Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 829638 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2007, 02:04:59 am »
I guess people just do move on all of a sudden and really without warning. It just seems to happen. I read the posts of people who wrote all the time and then suddenly they just stopped. Many of these people were here long before I showed up so I never knew them. Guess they found something that was more fitting to their life or maybe they disagreed with something or maybe they just didn't care anymore or maybe they felt nobody cared about them. Who knows. They just moved on. I see that happening with many people I know on here. It is pretty inevitable that they are on their last posts and ready for something else or whatever. Will anyone replace them or will the numbers just continue to dwindle to where there is nothing else? A community of nobody. A ghost town where people used to joke, used to laugh, used to share themselves with people they never knew existed. Trust eroded, things were said about others that had no truth to them, hostilities developed, everybody left. Some stayed to see what would happen, hoping to rekindle that which existed at one time, but the time had passed, they moved on to other places, other times, other lives. The place they had found had flaws, later they found that all places had flaws, but the time had passed, nobody could ever go back, a previous life had been lived and was now forgotten. The old hotel stood in darkness where once upon a time lights glimmered every night welcoming those needing a place to get warm, a place to feel at home. The wrecking ball nearby reminded everyone in the village that change was coming soon. A small flame ignited near the now overgrown entrance.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #281 on: December 22, 2007, 02:16:17 pm »

I thought iwould tell you ,,,my grandaughter just got her grades back from her finals, this semester,  she got all As but one, A-. She is starting on her last year, she should graduate next year this time...She will then take two years off to get her work time in before starting her graduate school...

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2007, 02:32:59 pm »
Hey, that is great Janice. What is her major?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2007, 02:36:20 pm »

Business, and Philosophy

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2007, 02:41:18 pm »
That is a very good combination as well as a great background!!!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2007, 02:54:40 pm »

Yes she started out as premed...but realized her heart wasnt in it...
She really wants to do work in charitable companies.. As in the Red Cross,
Doctors without borders,, such..

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2007, 03:05:25 pm »

Honey i dont think its so much that the place has flaws, as the people have flaws...The flaws that some people have that dont care , and the flaws of people that care too much. 
    I loved your ghosttown metaphor...i hope it doesnt come to that.  I think there is still life here.  It only has to be cared for and fostered.  Just like a marriage or afriendship.  You have to keep adjusting and accomodating...If one
or the other is intent on getting their way all of the time...It wont work.  That is the thing that people have to remember.
    The movie and its motivation, is becoming secondary now.  The primary is the friends we have made here, thru that common thread...Its up to us
now to keep those friendships alive and thriving... Does this not show the
difficult and harsh things that conspire to cause problems in any relationship.  Just as all the troubles that Jack and Ennis had to overcome.... 

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2007, 04:10:04 pm »
I agree completely Janice. There is still a lot of life here and there are new people finding us along the way. Take for instance Joe who just started posting. I think many of us almost scared him because we showed him such a strong welcome  :) The movie did bring us here, but there is no doubt that the friends we have made here provide the continuing motivation to stay. We may loose people along the way, but like I say we gain new ones too. So no we will not become a ghost town, but it seemed a fitting metaphor at the time. A lot of people don't realize that an online community too will always develop the same type problems as a real world community. That is just the way it goes and as such it is like a relationship. I had to read a book for one of my last classes that dealt with how online communities develop and how they grow. I saw much of BetterMost in there. It was almost ironical how much I understood the book.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2007, 04:29:46 pm »
A lot of people don't realize that an online community too will always develop the same type problems as a real world community. That is just the way it goes....

That's why we have to have a mayor, sheriff, and moderators like a RW community. The moderators have to be mediators, and there has to be a place where the buck stops -- the mayor. I am glad that the board has a "board" because otherwise -- anarchy!  :P

Some people -- including a couple of moderators -- don't like me because I am a fence-straddler. I'm a middle of the roader -- and that is anathema to many people. Not adamant enough. Won't fiercely take sides. Slightly right of center. That's okay. I will be what I will be. Everyone does not have to like me. So far, I have no animosity toward anyone. I may stay away from them to make their lives easier, but I have no hard feelings.

I love Bettermost!! If it was an actual town, I'd retire there!  
;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2007, 05:09:44 pm »
Yeah I wondered too if he didn;t get freaked out by page after page of welcome. But we are a bunch willing to learn and adapt.  That is what this place has going for it.

I know, some of those people who mosed on, Celeste, Andrew, yeah I miss their presence, but they seem like they were doing well, they moved on because they had something else to demand their attention and that is preferable to leaving because your possed about something.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."