Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199242 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2007, 07:12:13 pm »
Yee-Haw FrontRanger!! That's my favorite advice so far!   :P ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #291 on: November 17, 2007, 09:54:48 pm »
I remember my nannie giving me warm whiskey with melted butter and sugar for a bad cough when I was wee tiny.
I'll have to ask my mom about that.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #292 on: November 17, 2007, 10:39:49 pm »
Yeah -- it was. But the Sudafed was on the shelf. I don't know why the one I got was behind the counter. It  cost only $1.97.  :P Anyway, my headache feels a little better. Probably just from time passed.

When the law went into effect that made it more restrictive to get pseudoephedrine, the manufacturer "reformulated" Sudafed, essentially taking out of it the pseudoephedrine, creating a new drug that could still be sold over the counter without making people sign for it, and they still kept the Sudafed name, even though it no longer has pseudoephedrine in it. Go figure. ...  ???

Years ago I started reading the labels on over-the-counter medications. I haven't bought brand-name Sudafed, Tylenol (acetaminophen), or Advil (ibuprofen) since.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #293 on: November 17, 2007, 10:46:13 pm »
I remember my nannie giving me warm whiskey with melted butter and sugar for a bad cough when I was wee tiny.

And that is what you call a toddy.  :D

When I had a bad cough as kid, my mother had two remedies. First was something she had learned from her grandmother (my great-grandmother): She would give me a couple of spoonsful of brown sugar mixed with butter. Tasted awful good, but my colds and bronchitis were always so bad that it never worked. The next thing she would try would be about a shot of whiskey mixed with warm water and sugar. That usually helped settle a cough so I could get to sleep.

These days, when I have a cough, at bedtime I will take about three "fingers" of port in a juice glass, get into bed, and sip the port slowly. Port is red wine fortified with brandy. It works just as well as Nyquil to settle a cough so you can get to sleep, and it tastes a whole lot better!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #294 on: November 17, 2007, 10:47:44 pm »
Hey Jeff,
I hope your feelin better!
If not you can always try ya some Jewish penicillin!
Matzo ball soup! LOL
One of my best friends is Jewish and If I sneeze her bubbie runs to the kitchen and whips up some! LOL
I don't know if it helps withthe cold butit sure tastes good!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #295 on: November 17, 2007, 10:53:53 pm »
Hey Jeff,
I hope your feelin better!
If not you can always try ya some Jewish penicillin!
Matzo ball soup! LOL
One of my best friends is Jewish and If I sneeze her bubbie runs to the kitchen and whips up some! LOL
I don't know if it helps withthe cold butit sure tastes good!  ;D

Oh, God, I had matzo ball soup once. It was so greasy it made me sick to my stomach.  :P

I'll stick with Campbell's chicken noodle, thank you very much.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #296 on: November 17, 2007, 11:05:10 pm »
When the law went into effect that made it more restrictive to get pseudoephedrine, the manufacturer "reformulated" Sudafed, essentially taking out of it the pseudoephedrine, creating a new drug that could still be sold over the counter without making people sign for it, and they still kept the Sudafed name, even though it no longer has pseudoephedrine in it. Go figure. ...  ???

The REAL ephedrine is in ephedra, a bush that grows in the Rocky Mountains. It's also called Mormon Tea bush. I saw many of these bushes in my recent visit to Chaco canyon in the Four Corners area of northern New Mexico. There was a highly-advertised cold medicine called Ephidac in the ?80s? ?90s? made from ephedra, but it was taken off the market because it could cause heart attacks and all sorts of negative reactions. Pseudoephedrene was then developed, but I think it was also proven to be harmful.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2007, 12:29:36 am »
Hi ya'll...a newbie over here... ;D

Speaking of drugs....for colds that is..I tried that Walgreens brand for Sudafed...yuck,didn't do squat...felt like a fish looking thru a bowl. Just drank lots of green tea and some hot toddie's...awesome...that worked. Cold almost gone now  ::)

AG
             Everyone has a particular favorite brand I think.  Some work for one person, others for someone else.  I
guess thats why there are so many out on the market....

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2007, 12:48:39 am »

Hey that sounds good! Whiskey does do a great job and warmed with melted butter and sugar sounds even better. Can we have that if we don't have a cough... :)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #299 on: November 18, 2007, 12:52:16 am »
Has anybody ever head of the thing where you put a big onion slice with sugar which causes a broth which you then inhale and it clears you out?