Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199573 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #800 on: January 03, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »
I used to live above a family of 4.  Pretty much of the lower class (economically speaking), and the way I would hear those parents talking to their kids very nearly made me call DSS.  There are so many factors that come into play though.  The stress of never knowing where the money is going to come from not being the least of it, but I could never tolerate hearing those kids spoken to that way.  It made me sad and mad.

People learn what they live with as children, and so it gets perpetuated from generation to generation.

My family background is working class, and my parents never used four-letter words around me when I was a child. And I got a good spanking from my mother when I was five or six years old and she caught me saying, "What the hell?"  :laugh:

The way I see some parents speak to their kids in public--yelling and screaming at them--and treating them--jerking them around by the arms--makes me sad.  :(

Do I say anything? No. If the parents act that way toward their kids, how will they act toward a middle-aged stranger who says something?  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #801 on: January 03, 2008, 01:55:37 pm »
People learn what they live with as children, and so it gets perpetuated from generation to generation.

My family background is working class, and my parents never used four-letter words around me when I was a child. And I got a good spanking from my mother when I was five or six years old and she caught me saying, "What the hell?"  :laugh:

The way I see some parents speak to their kids in public--yelling and screaming at them--and treating them--jerking them around by the arms--makes me sad.  :(

Do I say anything? No. If the parents act that way toward their kids, how will they act toward a middle-aged stranger who says something?  :(

I actually see much of the opposite, which is equally as sad. The outrageous level of child misbehavior and kids screaming AT THEIR PARENTS and even using four letter words is all around my part of the world...and generally the parents do nothing. Kids being rude to strangers; nothing done by parents. Kids disrespecting store merchandise; nothing done by parents. Kids yelling and screaming in restaurants or airplanes; parents do nothing. And the kids appear to have about everything they want.

What a world.

Scott6373

« Reply #802 on: January 03, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »
It's all just learned behavior, whichever end of the spectrum you experience.  Of course parents have the toughest job; instilling good ethics and values in their kids, but I do think to some extent we all have a responsability to raise kids, even those of us who aren't parents.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2008, 02:32:44 pm »
It's all just learned behavior, whichever end of the spectrum you experience.  Of course parents have the toughest job; instilling good ethics and values in their kids, but I do think to some extent we all have a responsability to raise kids, even those of us who aren't parents.

And what if the parents didn't have good ethics and values instilled in them in the first place?  :-\

I'll never forget the time I saw a nicely dressed woman walking on the street with a small boy. She unwrapped a candy bar and just let the wrapper fall on the sidewalk. And she was standing right next to a trash container when she did it. That might be a minor matter, but is that child going to learn not to litter? I doubt it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #804 on: January 03, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
Speaking of kids:

"Would you rather pack your lunch or walk to school?"  :-\
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #805 on: January 03, 2008, 05:01:12 pm »
Speaking of kids:

What does one have to do with the other?
 ???
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #806 on: January 03, 2008, 05:07:48 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #807 on: January 03, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »
Bozo used to say that, too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #808 on: January 03, 2008, 07:20:33 pm »

lmao!  Oh man.....

my friend Tina told me that her father said that to her once, and she thougth it was hystercial.  So she asked her mother the same thing, except it was changed to "did you walk to school, or bring your lunch?"

Her mother went into a 20 minute explanation on how she did both.  lmao!   Bless her heart!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

injest

« Reply #809 on: January 04, 2008, 12:25:06 am »
It might not hurt them, but I'd be concerned that it might coarsen them.

:-* :-*

love you Jeff.