Author Topic: My favorite gay movies  (Read 47443 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: My favorite gay movies
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 08:11:48 pm »
Many movies already mentioned here are fantastic, but I want to plug a bit of different genre film called "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang".  Val Kilmer as a hard-boiled gay LA detective is "pluperfectly" awesome, and Robert Downey Jr as the story's narrator is wonderfully incoherent!  The story?  I'm not sure I've even figured that out, but I liked the way one cliche after another of "Hollywood noir" gets set up and then thwarted.

I'd love to see a sequel...

Thanks for reminding me about this one, Bruce - love Val Kilmer.

The new movie Eastern Promises has a definate gay thread running thru it.  Even though
it is never a consumated connection.  You can see the character Kalil is totally in love with the character played by Viggo Mortenson...

Thanks to you too, Janice - this one is on my must-see list this fall - Viggo is yummy and dude can act!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:56 pm »
And there was Ang Lee's Wedding Banquet, which was an amazing tale I thought. Along the same line is A Touch of Pink, both of them dealing with cross cultural gay love. I really like the Cary Grant character in TOP.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 03:45:42 am »
I saw Breakfast on Pluto tonight and I found it simply wonderful from beginning to end--charming, emotionally satisfying, delicately nuanced and very powerful. Cillian Murphy  as transsexual Patrick a.k.a. "Kitten"  is impossibly gorgeous and frighteningly innocent inspite of all that life throws him.  This film, much like our beloved Brokeback, drew me in and took me to places I did not expect and might not have reached on my own.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 12:02:47 am »
I don't think anyone has said Love! Valour! Compassion! yet.  I love Terrence McNally.

Cabaret - I remember being about 13 years old, and the Michael York character saying "Screw Maximilian."  And Sally replying, "I do."  And the Michael York character saying, "So do I."  That may have been the first time I ever heard someone talking about gay sex.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 12:48:51 am »
I only know the gay movies I have seen

Brokeback Mountain

But I'm a Cheerleader (funny teen movie)

Boys Dont Cry (very upsetting)

Rocky Horror Picture Show (Finally saw it on video years after it was released in the theaters and I simply LOVED it)

Wild Things (Neve Campbell and Denise Richards are hot)

Cruel Intentions (a very sexy lesbian kiss)

Gia (True story about the first super model)  sad

The bird cage

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 11:27:06 am »

Cabaret - I remember being about 13 years old, and the Michael York character saying "Screw Maximilian."  And Sally replying, "I do."  And the Michael York character saying, "So do I."  That may have been the first time I ever heard someone talking about gay sex.

I was in my 20s when I first saw "Cabaret" back in the 70s. And like you, Clarissa, it was one of the first times I ever saw anything gay on the big screen. I love "Cabaret" and will always remember the truly unforgettable scene you mention. Do you remember the other scene where the three of them are drunkenly dancing together, and you first become aware that "something" is going on?

It's firmly etched into my psyche, right up there with the first ever, close-up, man-on-man, mouth-to-mouth kiss I ever saw at the cinema. I speak, of course, of the truly unforgettable kiss between Peter Finch and Murray Head in "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" (also from the 70s), which also starred the brilliant Glenda Jackson, who romantically shared Murray Head with Peter Finch in the film.

I herewith formally add "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" to my list ("Cabaret" is already on it)  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2007, 01:15:46 pm »
Here's Murray Head:  reportedly, Peter Finch said of the famous kiss that he just closed his eyes and thought of England! 

I wonder if Heath thought of Australia?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2007, 01:16:44 pm »
Here's Murray Head:  reportedly, Peter Finch said of the famous kiss that he just closed his eyes and thought of England! 

I wonder if Heath thought of Australia?
Is that the same guy who sang that song "One Night in Bangkok"?
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 01:18:20 pm »
Is that the same guy who sang that song "One Night in Bangkok"?

Yes, about eight or ten years later.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2007, 01:22:52 pm »
Yes, about eight or ten years later.

LOL!
Really, how many Murray Head's could there be?  ::)
Sometimes I'm on the slow train!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"