my post. I thought I did, but when I went back and re read it a minute ago, I noticed I put a  :D in there instead.

I was just kidding when I typed that, buddy!

[[[Kerry]]]

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 04:25:28 pm »

I think snow smells! Ever since I was a kid I have said and heard "it smells like snow"!
Maybe thats just me!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2007, 04:30:04 pm »
Gee, you've done a lot, Kelda!  :D

You definitely get 10 outa 10 from me for your peripheral brush with fame, by almost appearing in a film with Robert Carlyle!  :o   :D

He is a very fine actor, indeed. I first noticed him in "Priest," one of my favourite films!  :D

YOu've done lots more Kerry!

yes - I like Robert, along with Ewan and James McAvoy. I have a soft spot for scottish actors! Did you see Robert in 28 weeks later - VG  but gory!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »
I think snow smells! Ever since I was a kid I have said and heard "it smells like snow"!
Maybe thats just me!  ;D

It does? I never can smell anything when I stick my nose in it! Maybe we just have weird snow up here.  ???

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2007, 04:42:08 pm »
It does? I never can smell anything when I stick my nose in it! Maybe we just have weird snow up here.  ???

I bet it's problably more a case of me being wierd than the snow! LOL
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
When ever it snows down here you cn just tell it's going too. The air has a different quality about it and the clouds look different.It's usually a fine line here that has to bbalanced on if we get snow. We usually get rain or ice. Sometimews sleet but usually rain or ice. It used to snow more here when i was a kid. the last snow of any signifigance we got was in 99 I beleive. Now significant for us is 3" or better and I think it was just about 3". We haven't had any snow since then other than flurries that didn't stick.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2007, 05:07:51 pm »
I bet it's problably more a case of me being wierd than the snow! LOL
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
When ever it snows down here you cn just tell it's going too. The air has a different quality about it and the clouds look different.It's usually a fine line here that has to bbalanced on if we get snow. We usually get rain or ice. Sometimews sleet but usually rain or ice. It used to snow more here when i was a kid. the last snow of any signifigance we got was in 99 I beleive. Now significant for us is 3" or better and I think it was just about 3". We haven't had any snow since then other than flurries that didn't stick.

Well Lee, the next time we get our usual FOOT of snow up here, I'll mail it to ya!  ;)  :D