Author Topic: Pictures of the day  (Read 638238 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Pictures of the day
« Reply #530 on: April 16, 2008, 03:01:39 pm »
Oh lord! 25lbs and too many beers ago! LOL

I remember that night!!! That was the first night we were there!!! That was after the night at Sundance and Rich was feeling very very good. That is my thumb in the picture to the right of Michelle and to the left of Eric. Thank God that was all of me that made it into the picture. Janice was sitting to the left of Michelle. I'm not sure why Bay City John looks so blown away cause I think Truman is right that he was the only one sober. I remember Rich ordered all these little side dishes of things and I thought he was ordering child's meals  ;D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #531 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:59 pm »
What was the name of that place, Mel's Diner?

(Speaking of thumbs......)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #532 on: April 17, 2008, 08:07:13 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1k2fgWesXc[/youtube]

;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #533 on: April 17, 2008, 08:35:43 am »

(Speaking of thumbs......)
It sure was!
Grat pic of Jack!! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #534 on: April 17, 2008, 09:00:32 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1k2fgWesXc[/youtube]

;D

Wow, such a kind thing for Chad to do. 

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #535 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:46 am »
I have always liked Chad Everett. Hey Paul you know what, someone told me they have the sepia picture of me and you set as their screen saver, ain't that nice?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #536 on: April 18, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »

Actually it was Mel's Drive-In although it was much more like a diner since you certainly could not drive in to it. Apparently according to the pictures and stories on the wall it was actually a drive in once upon a time. The t shirt I got says Mel's Drive-In though.

Also, speaking of San Francisco, the hotel we stayed in - Catherdral Hill - was originally the Jack Tar Hotel which was a small chain of hotels. Most of this was all on the back of the hotel restaurant menu and the restaurant and bar are still called Jack Tar. Anyway, when it was originally built, it was one of the only, if not the only, hotel that had parking underneath. When guests would check in the hotel would park the car and change the oil. Also, the Jack Tar Hotel is mentioned in the book "Tales of the City."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #537 on: April 18, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »
Actually it was Mel's Drive-In although it was much more like a diner since you certainly could not drive in to it. Apparently according to the pictures and stories on the wall it was actually a drive in once upon a time. The t shirt I got says Mel's Drive-In though.

Also, speaking of San Francisco, the hotel we stayed in - Catherdral Hill - was originally the Jack Tar Hotel which was a small chain of hotels. Most of this was all on the back of the hotel restaurant menu and the restaurant and bar are still called Jack Tar. Anyway, when it was originally built, it was one of the only, if not the only, hotel that had parking underneath. When guests would check in the hotel would park the car and change the oil. Also, the Jack Tar Hotel is mentioned in the book "Tales of the City."

I remember the cab driver telling me that one time on a ride over there from Joe's apartment. He told me it had been Jack Tar's anyway I hadn't heard about the oil change or it being in Tales of the City.

Reminds me of this poem by Billy Collins that goes something like "The first to go is the characters, then the whole plot" about the books we read and gradually forget about until we get to the point we can re read them and it is like a virginal experence.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »
I remember the cab driver telling me that one time on a ride over there from Joe's apartment. He told me it had been Jack Tar's anyway I hadn't heard about the oil change or it being in Tales of the City.

Reminds me of this poem by Billy Collins that goes something like "The first to go is the characters, then the whole plot" about the books we read and gradually forget about until we get to the point we can re read them and it is like a virginal experence.

It was only briefly mentioned, but I felt kind of strange when I read it knowing that I had stayed there. I have never read the book before now. It was one of the things Jim told me about while he was showing me around the City. He knew I loved the city and so I ended up with a whole list of things to check out. It was funny I was working on someone's computer the other day and they had a background on their computer of a city. I knew it looked familiar and I asked what city it was. It was San Francisco and was a picture of that really cool looking green building that is next to the Transamerica Pyramid. After I figured out what the picture was of I recognized everything.

It is hard to find much information about the Jack Tar hotel chain for some reason. I know it was a rather small chain and I don't think it lasted long. They did seem to be spread around a lot. For example there were some in tropical destinations outside the US, there was one in Durham, NC, one in San Francisco, and others spread out through the US. I think they came along at a time when hotels were basically loosing out to the small roadside motels and downtown areas were going downhill. I think because of that the Jack Tar chain never made it as big as it would have during a different time period. It is strange that there seems to be little information on it though.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2008, 12:45:19 pm »
Where's the fire?  :o