Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2571134 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"H" is The House of Mirth (2000)
« Reply #2300 on: December 27, 2007, 08:43:35 pm »
LOVED this movie!  Gillian Anderson was amazing!

Next up: "I" from 1999

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"I" is Idle Hands (1999)
« Reply #2301 on: December 27, 2007, 09:14:07 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"J" is Juicy Danger Meets Burning Man (1998)
« Reply #2302 on: December 27, 2007, 10:09:32 pm »
==comment==

Performance art meets the Burning Man festival. I've never seen it, not sure I want to.

==aside==

Oilgun, welcome back. I've missed you these past few days.

Next up: "K" from 1997
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"K" is Kiss Me Guido (1997)
« Reply #2303 on: December 27, 2007, 10:56:10 pm »
I would have preferred an image for a short called Keanu's Wet Dream which sounds delicious!  Or for an early Scott Speedman Canadian indy called Kitchen Party but opted for this more well known Sundance hit:

Mainwriter: Thanks for the welcome back!! Christmas would be such a great holiday if we didn't have to spend it with family!!
Juicy Danger Meets Burning Man?!!  Yikes, wasn't there a Jumanji or something? :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Aside: Oilgun
« Reply #2304 on: December 27, 2007, 11:34:52 pm »

Juicy Danger Meets Burning Man?!!  Yikes, wasn't there a Jumanji or something? :laugh:

Actually, Jumanji hasn't been played, but it is the wrong year (1995). Isn't the performance group Juicy Danger from Toronto? Your neck of the woods?

Like I said, good to have you back.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

Re: Aside: Oilgun
« Reply #2305 on: December 28, 2007, 12:43:54 am »
Actually, Jumanji hasn't been played, but it is the wrong year (1995). Isn't the performance group Juicy Danger from Toronto? Your neck of the woods?

Like I said, good to have you back.

L

I've never heard of them but they sound really cool!  It seems they were a couple of performance artists from Vancouver, I think, doing an underground circus act called teh Juicy Danger Show:

Juicy Danger Meets Burning Man takes the viewer on a wild ride in the lives of two endearing and engaging circus-performers, a cute, funny, and deranged couple addicted to creating their own world of delicious imagination and delirious action.

Always up for new challenges and adventures, The Juicy Danger Show (Tom Comet & Christine Taylor), took their show to the ultimate venue--the Burning Man Festival, the neo-pagan, techno, pyro-rite held each Labour Day weekend on a 400-square mile slab of alkaline desert in Nevada, a place where everything is sanctioned during a five-day bacchanalian, phantasmagoric, sense-shattering celebration of ecstatic experience. At its climax, 25,000 revelers witness The Burning of The Man, an exploding, conflagrating, fiery effigy of a fifty-foot tall timber giant, with a body like an electrical tower and a head like a Japanese lantern--symbol of everything and nothing, a spectacle beyond spectacle, awesome, mystical, the millennial event, the planet's greatest rave.

Juicy Danger Meets Burning Man accompanies Tom Comet and Christine Taylor into the wild and incredible world of Burning Man, where they discover a cast of characters who like themselves, celebrate life, art, self-expression--a life lived in flame. Tom and Christine perform their own unique act, including the unveiling of a ten-foot-tall transgendered monstrosity from another dimension, a flame thrower, a lawn mower, a watermelon, several heads of lettuce, and a nerve racking performance with a chain saw. The film gives insight into the motivations that drive performance artists like Tom and Christine, and explores the psychological dynamics that unite them in their art and their compulsive desire to act out fantasies of extreme hazard and danger.

- From the Documentary Channel

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Lone Star (1996)
« Reply #2306 on: December 28, 2007, 02:01:06 am »

From IMDB:

Lone Star" was John Sayles' first look at a state, followed by "Limbo" (Alaska), "Sunshine State" (Florida) and "Silver City" (Colorado). This one focuses on a border town in Texas, and the influences of and conflicts between the white, black and Hispanic populations there. It starts when they discover the remains of racist Sheriff Charlie Wade (Kris Kristofferson), murdered under mysterious circumstances many years earlier; Sheriff Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper) leads the investigation. In the process of everything, we get to see - among other things - the battle over education in the Lone Star State: the school only wants to teach the white people's side of history, but Pilar Cruz (Elizabeth Pena) wants to teach it from the Mexican point of view. As it is, this town carries many secrets, many of which are about to blow open. This was, in my opinion, John Sayles' greatest movie ever. It is not to be missed.

Next up: M from 1995

Offline Ellemeno

"M" is Mighty Aphrodite (1995)
« Reply #2307 on: December 28, 2007, 02:44:03 am »

Next: N in 1994

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"N" is The November Men (1994)
« Reply #2308 on: December 28, 2007, 09:06:55 am »
==synopsis==

Troma, that little independent tiffany company that produced such delicate bon-bons as The Toxic Avenger and Surf Nazis Must Die, set up their own specialty branch, 50th Street Films, to release films requiring a more delicate touch. So what better outfit to handle a quiet little direct-to-video release about presidential assassination like The November Men? Director Paul Williams stars as Arthur Gwenlyn, who organizes a gang of revolutionaries, terrorists, war veterans, and cut-throats to journey to Washington to kill then-President George Bush. Williams, going the Oliver Stone route, utilizes a bevy of actual footage of George Bush and other political leaders, charmingly framed in gun sights. But as Gwenlyn's men move closer to Washington and their target, Gwenlyn's own motives for bringing the group to the nation's capital become more mysterious and obscure. ~ Paul Brenner, All Movie Guide

==comment==

Starring Leslie Bevis, who, in one of those small world moments, I have actually met! She is the sister of a good friend of my husband's with whom we have unfortunately, lost touch. Last I heard, he was the Program Manager for New Hampshire Public Radio.

Next up: "O" in 1993

Offline oilgun

"O" is Ordinary Magic (1993)
« Reply #2309 on: December 28, 2007, 09:33:16 am »
Starring a young Ryan Reynolds:

From an IMDB user:
I come very close to adoring this movie. Besides its thoughtful presentation of Hinduism in action, in the life of one young practitioner, it admirably portrays the sense of displacement the central character Jeffrey [Ganesh is his nickname] feels after his father dies and he realizes that, even though he has grown up in India and considers himself an Indian, he is viewed as a "foreigner" by most of the people in the village in which he has lived. He goes to Canada [to the U.S. in the book] to live with an aunt he has never known and to try to adapt to Western life. But, as it turns out, he is as much an eye-opener to his fellow students as the West is to him. Toward the end the film is a little too simplistic, in its presentation of Jeffrey's determination to put his Hindu beliefs up against a voracious development planner, but overall this is a feel-good movie with true heart and soul. The original novel, first called "Ganesh" and now published as "Ordinary Magic" as well, is a fine and worthy young adult book, intelligent enough for adults too.

Next up "P" from 1992
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:48:46 pm by oilgun »