Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Memories  (Read 24746 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Favorite Childhood Memories
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 02:11:15 am »
This isn't exactly one of my favorite childhood memories, but who could EVER forget that "Flintstones" commercial?

It played for years, and I remember seeing it on TV all the time when I was a kid. I won't even tell you what it's about. You'll just have to watch the commercial and see for yourself. But it sure is a blast from the past for those of us old enough to remember it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7voOuURHTvE[/youtube]

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:27:02 am »
Slinky!!!

This was one of my favorite toys when I was growing up! I have no idea how many of them I went through though. They  always ended up in a big knot!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And Silly Putty!

haha. I ate this stuff! I chewed it like gum. It tasted terrible, but I couldn't keep it out of my mouth!  :laugh:

You could copy comics with it, you could stretch it, you could bounce it... and I guess you could eat it too, if you were a kid like me!  :P

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 07:42:48 am »
Slinky!!!

This was one of my favorite toys when I was growing up! I have no idea how many of them I went through though. They  always ended up in a big knot!

And Silly Putty!

haha. I ate this stuff! I chewed it like gum. It tasted terrible, but I couldn't keep it out of my mouth!  :laugh:

You could copy comics with it, you could stretch it, you could bounce it... and I guess you could eat it too, if you were a kid like me!  :P

Those were so much  fun!!! I could be entertained for a long time with either one of them. I copied the comic section of the paper on my Silly Putty,too, but I didn't chew it.  :P They still sell thiis stuff at Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the memories, David.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 07:48:53 am »
Haha---I don't remember the commercial, but.......how "incorrect" can you get? Ahhhh....the good ol' days!! :o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:49 am »
Does anyone else remember these vintage soda pops?  Collecting the bottles, finding them on the side of the road or in the trash and then turning them at the store for the deposit?  I use to get my pocket money that way :D and in the summer time spent it on more Pop!

Chocolate Yoo-Hoo, Kickapoo Joy Juice, Frostie Root Beer, Bubble Up, Nesbits Strawberry Soda, Grape Nehi
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 10:41:35 pm »
Does anyone else remember these vintage soda pops?  Collecting the bottles, finding them on the side of the road or in the trash and then turning them at the store for the deposit?  I use to get my pocket money that way :D and in the summer time spent it on more Pop!

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/4570/50129204544dc4cbf8mby1.jpg[/img]

Chocolate Yoo-Hoo, Kickapoo Joy Juice, Frostie Root Beer, Bubble Up, Nesbits Strawberry Soda, Grape Nehi

I remember Nehi!! That stuff was GOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Do they sell it anymore? I haven't seen it in years!

I used to collect bottles too! But they don't give refunds for bottles anymore in Indiana. In fact, I don't think they even sell soda in glass bottles here any longer. Those glass bottles had a down side to them too. Sometimes the mouth of the bottle would be chipped. Once I cut my lip on a chipped bottle, and I bled like a stuck pig for about 10 minutes! I'll never forget that. I think I was 5 or 6 when it happened.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 10:48:05 pm »
These old pictures of products are great  :)

Well, let's see:

Friday night cause school was over for the week.
Watching "Dark Shadows" after school.
Watching scary movies, especially late on Friday nights.
Listening and finding new music (yes, it goes back that far).
Buckburgers.

That's a few I can think of. Oh yeah, I remember Shake A Puddin'. Do they still make that

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 10:54:45 pm »
Poor David--that's a bad memory for a little 5 year old! You probably didn't even notice it.  My gran told me not to drink out of the chipped bottles because she said the glass might be inside. Of course---if she didn't catch it.......I'd do it anyway.

We used to have big 16 ounce Pepsis, and on Saturdays, my granny and I would "half" one and drink it out of a glass full of ice with popcorn while I watched "wrestling". LOL. That seems so funny now, that we  shared a bottle and we had a Pepsi only on Saturdays---it was a treat.

Yep--Grape Nehis were very tasty! I don't know if they still make those or not.

Remember Radar O'Reilly on M.A.S.H.? He always drank Grape Nehis, didn't he! I think he got "drunk" on them once.
 :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:25 pm »
Poor David--that's a bad memory for a little 5 year old! You probably didn't even notice it.  My gran told me not to drink out of the chipped bottles because she said the glass might be inside. Of course---if she didn't catch it.......I'd do it anyway.

We used to have big 16 ounce Pepsis, and on Saturdays, my granny and I would "half" one and drink it out of a glass full of ice with popcorn while I watched "wrestling". LOL. That seems so funny now, that we  shared a bottle and we had a Pepsi only on Saturdays---it was a treat.

Yep--Grape Nehis were very tasty! I don't know if they still make those or not.

Remember Radar O'Reilly on M.A.S.H.? He always drank Grape Nehis, didn't he! I think he got "drunk" on them once.
 :D

My Dad LOVED M*A*S*H! Dad is a veteran of the Korean war, and he always watched M*A*S*H each week. In fact, I think he still watches it when it airs on TVLand. Yup! Radar loved his Nehi!! And I think I remember the episode when he got drunk on them!  :laugh:

Well, let's see:

Buckburgers.

That's a few I can think of. Oh yeah, I remember Shake A Puddin'. Do they still make that

What is Shake A Puddin'? I don't think I remember it.

I remember Jiffy Pop! It came in a pan with a foil top. You heated it over the stove and the foil would expand as the popcorn popped inside of it. You had to shake it constantly so the popcorn wouldn't scortch.

I remember mom saying "Stand away while I pull open this foil or you'll get a steam burn!"  :laugh:

Anyone remember this commercial? I sure do!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvHgPWFtbM[/youtube]

Her fried chicken wouldn't taste greasy if she'd drain it before she served it!!  >:(  :laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 11:50:56 pm »

Well, let's see:

Buckburgers.

"Fantastic Features" came on from a Memphis TV station--can't remember whether it was on Friday or Saturday. But I would BEG someone to stay up with me to watch it.  Haha I was too afraid to watch alone, but I didn't want to miss it!!! The host was "Sivad" and later I learned that his real surname was Davis, so he spelled it backwards for his stage name. He wore a top hat and a cape--and fangs.

Did ya'll watch "The Twilight Zone"? That one scared me too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~