Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera  (Read 44796 times)

mvansand76

Re: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera (NO WAY!)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:27:52 am »
I'm STILL thinking about that washrag.  :-\

Do you mean this one?

;D

For the people who weren't on BM yet when we went to the play here's some pics. There was singing in this one too!

The actors on stage:

Another one of the guys who played Jack and Ennis. Left Jack, right Ennis.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:45:56 am »
I posted this on my blog yesterday. Just for fun....

(the photo is from Afterelton.com)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:50 am »
Do you mean this one?

Sweet memories....  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:15 am »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 07:39:05 am »
Yes, really.

L

Oh I love that! Thanks for posting it again! Yeah!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 08:06:28 am »

Can't see why an opera of Brokeback Mountain shouldn't work. After all, there's already been a ballet version - the Matthew Bourne (gay) interpretation of Swan Lake. Sure, Jack and Ennis are not named as such, but it is a love story about two tragic, star-crossed gay lover. And as an added bonus, the story is set to Tchaikovsky's original, breathtakingly beautiful musical score. The Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake was touring in Australia earlier this year and I saw it here in Sydney. To say it was sublime would be an understatement. It certainly had me in tears at the end. If it ever tours anywhere near you (they're London based), be sure to see it.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:34 pm »
Apparently the composer, Charles Wuorinen, is a a strict adherent of the atonal Schönberg school, which scares a lot of people. 
I think a BbM opera is pretty exciting!  I'm not familiar with the talent out there, who should sing the leads?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:48:43 pm by oilgun »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 03:47:23 pm »
Can't see why an opera of Brokeback Mountain shouldn't work. After all, there's already been a ballet version - the Matthew Bourne (gay) interpretation of Swan Lake. Sure, Jack and Ennis are not named as such, but it is a love story about two tragic, star-crossed gay lover. And as an added bonus, the story is set to Tchaikovsky's original, breathtakingly beautiful musical score. The Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake was touring in Australia earlier this year and I saw it here in Sydney. To say it was sublime would be an understatement. It certainly had me in tears at the end. If it ever tours anywhere near you (they're London based), be sure to see it.  :D

I missed this when it played in Denver last holiday season, but I did see Edward Scizzorhands by Matthew Bourne.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 03:51:06 pm »
Apparently the composer, Charles Wuorinen, is a a strict adherent of the atonal Schönberg school, which scares a lot of people. 
I think a BbM opera is pretty exciting?  I'm not familiar with the talent out there, who should sing the leads?

There are rumors...unconfirmed and unsubstantiated...that Hugh Jackman and James Marsden are being considered.

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:52 pm »
There are rumors...unconfirmed and unsubstantiated...that Hugh Jackman and James Marsden are being considered.
I thought these were the names being floated for the proposed musical...I don't think either of these gentlemen would have the requisite piping ( ::)) for opera.