Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199883 times)

Scott6373

Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #760 on: January 02, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »

"Falling in love does not save us from the bad things in the world."

But our ability to fall in love does.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #761 on: January 02, 2008, 04:00:44 pm »
I disagree. I think the ability to do so opens us up to them. :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #762 on: January 02, 2008, 04:01:29 pm »

That's a sad place to be then.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #763 on: January 02, 2008, 04:03:08 pm »

Maybe you could elaborate on that a bit?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #764 on: January 02, 2008, 04:10:32 pm »

We fall in love with all sorts of people for all sorts of reason, some, and in fact most are not good reasons.  The act of loving someone is usually always complicated by our own preconceived (and media-sized) notions of what loving another human being means, but, despite that, we focus on the "act of loving" someone, and what we receive in return rather than the real gift, which is the knowledge that we are capable of truly loving another human being unconditionally and without reservation.  Apply that, which is, for all you Christians out there, Jesus' "Golden Rule" as a test to all those failed romances and see how they stand up.  It gives us the chance to view our concept of love (as it pertains to romantic love) in a different way. 

If I love someome, I don't stop loving them because I didn't get what I want from them.   To deny that reality of what we announced as "love" by saying that we no longer love that person, or that we "made a mistake" is to say that we are not capable of truly loving someone.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #765 on: January 02, 2008, 04:17:59 pm »

I disagree with this. 

Life is going to always have both joy and pain in it.  The act of falling in love will not bring you pain or bad things.  The actions you (or others) take and your reactions to that will bring pain or bad things.

If you close yourself off to love, you will still have bad things happen.  Bad things happen to EVERYONE.

but if you open yourself to love, you allow yourself to feel the joy there, and in the process find a partner to help you through the bad things when they happen.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #766 on: January 02, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »
We fall in love with all sorts of people for all sorts of reason, some, and in fact most are not good reasons.  The act of loving someone is usually always complicated by our own preconceived (and media-sized) notions of what loving another human being means, but, despite that, we focus on the "act of loving" someone, and what we receive in return rather than the real gift, which is the knowledge that we are capable of truly loving another human being unconditionally and without reservation.  Apply that, which is, for all you Christians out there, Jesus' "Golden Rule" as a test to all those failed romances and see how they stand up.

I don't think I would disagree, but I don't see how that saves or protects us from the bad things that happen to good people in life all the time. But let be, let be. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »

I think it opens you up, to all sorts of possibilities, good and bad. And one thing I have learned in life, nothing will ever be completely good or completely bad, but will have a mixture of both.

It is like a universal law, you take gold for instance, it is a very soft metal and if you try to make something out of it it will crumple. You need to make an alloy with a stronger, less desirable metal like copper, to give it strength.

That is why the things that don;t kill us make us strong. It becomes part of us if we let it, and we can gain strenght from that force that crashed into us.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2008, 04:40:50 pm »
Truman got what I was going for.
When you open the door to your heart you open it to everything. Love pain and the whole crazy thing! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #769 on: January 02, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »
Truman got what I was going for.  When you open the door to your heart you open it to everything. Love pain and the whole crazy thing! LOL

Life is all or nothing.

You open yourself up, you feel everything.  (alive)

Or, you close yourself off, and feel nothing.  (dead)

why be dead, when you can be alive?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!