Author Topic: My favorite gay movies  (Read 47437 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: My favorite gay movies
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 09:47:07 pm »
Obviously I need to catch up on some of these movies since there are many I have never even heard of that every one is mentioning. What was Come Back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean about? Was that the one where the three draq queens were going across the country in a great big Cadillac and the car broke down in a small town?

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:43 pm »
No, you're thinking of To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995), starring Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo. This was more or less a remake of the 1994 Australian feature The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. In spite of all the charms of the former title, I think Priscilla is a more nuanced and rewarding film.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 10:02:50 pm »
* Beautiful Thing - incredibly sweet coming of age story, and looove those sexy South London accents. I saw an off-Broadway version of the play, very fun too.

I saw the stage play too but didn't enjoy it as much as the movie.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:19:32 pm »
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), directed by Peter Weir

Ah, yes, "Picnic at Hanging Rock." One of my favourite Australian movies. So atmospheric and mysterious. And who could ever forget that beautiful main theme on the pan pipes? Exquisite. Having said that, however, can it actually be classified as a "gay movie"? I mean, certainly, it's set around a group of school girls having a picnic and Miranda is particularly beautiful, but I can't specifically recall any "gay" content. Would you also consider "The Devil's Playground" to be a gay movie, Scott? Personally, I would not, even though it is set in a Catholic boys' boarding school. I am open to persuasion here. It's been a long time since I saw either movie.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 10:57:20 am »
Brokeback Mountain

Sordid Lives

Jeffrey

To Wong Foo

Priscilla, QOTD

TransAmerica

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 11:03:56 am »
Last nite I heard about a film called Big Eden. Anybody seen this?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 03:09:02 pm »
Obviously I need to catch up on some of these movies since there are many I have never even heard of that every one is mentioning. What was Come Back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean about? Was that the one where the three draq queens were going across the country in a great big Cadillac and the car broke down in a small town?
Robert Altman directed this low-budget film version of the play by Ed Graczyk, also directed by Altman on Broadway with the same cast. The film takes place in the small Texas town of McCarthy in 1975. Inside of a five-and-dime store, a reunion is planned for the members of a local 1950s James Dean fan club. An odd assortment of women arrive, revealing hidden secrets, as Altman flashes back, showing the women as young James Dean fans, and then jumps forward to present day to reveal the ravages of time and lost innocence. Among the women returning for the reunion is Mona (Sandy Dennis), a disturbed woman who, in the '50s, got a job as an extra on the Giant shoot and nine months later gave birth to a son, who she claims is James Dean's child. There is Sissy (Cher), a wisecracking waitress, and also Joanne (Karen Black), who holds a shocking secret that is revealed at the reunion. Besides the three main players, a collection of supporting characters maneuver around the periphery. They are Stella Mae (Kathy Bates), the wife of a rich petroleum executive; Edna Louise (Marta Heflin), a shy, withdrawn woman with numerous children; Juanita (Sudie Bond), the manager of the five-and-dime store; and Joe Qualley (Mark Patton), a young man who likes to dress up in women's clothing.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline TXdoug

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »
I would say Big Eden is a MUST SEE for story, scenery and music :D
" To each his own, I always say " Widow Thayer (Big Eden) ;)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 03:47:34 pm »
Mine would be:

1. Long Time Companion: Because the sense of community it showed inspired me to accept myself. 16 years later I finally found Bettermost.

2. Brokeback Mountain: Because it showed this thing could hapen to regular, everyday, poor, uneducated people outside of a major city, and over a long period that most of us have lived thru.

3. Latter Days: Because it is a charming tale and has hot actors and a sense of hope.

4. Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: Because it is just funny as hell.

5. Capote: All my life people called me Truman Capote, and it would make me mad and finally one day I asked one of them if they knew who he was, nope, not a clue, it was just something they said. Now them fuckers can see this movie and see what a brave little faggot he was, and how human he was and the price he paid to get that story.

6.The Color Purple: Because it contains a line, I think it goes: "Miss Shug is a flower and I am a bee". But mostly, like Brokeback, it depicts same sex lonve betwixt disenfranchised Afraican American women in the south in earlier times.

7. The Sum of Us: Because it show what it could be like if we had cool parents.

8. Jeffery: Because it has the line "Who is Martha Stewart?" There needs to be more people like that.

9. A Beautiful Thing: Because in the end everyone is dancing.

10. Sordid Lives: When that guy busts into the nut house and rescues Brother Boy after all them years, it made me cry, just a little bit.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 03:53:04 pm »

Sordid Lives, I own that movie.  I love it.  My son and his wife gave me that for Christmas one year after I told them how much I loved it.  It is so funny...The woman with the rubber band...oww.LOL

Beautiful mind