Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8747240 times)

karen1129

Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2007, 11:37:49 am »
So many of these homeless people have mental disorders.
No true system in this country to really help and house them.
I have a cousin that is homeless.  He is severely bi-polar.  
Unless you live with them and force the meds down them,
it is almost impossible.  I learned a lot about mental health
resources myself last year.  You would be surpirsed how very
difficult it is to get help without money.
You try and get thru the governments maze of bullshit to
get to the right person.  They make it that difficult for a
reason !

ETA:   So many homeless people I see here are mentally handicap.
Sometimes when I look at them I think.......  there but for the grace of God ...................

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2007, 12:29:08 pm »
I agree with Both of you!
We should not be sending billions to other countries while we have problems here.
Further, the mental health system here is so dark ages.
It is driven by the insurance companies. I have had issues within my family of people who needed treatment. They had insurance but most insurance will only pay for a set amount and when thats used they are dismissed wether they should be or not.
I certainly don't have the answers but I don't think Government is the answer. Like Karen said,
You try and get thru the governments maze of bullshit to
get to the right person.  They make it that difficult for a
reason !
That is one reason I am so against Government health Care. Anytime you deal with the Government it is a rayal Cluster F**k! All one has to do is look at the VA system run by the Government and that should be enough to scare the shit out of you.
I do think Insurance companies should be regulated better but until we as a society get over our wanting to sue someone everytime we stub our collective toes it won't happen.
Well, sorry to ramble! Those are my thoughts your results may be different!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

karen1129

« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
Hell, the Insurance companies run this country.  As long as this government allows "special interest" groups to make policy, ........ nothing will every change.
BIg business runs this country !
Screw the little guy!

Rant over ! ;D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2007, 03:50:26 pm »
Yo got a point there with the sueing business. It is insanity. I get email alerts from the National Realtors Asscoiation all the time about poeple wh spend their time calling companies asking for copies of their do not call policy and when they don;t get it, their file suit. It is how they make a f'ing living! Why should I even try to accumulate anything if I am going to loose it to plaintiffs and lawyers?

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2007, 07:21:53 pm »
Oh my!  Such heaviness in the blog today!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2007, 05:11:27 am »
Well, I know this probably won't be a popular thought. However, there is a lot to be said about accountability and personal responsibility. This is the greatest nation on earth in that everyone has the opportunity to better themselves if they
choose to.

It's not easy and there are a lot of roadblocks that can be downright unfair. I just don't think it is the Governments responsibility to to be all things to all people. What makes the kid who grew up in the ghetto to a teenage mother and then becomes a CEO of a company so different from the other kid in the same housing project who chose a life of crime? He wanted better for himself and made the sacrifices to get where he wanted to be.
I just think in many cases people are where they chose to be.

At the risk of making your blog heavier, Chuck...my apologies in advance...

Clearly there are no easy answers to all these hard questions.  BUT It is beyond comprehension that the wealthiest and most powerful nation on earth cannot house and feed and provide health care for all its citizens.  I picked your quote out, Richard, to talk about accountability, because clearly accountability has a place.  If Person A with the same advantages and/or disadvantages as Person B ends up with a different outcome, then we may be able to look to the individual's initiative for a 'reasonable' explanation.  But, I submit, there are much more complex factors involved.

I have had a great deal of exposure to both the 'haves' and the 'have nots' in this world (as well as us in between) and I can tell you categorically that 'All men are not created equal.'  This is going to sound SO cynical - and I hate that! - but your social and family connections make an enormous difference in everything from your preschool to your university to the final outcome in your career.  I'm not discounting that you have responsibility for nurturing and maintining these contacts, but I'm much more likely to get that job at NASA when Grandpa knows the director than on my own merit, everything else being equal.

I am that girl who was the first to get a college degree because I earned a scholarship.  But that was because my mother had that dream for me.  It was drilled into me from Day 1.  If she'd been different, I could have just as easily ended up a teenage Mom on welfare - I have stepsisters who did.  Why did Mom value education?  She saw her own mother abused and saw education as an escape..hence even bigger dreams for me.  The dynamics in the same family could have led to a repeat of the cycle.  I don't have those answers.

I am agreed 100% that this great nation affords us all the potential to become the best we can be, but it's a much harder question to ask how we impose social limits internally upon ourselves.  How do we fix that?  How do we teach young girls that it's cool to be scientists, doctors, and politicians? or convice young boys that it's cool to be nurses, teachers, and artists?  And vice-versa?  And why does our value system deem work like teaching or nursing to be worth so much less than that of an actor or an athlete?  I like the trend I'm seeing toward mentoring - people in particular jobs befriending youngsters with interest and encouraging them.  That can only help.

Initiative will definitely propel you down the right path...but I question how our young people know what path is the one they wish to pursue - how they recognize the value when values seem so skewed?  And if they're not getting a clear message that there is VALUE, then I'm sure a lot of then wonder 'What's the diff?'

Maybe I oughta move this over to the 'Serious Discussions About Life' Thread?  Say the word and I will.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2007, 06:45:16 am »
At the risk of making your blog heavier, Chuck...my apologies in advance...

No reason to apologize, Lynne!   I enjoy heavy topics as well.  My blog is not called "All that is sweetness and light"!  ;)

people can talk about whatever they want here, and I'm glad that one of my poems started this convo.  There may be light topics throughout, but I hope that if other members want to continue this, they'll post!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #317 on: October 18, 2007, 06:53:26 am »
Good morning, BetterMost!

so, how the hell is everyone today?

My body is acting weird today.   :laugh:  after being at the slash bash, I was back to my old eating habits, and now that I'm back on schedule, it's like my body is saying "No........bring back the junk food!"   :laugh:  I'm feeling a little bloated and lethargic, but it's starting to get better.

Today's video works with today's poem, which was originally issued as a "challenge" by Rich (loneleeb3).  We were talking about my poems, and he asked me to write one about fathers and daughters.  I had one done for him in about 20 minutes.  I sent it to him, and about 5 minutes later, got a phone call from him, thanking me.  I had not expected that reaction.

So, here's the video.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgZftrobqlg[/youtube]

and here is today's poem!

Daddy’s Little Girl

------------------------------------------

Good things come in small packages
I never believed that
Until the day you arrived
And I held you in my arms

How can I do this
Be all that she needs
And take care of her
For the rest of my days

I’m just a man
I’m supposed to feel strong
But this tiny bundle of life
Has turned me upside down

So much to teach you
To walk, talk and play
School work and home work
Boys, life, and love

Please remember I’m flawed
And though I’ll try my best
I will make mistakes
So please don’t lose faith in me

I’ll always be here
To hold you and love you
From your very first breath
To my very last breath

And though someday a man
Will be your new number one
Just keep this in mind
You’re always daddy’s little girl

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #318 on: October 18, 2007, 07:30:46 am »
You're killinme this Mornin!  :'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #319 on: October 18, 2007, 08:16:07 am »
Friend that is the best thing I have see you write. Your amazing.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."