Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570500 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"W" is Woman in Red
« Reply #2400 on: January 07, 2008, 01:06:19 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is A Midsummer Night's Dream
« Reply #2401 on: January 07, 2008, 01:55:08 pm »

That's Mickey Rooney as Puck.

And James Cagney as Bottom.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Y" is You Gotta Be A Football Hero
« Reply #2402 on: January 07, 2008, 02:31:26 pm »
A Popeye cartoon. From an IMDb commenter:

Do you want to see literal giants on the gridiron? Well, here they are with Bluto and his football team, who come out on the field and are as tall as the strange- looking goal posts! Bluto quickly grabs fickle Olive out of the stands. Olive is wearing the big coonskin coat one used to see at the football games back in the '20s and '30s. Popeye is left alone and humiliated in the stands.

What's worse is Olive returns and gives a big cheer and sings "You've Got To Be Football Hero....To Get Along With the Beautiful Girls."

"I takes that from no woman," says Popeye, who then leaps out of seat and follows a sign that says "New Players Register Here." Only in cartoons can one be in the stands one minute, and be playing in the game the next!!!

What's happens after that is a series of silly and insane football visuals, especially 'cheerleader" Olive spelling out "Bluto" with her ultra-thin, elastic body! It's hilarious, as is "Swivel Hips" Popeye on the gridiron.

These old football games, from this one to Goofy to the Three Stooges to the Marx Brothers, are all the craziest, nonsensical farces you will ever seen....but a ton of fun to watch.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Z" is Zirkus Saran
« Reply #2403 on: January 07, 2008, 04:21:54 pm »
IMDb:  Knox owns half of the Circus Saran and acts as a clown there. He hides his circus life from his daughter and is very embarrassed when his daughter found out his true profession. This is a mediocre comedy at best. Hans Moser, who plays Knox, performs poorly, because the character he plays is simply not funny. Leo Slezak, who owns the other half of the circus, as well as Pat and Patachon perform better. The only really good thing of this film is its music composed by Robert Stolz, especially the song "Ein bisschen Sing-Sang und gute Kameradschaft" , which is all over movie.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Sun Never Sets
« Reply #2404 on: January 07, 2008, 04:39:52 pm »
on the British Empire. Time for another special round!

This one was suggested by Meryl, who posted "The Lives of a Bengal Lancer" in the last round. While looking for a picture, she came up with the idea of "films about the British Empire." Shall we give it a go?

In my view, movies could deal with the British Empire around the world, through history, along with British historical figures who were influential.

Movies from 1935 to the present can be played. The archive is up-to-date so please check there first for movies that haven't been played. Please include the year when you post the title. Wildcard X is in effect.

Let me know if you have questions. Have fun!

Leslie
GameMistress
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:25:57 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"A" is The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
« Reply #2405 on: January 07, 2008, 05:13:33 pm »

Glad you liked the theme, Leslie!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
"B" is for Beautiful Thing (1996)
« Reply #2406 on: January 07, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
B is for Beautiful Thing.
A very special Movie for me!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:32:39 pm by MaineWriter »
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"C" is Cotton Mary (1999)
« Reply #2407 on: January 07, 2008, 05:35:06 pm »
==synopsis==

In 1954, seven years after India has gained independence from Britain, many Indians still feel like second-class citizens in their own country, as the nation's sovereignty has not immediately erased the perception that the British are superior to Indians. An example is Cotton Mary, an Anglo-Indian nurse in the employment of the wife of a BBC correspondent. Mary claims she is the daughter of a British army officer (although she has no firm evidence) and views herself as more British than Indian. A Merchant/Ivory film.

==aside==loneleeb3

Welcome to the game!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"D" is The Deceivers (1988)
« Reply #2408 on: January 07, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

IMDb:  In 1825, India lives under fear. A mysterious religion's followers murder everyone that stands against their plans.  William Savage, a tax-collector of a British-Indian company, discovers the sect and decides to solve the mystery...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"E" is Exodus (1960)
« Reply #2409 on: January 07, 2008, 06:43:43 pm »

From IMDB:

The theme is the founding of the state of Israel. The action begins on a ship filled with Jewish immigrants bound for Israel who are being off loaded on Cyprus. An Intelligence officer succeeds in getting them back on board their ship only to have the harbor blocked by the British with whom they must negotiate. The second part of the film is about the situation in Israel as independence is declared and most of their neighbors attack them.