Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570823 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"N" is A Night at the Opera
« Reply #2390 on: January 06, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »

A total of 15 people were in the famous stateroom scene (above):
Driftwood (1)
the stowaways Fiorello, Tomasso and Riccardo [who were in the trunk] (2-4)
two chambermaids (5-6)
an engineer who comes to turn off the heat (7)
a manicurist (8)
the engineer's burly assistant (9)
a young woman looking for her Aunt and asking to use the phone (10)
a cleaning woman (11)
and four staff stewards bearing trays of food (12-15).
They all tumble out when Mrs. Claypool (Margaret Dumont) opens the door.

Here's the scene (3:13).  IMDb suggests that the whole scene was adlibbed.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQu5G79n1M[/youtube]

Here are a couple of lines:

Henderson: What's a hermit doing with four beds?
Otis B. Driftwood: Well, you see those first three beds?
Henderson: Yes.
Otis B. Driftwood: Last night, I counted five thousand sheep in those three beds, so I had to have another bed to sleep in. You wouldn't want me to sleep with the sheep, would you?

Otis B. Driftwood: That woman? Do you know why I sat with her? Because she reminded me of you.
Mrs. Claypool: Really?
Otis B. Driftwood: Of course, that's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips! Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? (aside) If she figures that one out, she's good.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
'O' is One Year Later
« Reply #2391 on: January 06, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"P" is The Phantom Empire
« Reply #2392 on: January 06, 2008, 03:31:50 pm »

The Phantom Empire, starring Gene Autry the Singing Cowboy, was a 12-chapter 1935 Mascot serial that combined the western, musical, and science fiction genres.  This was Gene Autry's first starring role, playing himself as a singing cowboy.

=aside=Paul
I love that Groucho predated Ossana and McMurtry.  Thanks for the funny clip.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Q" is A Quiet Fourth
« Reply #2393 on: January 06, 2008, 03:43:56 pm »
Very slim pickins for "Q".

A short comedy starring Betty Grable.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is Reckless
« Reply #2394 on: January 06, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »
==from and IMDb commenter==

Although Jean Harlow disliked playing this part in Reckless because she was a friend of Libby Holman on whom her part is based, she did it anyway, because it was a great part and she turned in a great performance. It was also her first of two films with William Powell whom she was going to marry at the time she died.

No doubt the notoriety of the Zachary Smith Reynolds suicide which was in the presence of Ms. Holman, well known torch singer from the twenties was a wonderful story. Can you see the wheels turning in Louis B. Mayer's mind? Star Jean Harlow in this film, also because of her own suicide scandal involving her late husband, Paul Bern. This can't miss at the box office and it didn't.

Of course if the film were made today, it would also include Libby Holman's lesbian affairs. As the Code was now in place, that was an aspect that MGM couldn't film in Reckless.

Although Harlow is clearly in the lead, Franchot Tone also got one of his best roles as the young millionaire from the horsey set who's not wrapped too tight although that's not apparent at first. For once his part from MGM did not include just wearing tails and being charming.

Of the leads William Powell is clearly in third place, he just has to be dapper and supportive as the family lawyer for Harlow and grandmother May Robson. He gets to do a great drunk act though. Speaking of Robson her part in Reckless probably led to her being cast as Janet Gaynor's grandmother in A Star Is Born.

This was an early film for Rosalind Russell who plays the girl Tone jilts when he marries Harlow. She plays it nice and supportive. Russell did China Seas as well with Harlow and in her memoirs, she says that Harlow was a kind, generous, and supportive to a new kid on the lot. Who could know she would be dead within two years.

Reckless is one of Jean Harlow's best acted parts in her career. Fans of her and Franchot Tone should not miss this film by any means.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"S" is She
« Reply #2395 on: January 06, 2008, 06:55:32 pm »

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
"T" is Top Hat
« Reply #2396 on: January 06, 2008, 07:25:16 pm »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: ABCs at the Movies: 1935
« Reply #2397 on: January 07, 2008, 01:48:14 am »
Fred and Ginger are simply the greatest, and the cure for what ails ya.  Here's "Dancing Cheek to Cheek" from "Top Hat" (plus a lesson in Spanish):

(5:03)

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LWMKl6vHjc[/youtube]
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"U" is Uncivil Warriors
« Reply #2398 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:29 am »

Again, slim pickins for "U".

IMDb:  Set in the civil war, the stooges are spies for the north. They impersonate southern officers and infiltrate the enemy ranks to get valuable information. On the run when they are discovered, they hide in a cannon and are blown back to their northern headquarters.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Vanishing Riders
« Reply #2399 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:46 am »
==synopsis==from IMDb

Bill Jones and his newly adopted son Tim get jobs on a ranch in an area supposedly haunted by ghosts. The outlaw Wolf Larson and his gang hire on at the same ranch intending to rustle the cattle. When Bill learns of Larson's true identity, he has a plan that uses the gang's fear of ghosts to bring them in.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!