Author Topic: My favorite gay movies  (Read 47433 times)

moremojo

Re: My favorite gay movies
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2007, 01:23:50 pm »
Here's Murray Head:  reportedly, Peter Finch said of the famous kiss that he just closed his eyes and thought of England! 

I wonder if Heath thought of Australia?
But wasn't Finch himself from Australia?  ???

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2007, 01:24:02 pm »

You only have to look at my siggie pic to see one of my fave gay movies EVER.

Tipping the Velvet

(thank you Sarah Waters! )  :)

moremojo

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2007, 01:28:16 pm »
I learn from the IMDb that Finch was British born, but grew up in Australia from the age of ten. According to the same source, Finch was not the first choice for the role of the homosexual doctor in Schlesinger's film. He was a last-minute replacement for a man who was dismissed by the director when he balked at a same-sex scene. (Incidentally, John Schlesinger himself was homosexual).

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2007, 01:36:33 pm »
LOL!
Really, how many Murray Head's could there be?  ::)
Sometimes I'm on the slow train!  :laugh:

"One night in Bangkok" was from a musical called "Chess".
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2007, 01:55:34 pm »
I know this is OT, but it's a great blast from the past:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4IqAlDdZY[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2007, 01:58:03 pm »
When I was looking up "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", I read that the first gay male kiss in the movies was in a 1968 film called "The Sergeant" with Rod Steiger.  Has anyone seen this?

moremojo

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2007, 03:08:26 pm »
No, but I think I've seen the clip with the kiss itself. I'm pretty sure they showed it in the film version of The Celluloid Closet, a documentary on the history of Hollywood's representation (such as it was for many decades) of lesbigay people, and which was narrated by Lily Tomlin. The kiss was very aggressive, with strong overtones of self-loathing and contempt for the man being kissed.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2007, 05:57:49 pm »
No, but I think I've seen the clip with the kiss itself. I'm pretty sure they showed it in the film version of The Celluloid Closet, a documentary on the history of Hollywood's representation (such as it was for many decades) of lesbigay people, and which was narrated by Lily Tomlin. The kiss was very aggressive, with strong overtones of self-loathing and contempt for the man being kissed.

I saw "The Sergeant" many years ago and from what I remember, Steiger played an overtly butch, outwardly appearingly heterosexual man's man, with a hidden secret self. The film specifically centres on a crush he has on a handsome young recruit. The climax of the film sees Steiger forcing himself on the young chap. From what I remember, the kiss comes across as part of what appears to be almost a rape sequence, not a loving encounter. This wasn't such an unusual depiction of gays at the time, who were seen as self-loathing perverts, obsessed with sex.

The reason the kiss in "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" came across as so staggeringly shocking at the time was because it was presented as part of a normal, loving, sexual union between two men. The scene was brilliantly shot in the garden of the Finch doctor character's sumptuously beautiful London home, with Mozart's opera "Così fan Tutte" playing sublimely in the background (I later purchased the recording!). Murray Head enters nonchalantly and suddenly, as they greet each other, quite unexpectedly, their heads fill the screen in profile, in a huge close up, in a passionate French kiss. I saw it at a packed, suburban cinema in Sydney with my partner, and there was an audible "Gasp!" from the audience - including us!     
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2007, 09:03:33 pm »
I know this is OT, but it's a great blast from the past:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4IqAlDdZY[/youtube]
You are my hero!!!
I love that!
I felt for just a moment like I was back in College!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
250,000 posts!
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2007, 09:29:15 pm »
I got a kick out of that, too.

BTW, Richard, your last post was the 250,000th on the forum!