Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570825 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"I" is Innocence (2000)
« Reply #2590 on: January 18, 2008, 10:08:45 am »
==comment==

One IMDb commenter snidely said, "Geezer love." Other commenters loved it. Since I am rapidly approaching geezer status, I'd probably like it. From Australia.

Fabienne, yes, isn't that a great picture?

Next up, J for 1999
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"J" is Jesus' Son (1999)
« Reply #2591 on: January 18, 2008, 10:41:36 am »

Next: K for 1998
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:46:40 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"K" is Kenoma (1998)
« Reply #2592 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:51 pm »
From IMDb

KENOMA is one of the films that is fueling the rebirth of Brazilian cinema. KENOMA is one of over 40 top of the line full feature films made in Brazil last year, and one of the best. Walter Salles(CENTRAL STATION) was relatively unknown though his previous film was a European co-production starring Fernanda Torres (Montenegro's daughter) but not released in North America and Europe. Then, virtually overnight, he (and his former leading lady's mother) became synonymous with Brazilian cinema with CENTRAL STATION's hype. A similar fate is equally deserved by KENOMA. Since 1996, a Brazilian film has competed for the foreign language film Oscar every year. KENOMA could be the next one (though it faces stiff competition from what we are seeing coming out of Brazil now). This film tells a simple, timeless story: the dream of building a machine of endless motion, that continues generating movement pertually. This quixotic story takes place in the small town of KENOMA, and the chaos caused by our hero's pursuit of his "impossible dream" defines the film's plot.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Love! Valour! Compassion! (1997)
« Reply #2593 on: January 18, 2008, 12:44:24 pm »

From Yahoo Movies:
Set in and about a sprawling, airy Victorian house on a private lake--eight male friends, all of them gay, leave the city behind for three simple weekends of rest and relaxation. But that's the least of what they experience. Over the next three summer holiday weekends--Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day--these eight friends will fall in love and fall from grace, they will hurt one another and forgive one another. They will form couples and break apart, they will celebrate strength and give in to weakness, they will play jokes on each other and give a shoulder to each other. They will form an assortment of hilarious, bewildering and inspiring permutations on contemporary relationships. They will even don tu-tus, for a very good cause. Sparks will fly and bonds will be sealed. But no one will emerge from these three weekends in the country the same. No one will leave without taking a humbling, surprising reminder of just how funny and heroic love is and how wondrous the human spirit can be.

Next: M for 1996

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is Michael Collins (1996)
« Reply #2594 on: January 18, 2008, 01:00:37 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is The Net (1995)
« Reply #2595 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:47 pm »

Next:  "O" from 1994

Offline oilgun

"O" ius Octobre (1994)
« Reply #2596 on: January 18, 2008, 03:53:16 pm »
==Comment==
I first picked Once Were Warriors and then decided to go with this Canadian film.  Although the director would probably not appreciate me calling it Canadian since he is a Québec separatist, lol!

IMDb Plot Summary: In October 1970, one group from the Front de Liberation du Quebec kidnapped the British Consul in Montreal. Few days later, a second group did the same with one of the Minister of the Quebec Government. If the first was released, the second was murdered. This is the story of the second group from the stand point of the political kidnappers. Written by Jean-Marie Berthiaume {[email protected]}

Next up: P in 1993

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"P" is The Pelican Brief (1993)
« Reply #2597 on: January 18, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »

Next up: Q in 1992

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Q" is Quartier Mozart (1992)
« Reply #2598 on: January 18, 2008, 04:36:38 pm »

IMDb:  Jean-Pierre Bekolo is doing with Quartier Mozart what Spike Lee has done for Brooklyn. This film is audacious, inventive, smart! Quartier Mozart is the character, sex is the challenge from the little ones to the elders... with all the trouble sex can bring. And we laugh at all this. Each line of dialog is full of energy... sometimes too much energy added by the pace of the editing and its music. This is what I expect from a movie, to reinvent the culture of the city it is taking place. Quartier Mozart is redefining what is a movie for Cameroon People as well as for all Africans. Very modern in the form and the content it is a real piece of art as well as a piece of pleasure!

Next up:  "R" from 1991.

Offline oilgun

"R" is The Rapture (1991)
« Reply #2599 on: January 18, 2008, 07:27:41 pm »
==Comment==
Any fans of Michael Tolkin out there?  He only directed two movies, this one and The New Age.  Very strange films but I like them a lot.

Next up:  S in 1990