Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2571138 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"F" is The Far Pavilions (1984)
« Reply #2410 on: January 07, 2008, 07:27:31 pm »
==synopsis==

Based on the bestselling novel by M.M. Kaye, this mini-series is an epic of high adventure in colonial India revolving around the romance between Anjuli, a half-caste Indian princess, and Ash, a British officer raised in India. The Far Pavilions  drew upon and helped perpetuate a popular sense of "Raj nostalgia" in the early 1980s. As such, it offers a lavish, entertaining, but highly romanticized vision of exotic India under British rule. It was first shown on HBO, now available on DVD.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
G is for Gandhi (1982)
« Reply #2411 on: January 07, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »
Director Richard Attenborough’s epic biography charting the life of Mahatma Gandhi from a simple lawyer to a worldwide symbol of peace and understanding, the film won an incredible eight Academy Awards.
The film takes us from his London studies to becoming a young lawyer in South Africa, as an Indian he becomes subject to apartheid laws which leads him into direct confrontation with the apartheid regime of South Africa. Later in his native India, Gandhi’s methods of civil disobedience and passive resistance are used to form a peaceful movement to liberate his country from British rule; "You have been guests' in our home for long enough. Now we would like you to leave." When India won independence after WWII, religious differences came to the fore without a common foe to fight, and the country was partitioned into Muslim Pakistan and Hindu India. A Hindu assassin later gunned down Gandhi himself.

The crowd and massacre scenes are hugely impressive, but at the core is screen debutante Ben Kingsley's majestically understated performance. His best actor Oscar was one of eight the film garnered, including best director and best picture, Great cast includes Candice Bergen's American admirer, Edward Fox's brutal English colonel, Geraldine James as a disciple, and the stalwarts: Gielgud, Mills, Hordern and Howard.

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"H" is Henry V (1989)
« Reply #2412 on: January 07, 2008, 11:18:45 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

"I" is In the Name of the Father (1993)
« Reply #2413 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:12 pm »
I've got DDL on the brain after seeing There Will be Blood

==Aside==
I got the pins removed from my arm today!  They didn't use any local anesthetic but it wasn't that painful, surprisingly.  Four of them were removed with a reverse drill, I could actually feel them being unscrewed from my bones.  Very weird!  The other two, they pulled out with plyers(!) One of those hurt like hell, I was punching and kicking (just the air, not the technician & doctor) I asked the doc if he had a collection of whips at home.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:32:26 am by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"J" is Jubilee (1977)
« Reply #2414 on: January 08, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Sort of a British A Clockwork Orange, Derek Jarman's bizarre film about Queen Elizabeth I visiting a post-apocalyptic 20th century Britain.

=aside= Gil
Glad the pins are out and you're in one piece.

Offline oilgun

Re: "J" is Jubilee (1977)
« Reply #2415 on: January 08, 2008, 01:06:01 am »

Sort of a British A Clockwork Orange, Derek Jarman's bizarre film about Queen Elizabeth I visiting a post-apocalyptic 20th century Britain.

=aside= Gil
Glad the pins are out and you're in one piece.

Thanks!

RE: Jubilee.  Would you recommend it?  I loved his Caravaggio and also enjoyed The Best of England, Edward II and The Garden.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"K" is Kim (1950)
« Reply #2416 on: January 08, 2008, 01:09:02 am »

=aside=oilgun
I'm glad to hear you're de-pinned  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"L" is The Last King Of Scotland (2006)
« Reply #2417 on: January 08, 2008, 01:14:19 am »
Director: Kevin Macdonald, 2006

Nine years after Uganda gained its independence from Britain in 1962, a former private in the King’s African Rifles named Idi Amin seized power. This film is a fictionalized version of the reign of Amin as seen through the eyes of Nicholas Garrigan, a young Scottish doctor who quite accidentally becomes the dictator's personal physician. A compelling portrayal of Amin's erratic and murderous regime as well as the trauma of postcolonial Africa in the wake of British rule. Based on the novel by Giles Foden.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
« Reply #2418 on: January 08, 2008, 07:48:24 am »
==synopsis==

This adaptation of the famous novella by Rudyard Kipling tells the story of Daniel Dravot and Peachy Carnahan, two ex-soldiers roaming through British India. They decide that the country is too small for them, so they trek beyond the Northwest frontier to "Kafiristan" in order to become kings in their own right. Kipling appears briefly as a character in his own fictional tale.

==aside==Gil

Thanks for the orthopedic update!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"N" is Northwest Frontier (1959)
« Reply #2419 on: January 08, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »
  also known as 

This film takes place in 1905 in the Northwest mountain regions of India where a local Hindu raja allied to the British is battling rebel Muslim tribesmen. In order to get his son – the crown prince – and his governess to safety the raja entrusts them to the care of a British officer.
Ich bin ein Brokie...